The Walking Dead Season 8

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balzac

balzac Senior Member

That stuff with Beth at that hospital was friggin' "Breaking Bad" compared to where the show is at now.

2. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Norman Reedus/Daryl has turned into the Paris Hilton of this show. That is, Paris Hilton was essentially "famous for being famous." And that's kind of where Daryl is as a character at this point. To the degree he's still the most popular character on the show, he's popular because he's popular. He hasn't done anything of consequence on the show in several years. The last thing he did that had a major impact on the show? Getting Glenn killed. Really.

bartels76, EVOLVIST and Gumboo like this.
  3. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Regarding Negan, while the last episode had some much more palatable, non-irritating moments with Negan (which unfortunately also highlights that some of his best moments on the show have been related to Carl; but of course they KILLED Carl off so we won't get any more of that), I'm not get prepared to say he's taken a huge turn on the show as far as being over-the-top and goofy and a caricature. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out.

For quite some time, well before news of Carl's demise surfaced, I've been saying that the last chance for Negan to have an interesting arc on the show would come from having his relationship with Carl develop in a generally similar to fashion to how it goes down in the comic books. We got a tiny taste of the beginning of that when Carl tried to infiltrate Negan's compound. But in the comic book, this sort of thing plays out further and it starts to alienate Rick and Carl from each other, etc. But none of that can happen now. Which makes me think there's a good chance Negan's story will end at the end of this season (whether they literally kill him off or not; and I would guess they probably *won't* kill him off so that they can leave it open for Negan to pop back up as the Governor did, maybe just not quite so quickly).

rufus t firefly likes this.
  4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I think impulsively driving a truck into the Saviors' "Sanctuary", giving the Saviors an opportunity to break the siege, was pretty significant. It may have been the key failure to derail Rick's elaborate plan.

Ethan B likes this.
  5. So, they come across a dude with a powerful ass ham radio who had been calling for days, trying every channel, and he didn't reach The Saviors once? The Saviors had to be five miles away, max, probably less!

Why were the zombies laying face down in the swamp? The is an unexplained development.

And why did father Gabriel's vision appear like he was peering out of a butthole from the inside out?

I'm pretty sure that Eugene will die a virgin.

6. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Pretty much another throw away episode. When it was the top of the hour and the show was still on I thought "hurry up and end it already I gotta get up early". One aspect I did like is when the group arrived at the hilltop and there was no dialouge. Just Daryl mouthing "Carl".

7. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

The Saviors might not have been around yet when the guy was using the powerful ham radio. We don't know when the Saviors organized in relation to when the guy was using the ham radio.

The zombies in the swamp probably fell in and couldn't get out... hence being face down until a tasty human comes by.

If you saw Gabriel's eyes, the whites of his eyes were pretty much red. That's what was infected. His corneas. He could still see in a tunnel vision type of way, but that isn't very helpful.

I agree with your last point. Eugene will die a virgin.

8. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Another solid episode with lots of tension.

9. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Not a bad episode, I thought. Can't believe Eugene's luck when the priest put the blame on Carson. Dwight was lucky too, looks like he's back with Negan now and anyone who witnessed his treachery is dead or choosing to keep quiet.

The ham radio shack really caught my interest. I had a relative many years ago in the pre-internet days who was a radio ham and he had a shack full of equipment just like that. Kind of hard to believe the saviors didn't find that already.

Still no word on Heath. Huh.

Is launching zombies/zombie parts via catapult really an effective idea? I mean, at this point most people are used to gathering up the dead zombies and burning or burying them. Rick's team has disposed of thousands of zombies by now.

10. When Dwight came out from hiding and approached the Saviors, once one of them gave them his assault rifle I thought for certain that he'd turn and shoot them. But no, he went with them to risk being discovered as a traitor at the Savior compound. Made absolutely no sense to me.

Rufus McDufus and beat_truck like this.
  11. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

He may have avoided shooting them right then to avoid drawing any attention and bringing more Saviors that would have heard the gunfire.

