Record Store Day "RSD" April 2018 Releases*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwd, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Varèse Sarabande - Wikipedia

2. cwd

cwd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, I found that, too, but the question is ANY OPINIONS on the label (preferably based on personal experience and not hearsay and scuttlebutt).

3. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

He coded the image from scratch, impressive. :tiphat:

johnnybrum likes this.
  4. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I bought the Black Friday RSD release of the Forbidden Zone soundtrack and it sounds alright. I have nothing to compare it to other than the original movie on blu ray. It isn’t the most lively album in my collection, but it wasn’t a big budget film to begin with.

5. cwd

Thanks!

6. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

In my experience, they're fine but nothing amazing.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  7. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

I like introducing the rhythm, but the overdubs are tacky. That said, this is not art, this is marketing, and the majority of us on this page are not the target market.

They're trying to find a way to make Dylan relevant and introduce him to new listeners. From a marketing angle, RSD is a great time to do that, because that is when buyers are most likely take a chance on something they wouldn't otherwise buy. I got into jazz by buying a Miles Davis 10" box set on RSD that I'd never have bought if it was just a regular release.

True, these could mostly end up in the RSD sale bin months down the road, but they could also get 1000 people into Dylan that really hadn't heard of or paid much attention to him before.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  8. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

US/UK trade?

I'm looking for these titles from the UK:

Goat - Double Date 10”
    Grandaddy - Practice ‘97
    White Hills / Gnod - aquarian downer

If anyone from the UK wants to help me out, I can try for any US titles that aren't on my wantlist:

Allman Brothers - Live at the Atlanta Pop Festival
    Beau Brummels - Bradey's Barn
    Black Moth Super Rainbow - Backwash 7”
    Bowie - Welcome to the Blackout
    Jeff Buckley - Live at Sin-e
    Dumptruck - Wrecked
    Grateful Dead - Fillmore West
    Latin Playboys s/t
    Linda Perhacs - I’m A Harmony
    Phish - Billy Breathes
    Pink Floyd - Piper (mono)
    Spacemen 3 - Taking drugs to make music to take drugs to
    Spectrum - Highs Lows and Heavenly Blows
    Sufjan Stevens - Mystery of Love
    Neil Young - Tonight’s The Night live at the Roxy

9. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

I've not heard this Lou Reed recording (Animal Serenade) - is it good? Something that one would play more than once?

10. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

their RSD edition of from genesis to revelation was awful it put a track that was supposed to be on side 1 on side 2 or something like that. sold that one off immediately.

11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It's interesting if you're a hardcore fan, but even as a hardcore fan, I haven't found it worthy of many listens. There's no drummer. I think Fernado plays electric drums on some tracks. Also, the album leaves off "The Last Shot", "Perfect Day" and "Sweet Jane". "Sweet Jane" is available as a digital download. I tracked down a place selling a lossless version and edited it into the album.

12. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Excellent album.

13. cwd

did you listen to it?

14. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

yes can't recall any particular feeling of greatness or badness in terms of the sound quality but when something is screwed up in a bigger way I tend to focus on that first.

15. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

I saw some press materials for Varese Sarabande's most recent Black Friday releases (Tangerine Dream, Electronic Meditation; Forbidden Zone soundtrack; Leonard Nimoy, Mr. Spock's Music from Outer Space), which, perhaps unintentionally, included what looked like mastering cue sheets. I'm not all that familiar with those types of documents but they gave me the impression the reissues had been mastered from CD. This is total speculation, please take with grains of salt, unverified hearsay, etc etc etc.

I still bought the Tangerine Dream one. It sounds ok, I guess. I'll probably buy this one too.

16. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

Any Hooverphonic from Music on Vinyl this year? They’d been putting out a new one every RSD. But I can’t find anything so far...

Jimijam likes this.
  17. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Nope not this year..

Music On Vinyl

Look for the RSD 2018 tab.

18. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

That’s bloody sacrilege

19. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

It's not good, that much is a sure, but the guy is ever bit as free to work on the song as Dylan was to borrow from his forefathers (as he pointed it out himself in his Nobel acceptance speech). Like it or not, that's how art works.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    uzn007 and Tom Campbell like this.
  20. cwd

Wasn't being critical & respect your decision-just trying to gauge how hard I want to go for their Tangerine Dream RSD release. Thanks.cwd

gojikranz likes this.
  21. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

22. crazybeats

crazybeats Forum Resident

I could care less what you think. You're a name on a screen.

23. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

And you seem to think that indie record stores only sell Zep and Queen records, so you're a name on a screen that is making absolutely zero sense.

I mean, have you literally ever been in an indie record store? Because it sounds like you haven't, because you don't know what they sell.

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  24. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

I can hear the gorts making their way over now...

Erik B. and tinnox like this.
  25. Boognish

Boognish On a never-ending quest for vinyl...

My local store that's doing RSD said that this year, they released the list before they started receiving preorders from the stores themselves. Any reason that they'ed change it up, as they haven't done that before?

Crimson Witch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.