Artists You're "Supposed To Be Into" But Just Don't Care About That Much

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Waves Crashing, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Huh? Where is the Boomtown Rats cred police? I thought it had been generally accepted that if it were not for Live Aid, Geldof's career would have dried up 30 years ago. Same with Midge Ure.

2. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett Forum Resident

Kanye West
    Arcade Fire
    Foo Fighters
    Leonard Cohen

I don’t feel like explainng why.

3. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Kinks
    Big Star
    Cheap Trick

4. XTC
    Television
    Van Morrison
    Talking Heads

Earscape and DPK like this.
  5. Tony F.

Tony F. Forum Resident

Bob Marley - I've tried multiple times. I can't seem to get into Reggae in general. But even people who aren't into it seem to be able to 'appreciate' Bob Marley. Not me!

Nirvana - Don't get me wrong... I LIKE Nirvana. I was a teenager when Grunge first hit. And yeah, Nirvana was good. I just didn't think they were any better than anyone else. I don't get the LEGENDARY status.

Queen - I've always been hugely into classic rock. Could never stand Queen. I don't know if it's Freddy Mercury's voice or what. They get turned off immediately when they come on the radio.

Billy Joel - another artist I don't mind. I just don't get the legendary status. He seems okay or even good at everything but just doesn't stand out for me in any way.

The Kinks - another MUST HEAR band from the 60s. Sure, they have a few good songs. I always liked Destroyer. But all in all they don't wow me. Maybe you had to be there (and I wasn't).

The Clash - why does everyone and their mother cite "London Calling" as one of the best albums ever? I own it. I listen to it. But I don't seem to hear the BRILLIANCE that everyone else does.

Foo Fighters - I've liked a number of their songs but have never owned an album. Dave Grohl seems cool. I want to really like this band but they strike me as simply ordinary. Arena rock. It's fine for what it is. I just don't get the draw.

Iron Maiden - Another band that I wanted to like but just couldn't get into.

Green Day - just never liked them. BJ Armstrong just sounds like a kid singing with a bad cold.

John Mayer - another one I really tried with. Doesn't impress me and seems like a douche.

Oasis - another band that never could quite float my boat.

I could go on and on, probably. And I get it - some music just doesn't appeal to a person. The only ones I 'care' about are the ones that everyone else seems to go ga-ga over and I just seem to shrug at.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Earscape likes this.
  6. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Those are just the folks who have graduated to preferrring Sandinista yet. :p

PDK, Tristero, TheLastVoice and 3 others like this.
  7. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Thought of a good one: Snarky Puppy. Hugely popular within a certain demographic, and folks I know in that demo are positively shocked that I'm unmoved by their work (I find it utterly tame).

Earscape likes this.
  8. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

You're right. Total prejudice on my part. I am this way with music. Strong reactions and quick judgements.
    It's the same with a book. If it doesn't grab me in the first 50 pages or so, I'm gone.
    A bit juvenile I suppose.
    My hubby always listens to an album start to finish.
    Not me. Wow, I never realized this, really before.
    :oops:

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

No worries. Everyone has their own way of assessing things - books, music, etc. :thumbsup:

Paulette likes this.
  10. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

George Harrison

Lightworker and Derek Slazenger like this.
  11. No, middle age school.

Jarleboy, skisdlimit, HfxBob and 2 others like this.
  12. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Hang on, aren't these the artists we're NOT supposed to be into? ;) :righton:

Grunge Master and Andrew J like this.
  13. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

The Rolling Stones. “Hot Rocks” is the only Stones CD in my collection and it pretty much has everything that I want to hear by them. I like the The Stones, particularly their 60s singles, but don’t love them.

The Doors
    Crosby, Stills, & Nash

I strongly detest The Doors (with the exception of “Roadhouse Blues) and CSN (which is nails on a chalkboard as far as I’m concerned)

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I sometimes have visceral reactions to music too, but I usually go back and give it a chance. Sometimes, your frame of mind plays a role. At first listen, I may be less than thrilled at something. But, if I listen again sometime down the line, I may be in just the right frame of mind to understand what i'm hearing. But, if I still don't like something, at least I tried.

Paulette likes this.
  15. Hoover Factory

I used to be a big Springsteen fan in the 70s and early 80s. Loved “Born to Run” and “The River.” Saw him twice live. Then came “Nebraska” which told me that absent his band and production, he was mediocre singer and songwriter, despite his passion and earnestness. The final straw was “Born in the USA” album, which I thought was awful and most of the world loved. Haven’t really followed him since.

rod and luckybaer like this.
  16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

it makes sense you wouldn't like Sabbath. one is rock and roll personified...the other is the beatles.

17. Grant

Also, what is the point of just listings artists with no context whatsoever. One guy said he didn't feel like explaining. How intellectually lazy can one get? What's the point in even posting if you aren't going to contribute to a discussion? Just listing artists doesn't help anyone understand why one doesn't care about them. I would hope that if someone doesn't like an artist, they have used some brain power to figure out why.

There are a lot of "meat and potatoes" classic rock fans here. At least if they say that much, it would go a long way for explaining to fellow forum members why they may not care about an artist. It's not much, but it's much better than just listing an artist.

ianuaditis, Frank and O Don Piano like this.
  18. Hoover Factory

Agree - with R.E.M., their best stuff was when they were on the I.R.S. label.

Waves Crashing likes this.
  19. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Not really. I haven't listed the hundreds of artists I hate, just the handful of big names we're all supposed to dig who I don't 'get'.
    I disagree. That was all college rock nonsense. :winkgrin:

Hoover Factory and Grant like this.
  20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Raises hand meekly...

21. Grant

I doubt it. But, a lot of people seem to think it's normal to not like things. That mindset is certainly more celebrated than confessing to liking something. It seems that people who genuinely like a lot of types of music are the ones who get criticized for having an open mind.

22. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

That's just silly.

23. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Prince
    Neil Young

24. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

I actually like looking at the lists and trying to find the commonality. Sometimes it's there and sometimes it isn't. And then there are those people who are never going to like anything that is popular.

25. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Yes is another band I just don’t get.

And somehow I have records by all three.