Ethan B likes this.
  12. You're right. I had thought about the ham radio guy offing himself way before The Saviors got there. That's a logical explanation. However, if he died way earlier on, there was also more people with radios and walkie talkies moving about, and since we are talking about a 50 mile radius for The Walking Dead universe, maybe a hundred miles, but even if it was 500 miles, those ham radios can really reach out and touch someone. Plus, he lived close to a main road. I'm not buying that he couldn't find a single person with that radio, or by walking out a few yards and flagging down somebody in the road.

About the swap zombies, I'm sure you're right about this, too. They fell in and couldn't get out. It just seems to me that they would be submerged only to the point that they originally gave up on getting out, which means some would be maybe on their sides, some only half submerged, some on their backs, maybe a few face down. These zombies were all face down, and they all popped up at once, Then they started moving forward. It just looked weird and frankly, pretty contrived, as if we didn't know they were going to be there, and as if the zombies had a plan.

Otherwise, it was a fairly solid episode. Boring, but solid. I just knew that when they said "Rick's here!" at The Hilltop, that they would not actually show Rick coming through the gates until the following episode.

beat_truck and Lownote30 like this.
  13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

And they've rubbed zombie blood all over themselves as a way to walk among zombies without being bitten. So yeah, not sure how that'll work.

14. Right. So, we're saying that Daryl is ****ing up as much as Rick, yes? :)

15. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I think my biggest complaint at this point is that the show should've been like the Stand or Lost - the plot is almost secondary, you have all this time to develop this big pile of characters. And the first two seasons between Atlanta and Hershel's Farm worked well like that. Once it moved to the Governor then Negan, you have a lot of characters, and they never seem to develop any further. Daryl hasn't done anything in ages, Carl never became interesting, and the Priest. Man the priest could've been fascinating - they find him as a coward, he gets some confidence back, and could've been an interesting counterpoint to a world gone to hell. Instead, he's still a wimp, and Im not sure what they tried to do with him in yesterday's episode other than to break him down again and make him a wimp with no faith. They're starting to do some interesting stuff with Maggie, but if she's leaving too....

beat_truck, Kyhl and bartels76 like this.
  16. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

This episode proved that last week's good episode was a fluke rather then an exciting new direction in quality.

windfall and Alternative4 like this.
  17. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Why is there so much concern about Heath? In this kind of setting, it wouldn’t be surprising that some people venture out and never come back.

I’m also surprised the ham radio house hadn’t been discovered yet. So many groups of people are going out scavenging or looking for others yet there are still houses like this still intact?

The dr reaching for the gun was a dumb move but I guess he didn’t want to face the wrath of Negan.

The show is still interesting enough to keep me watching. But a couple of seasons ago I would have been really upset about Carl’s death. Now, I’m just annoyed Maggie and her fake Georgian accent weren’t killed off instead.

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Well said guidedbyvoices.

19. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

That is my biggest problem with the show too.

Carl is a great example of this problem. He is born of the apocalypse, he had seen all of the good and bad things the group had done. He should have been able to learn from those things and become a real leader, who people respect and want to follow by balancing the realities of the world yet with the compassion of someone who lost his family.

Carl was an opportunity to move away from Rick and the old gang into a new story with a new leader, one who was looking to make a new future rather than just trying to rebuild civilization like before. This would no doubt have regained some fans and fit in quite nicely with the current political climate.

But instead, they kill him off.

EVOLVIST and rufus t firefly like this.
  20. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

And how many times has someone had a face full of zombie blood (including in their mouths) when one has been shot or stabbed while attacking them?

I'm very close to switching off. If Negan isn't dead or captured by the end of this season I'm out.

Alternative4 likes this.
  21. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

In Negan's defence, getting hit in the face with a catapult load of zombie guts would be a bit disheartening.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  22. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm really detesting Eugene. I'm surprised the actor wants to keep playing such a limited role.

23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Carl's friend, the ex-med student that he helped, has now had his stock rise dramatically. He's now the only "doctor" in the area.

24. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Sign of a good actor. Eugene has gone from lovable to detested. He is in a pivotal role not a limited one. He is in control of the bullets which he could easily sabotage.

25. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

It may be just me, but I don't remember Eugene ever being lovable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.