Tips to sell a lot of records locally?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by 12" 45rpm, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have around 100 lps to sell of mostly generic pop/rock stuff from the 70/80s ( clapton, styx, barbara streisand etc ).. Most in VG+ condition. There are also a dozen audiophile pressings like Japanese pressing and some direct to disc records. I would happy to get $100-200 for it. What is the best strategy to sell them locally? Should I just take them to the priciest store? Or deal with the cheapest places since they are more likely to buy most of them? Are the cheaper stores going to know much about the audiophile pressings?

And do I call to make an appointment to make sure the "expert buyer" is in?

2. Take away the "audiophile" pressings and look them up on Discogs for desirability first. If you get $1 apiece for the others you're doing good.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yep, $1 would be good, and then go back the following week and see those same records you sold them for $1 selling for $10.

used record/CD store owners have become the thieves of the modern era.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    poe_man and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  4. 12" 45rpm

I have no problem with that! With overhead and everything else, I doubt they make much profit on those $10 records...

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

really 1000% mark-up doesn't bother you?

Dale A B and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  6. It's an absolute ripoff, which is why I won't deal with locals. I'd rather give them away.

black sheriff and Dale A B like this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Avoid the stores in the first instance. List them on craigslist (or similar online classifieds that will reach locals). In NYC, you'll be getting emails in about 5 seconds of your ad going live!

List it as an all or nothing deal sort of thing.

You'll easily get $100 for the lot, but list at $200. I'm sure you'll get it unless you have more Streisand than anything else. :)

8. 12" 45rpm

Not really. Most of those $10 records will sit for months/years and eventually get marked down and sell for $3-5.. Or they might sell for $10. So at the end of it all they are not getting 1000% markup on everything they buy from me for $1...

eddiel likes this.
  9. 12" 45rpm

Thanks, I never knew people buy lots on craigslist . I see people posting lots for sale but I always think who on earth would by hundreds of irrelevant records...

So I didn't want to be one of those dummies who naively posts irrelevant stuff on craigslist... But seems I might be mistaken...

eddiel likes this.
  10. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

I recently took 19 records of relatively invaluable titles in to a local store that I have purchased records from before. I accepted an offer of $27. Now many of those records I got for 50 cents at thrifts and some I paid just a dollar for. So I figure I broke even. He sells them for $7 but will go $6 if you quibble. Lots of stuff sits on his shelves for ever.

chazz101s likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.