The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Listened to 3/19/73 set one today. Some comments: if you want to study Phil's bass playing on "Promised Land" (which turns out to be worthwhile) this is a good place because it is the only instrument in the mix at some points. "He's Gone" is the first version played after Pigpen died, and the last in the first set. It is a good concise version with Donna's gospel vocalizations prompting some cheers. Jerry focuses on his new songs ("Wave That Flag," the fast "They Love Each Other," "Row Jimmy") while Bob is still working over his 1972 repertoire, plus one addition, "Race Is On" (first since 1970). Very good "China/Rider" with the "Feeling Groovy" jam, and a relatively short (15 minute) but strong "Playing" finishes the set.

2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Bob did the race is on the night before with the new riders. I was leaning against the stage and flipped when they did it. I think it was the first time since 1970. I think this has been mentioned before but I recall an empty chair on stage during he's gone this night. I think a few others also remembered that.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Deadbase X (the version I have) didn't list the 3/18/73 New Riders show with Dead members, so it mentioned the 3/19 version as the first since 5/1/70.

wavethatflag, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  4. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Did you listen to the whole 8/4/79 show? I was there and 1) Shakedown did not go over well. "Boo! Disco Dead! Boo!" Seriously. It was 1979 and the disco/anti-disco cold war was still on bigly. 2) I don't recall the show overall to be very good. What did you think? And 3) Tiger's debut. Not that we cared at the time.

105 degrees both days. We thought about trekking down from SF for it but chose not to. Rumor has it that some members of the band were dosed for the first show, including Jerry who was off the H at that point.

5. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

That would make sense as it was the first dead version since then. That riders show is great if you haven't heard it. Worth it just for the mini bluegrass set and Garcia's guesting on a few songs on electric. It's available on the archive.

6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The first time I saw DSO they played 4 August 1979, and I thought Kadlicek did a great job of impersonating Jerry from that era- mumbling through verses or plain forgetting lyrics, head slumped over and half nodding off, etc. It was also the debut of the first Meyer Sound subwoofers, which may have been the most important aspect of this show in the long haul.

7. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I did. And that's why I asked about other '79 shows. 8/4 is OK, but I want better.

wavethatflag, US Blues and warewolf95 like this.
  8. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Oh man. Today sucked.

Big time.

If anyone wants details remind me in a week when im back home lol.

Long story short im craving the Dead and my listening options are limited. Gotta use the phone for gps this run.

Camt wait to play something sometime tbis week lol

:)

9. warewolf95

Oh crap we were all in Brooklyn today. I was too late haha.

wavethatflag and US Blues like this.
  10. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Dude, I was born there.

11. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Bob also played it a couple of times with the New Riders in summer of 70. Maybe later as well, I'm only up to 10-30 -70, and not every tape has the NRPS sets. But it was definitely played on 5-15-70 and also 9-18-70 by Bobby Ace sitting in with the New Riders as part of 'An Evening with the Grateful Dead.'

budwhite, US Blues and warewolf95 like this.
  12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

GPS? Are you taking a ship there?

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Did not attend, but webcasted all three. I know this is probably shocking coming from me...all three shows were SICK. One of the best three show runs they have done, and that is saying something. Some sets had only 5 or 6 songs, leaving tons of room for jams...lots of nooks and crannies :cool:

Six debuts - Dupree’s, Next Time You See Me, Peggy-O, It’s All Over Now, The Last Time, Foolish Heart (last year in an interview Russo said they had just over 100 songs in rotation and they probably wouldn’t add more...glad they’re over that!).

The actual set list notes are Walls of Text, here are some highlights of the highlights:

3/8
    • Alligator > Stephen to open the show (about 40 minutes). Nod to Pigpen on this date.
    • Scarlet > Rider
    • The return of Hell In A Bucket which I feel like they’ve been teasing for about a year now lol.
    • And an over the top encore: Tonight, I’ll Be Staying Here With You > Not Fade Away Jam > Man Smart, Woman Smarter > Not Fade Away > Cult of Personality Jam > Not Fade Away Reprise
    3/9
    • The first hour+ of this show was probably the highlight of the weekend - Eyes Of The World > Dancing In The Street > Music Never Stopped. Lengthy excursions. Yowza.
    • Next Time You See Me and Peggy-O first time played but you wouldn’t know it, nailed both.
    3/10
    • After the first Last Time and a solid Shakedown to kick off the show, a take-no-prisoners Other One appears > other things happen > first set ends with an Other One jam, and I’ll leave it at that. First set 1 hour, 39 minutes :cool:
    • Second set burned, nonstop start to finish.
    • Led Zep cover was instrumental and first time played.
    • The Band cover was a partial version (1st & 2nd verse) and first time played.
    • Foolish Heart a vvvery welcome addition to the party. That song is going places.
    Jam >
    Slipknot! >
    Foolish Heart >
    Help On The Way >
    Slipknot! >
    I Need A Miracle >
    Franklin’s Tower >
    Throwing Stones >
    Good Times Bad Times >
    Throwing Stones >
    Chest Fever >
    Throwing Stones Reprise​

