Yes: All things about their 50th Anniversary Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ian christopher, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit) Thread Starter

as spoken about on YesFans forum and ProgressiveEars.

Yes is gearing up for a 50th Anniversary tour.

Which band members will be present? Who will be sidelined? Will at least ONE song from each album be featured in the concert setlists?

Will the two camps reconcile and give thanks for 50 year of support with grace and goodwill?

2. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

will it be a Hell Froze Over tour with Howe and Anderson?

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

We already know the answers-- The official tour will include the current lineup with Kaye and possibly Moraz. Material will probably cut off chronlogically with Drama, perhaps with one or two surprises (maybe something from FFH to promote the new version). The two camps will not reconcile.

4. ian christopher

Timothy B. Schmit could be invited, showing off the chops that he always had but kept subdued in The Eagles!!

5. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

I think ARW has already announced that they’re just going to keep touring as they are with two celebration shows in England. Hopefully, they’ll change up the regular tour setlist at least, because imo (this is not to start another ARW vs. Howe-Yes war btw, just stating an opinion) ARW does sound better than Howe-Yes, but their setlists leave a lot to be desired.

6. ian christopher

If they were to reconcile, I could see Anderson and Howe throwing wry smiles towards one another just before breaking out "Long Distance Runaround"

"did we really count to one hundred?"

I mean, the song is about coming out of an argument with a positive learning experience after all!

7. ian christopher

That would be heartbreaking (celebration shows solely in the U.K.) -- the U.S. was critical to their success in the 70's - perhaps even moreso than the U.K.

DiabloG and AidanB like this.
  8. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Indeed, but I believe that’s what their official website said last time I checked. Whatever, the case, I’m still going to try and see them in Akron later in the year.

ian christopher likes this.
  9. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

10. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

There appears to be confusion on whether or not Tony Kaye will play on the UK leg? This is in despite of Geoff Downes previously saying he would be. Also find it odd that Tony's name hasn't appeared on any advertising for the tour. Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated!
    Just been announced Trevor Horn will play at three shows incl. the two at London Palladium!

11. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

:biglaugh: :unhunh:

12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

They should reunite and bring back Bill Bruford too

13. ian christopher

who will replace Chris Squire, even for just the London dates?

14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Billy Sherwood is the de facto replacement for Squire.

15. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Bill is retired. I'd love to see a tour with appearances by Moraz and Trevor Horn.

footlooseman and ian christopher like this.
  16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'll only go if they have Jon Anderson on vocals and Bev Bevan on drums.

17. downer

downer Senior Member

They could form a Yes tribute and call it ‘Your Move’....

18. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Well at the moment the two camps don't see the others as All Good People!!!

19. ian christopher

we're recruiting "all good people" to fill in vacant spots in our band!

fishyboots likes this.
  20. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

or invite all the relevant players and call it "the No Disgrace tour"

21. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

would definitely appreciate any news of when USA dates are announced. seen yes and ARW both of their last two tours and yes were the better both times the drama tales show was stupendous, hoping for some exciting changes to the setlist gates with moraz would be top request, though maybe unrealistic given they haven't even confirmed him appearing at this point.

22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I wonder if there just isn't enough time between the members' other activities, or just the simple desire, to rehearse a substantial amount of additional material to shift the setlist.

People forget that the Yes catalog, while both expansive, is kind of small at the same time. When you figure Howe's Yes isn't going to play anything from 1983-1995 (and shouldn't be playing anything from 1969-70), they really are only culling a setlist from 7 different albums.

Meanwhile, ARW has the same problem; the Rabin era is (wonderfully) opened up, but in the same way no one wants to watch Steve Howe attempt "Changes," no one wants to see Trevor Rabin interpret "Going For The One" or "Close To The Edge." (Not comparing, just naming Yes songs that to me are inherently tied to the style of their guitarist at the time) They're obviously not going to do anything from Topographic or Relayer, so you're left with the same 3 classic albums, "Awaken," and Rabin's stuff. I wish they'd go further into Big Generator and Talk, but I don't know how excited promoters would be about that, nor how much of the set Wakeman wants to spend playing songs he didn't record originally.

I guess maybe they figure people are going to see them to hear "Heart Of The Sunrise" and "And You And I" for the millionth time, so why bother rehearsing "Final Eyes" or "Endless Dream" if the audience isn't into hearing it?

DigitalDave74, DiabloG and Rufus rag like this.
  23. fjn04

fjn04 Forum Resident

If Jon Anderson takes the year off, I will be doing the same. I understand Rabin may not be the best
    at playing the early stuff, but ARW puts on one hell of a show. Unfortunately, their website has been quiet.
    If they go out on tour again, I will sure try not to miss them. They killed it in Albany and Toronto last year.
    These guys have IT. Great rhythm section too.

24. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

If ARW goes on tour this year, I'd love to see them perform 90125 in its entirety to celebrate the album's 35th anniversary. That would probably take up a huge chunk of the setlist though.

25. ian christopher

Jon's voice sounded INCREDIBLE on "Roundabout" at the RnRhoF induction.

I would love to see him belt out "Hearts" live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.