Syracuse - Albany - Portland shows this week :cool:

Mansley, budwhite, US Blues and 8 others like this.
  14. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Dick's Picks 5, aka 12/26/79. I tend to avoid this since there are so many non-plinky shows out there. But I was feeling charitable toward the keyboard choices and a few songs in, Me & My Uncle and FOTDevil's solos both make clear that Garcia was sounding crisp and ready to roll.

15. warewolf95

Lolol its mainly just so we dont accidentally make a non-correctable turn onto a one way no-truck road (as has happenned before...)
    :p

16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Okay, so it's been several months since I paused my journey through the E72 tour (via the trunk box). I stopped because I didn't want to burn out from first set song overkill and because, well, there's so much else to listen to. Honestly, I didn't mean to pause for that long, but here we go...

What a show to resume with! This is my first time listening to 2011 remix of the Frankfurt (Jahrhundert Halle) show. It's nice to hear the guitarists mixed so prominently (as is usual with this box, you have to strain a bit to hear Keith). It's also nice to hear the "missing" first set songs and stage banter that was excised from 1ooYearHall. There's some nice stuff between Mr. Charlie and He's Gone about the broken drum head and Phil not digging the flashbulbs going off.

I may not stay up late into the night to hear the full gig, but we'll see...

April 26, 1972

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: I love the part right before "Next Time You See Me" where the Americans in the audience (servicemen?) shout out the cities that they're from. Awesome!

Edit #2: Phil is playing some really nice upper register stuff on this China Cat Sunflower. It's a shame that it's so hard to hear Keith though. This is not a top 5 China>Rider from the tour (maybe not top 10 either), but Phil is the champ on this one.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    trd, Mansley, Bossyman and 9 others like this.
  17. notesofachord

One thing that that I really, really love about 1972 is that things like "China>Rider" and "Playing in the Band" are just routine first set features. In later years, these would be (slightly more jammed-out, of course) major second set highlights. But in '72 they were just jammy parts of the "opening" set. Ho-hum indeed!

18. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Revisiting 7/22/84... well hello, Kermit... Terrapin lost its way for a bit there... ah but this Dew just hits the spot. One of those good tapes, though, regardless of its lack of noteworthiness.

trd, Billy_Sunday, adamos and 2 others like this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That would be Healy. 6/16/85's second set is one of my favorites of that year, and a top 10 all-time Scarlet->Fire in my book, although it was also one of the first versions of that combo, if not THE first, that I had on tape (probably before Cornell), so it left a deep imprint.

mgb70, trd, warewolf95 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'll give this specific guy the benefit of the doubt for now, but in general poseurs are everywhere, too.

21. notesofachord

Yep. How many teenagers that wear Ramones t-shirts actually like The Ramones beyond just a few songs?

22. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

10/25/79 Shakedown 11/5/79 Eyes>Estimated>Franklin's, 11/10/79 Terrapin>Playing, 12/28/79

Crispy Rob, rcb30, KeninDC and 3 others like this.
  23. notesofachord

Some more updates on the Frankfurt '72 between-song banter:

After "Beat it on Down the Line" a group of fans shouts a request in unison: "TRUCKIN'!!" Phil's response: "Hey, uh, we'll get around to it. And if we don't? So what." :laugh:
    Oh, they got around to it alright. :agree:

Also, after "You Win Again" concludes there's a nice little "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" Love it.

Crispy Rob, adamos, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  24. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

^ I was listening to 4-26-72 the other night and at some point I said to myself, “this truly is one of the better shows they’ve ever played.”

And in truth, it is. The fact that it’s one of the best shows from one of their best tours makes it such.

25. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

One of the best shows of that somewhat lackluster year, IMO

warewolf95 likes this.