What is THE album you're willing to spend a fortune to get sealed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

nothing really. The collectable crap i have bought is now open.

2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Both of those actually were poor sellers, and were even put on sale at certain retailers! If I were you, maybe settle for a great opened copy, as I can be another person to tell you that there are no quality control blunders with that one. :agree:

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Twist Uptown

4. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

Kiss Alive II misprint with no delete cut

I’d PayPal somebody 2k tomorrow if they offered me one.

Would not have any desire to play it, so wouldn’t worry about the temptation. My Japanese White Label promos are my copies to play...everything else is for collecting.

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Sealed lps are lots of fun, but too much of a crap shoot to spend much money on. On the whole I've had more success than failure with sealed records, but most have been purchased for $3-5, so that's a risk I'll take. The most I've paid was $15 for a sealed Peter Tosh record, and fortunately that one was a winner.

6. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

What he said..

7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Maybe an UK mono pressing of Pink Floyd's A Saucerful Of Secrets. But hey, I need the money for something else.^^

8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

None

Sealed records are for sissies.

9. Nathan L Vogel

Nathan L Vogel Well-Known Member

I'd prefer to own a preowned or loved good condition record instead of a vintage sealed.

10. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

None.
    But only because I don't have a fortune.
    I'll find out what my limits are when I start shopping for Sinatra LP's at Capitol, soon.

If I had a fortune, I would buy Bob Dylan's The Bootleg Series Vol. 5: The Rolling Thunder Review limited edition 3LP box-set.
    It's out of print and prices start at $400 with the highest I've seen $800. At the moment I find one offered at $499.

11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

This might be a boring answer but in the last few years I actually got two and both sound superb. One is a childhood favorite, the two disc Diana Ross & Supremes Greatest Hits from 1967. How in the world this guy had one I wouldn't know, but it indeed was sealed and pressed on beautiful quality vinyl. Great sound. I think I paid close to $100 but it sure sounds fantastic. Recently, but before it was reissued, I got the Stevie Wonder two disc Musicquarium hits album, vintage pressing and absolutely flawless, beautiful sound. Was also $50. Sounds like he made his masters available for compiling the album and I must have got a very early pressing. I would hate to hear the recent reissue.

Those are favorites of mine and I was thrilled to find them.

joshm2286 likes this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I've learned the hard way that in general, you're right unfortunately. I've been very lucky on a few ocassions, but generally I will put back a vintage sealed album and get the one I can inspect.

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Under 100.00 is a fortune to some.

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Funny you mentioned Ronstadt. Her stuff shows up sealed all the time at my local store and they are usually horrible, but I just got a NOS sealed copy of Mad Love and it's stunning. Not sure why her stuff is easy to find sealed, but in her case it doesn't matter. I would want to see it first.

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yu
    Yup...not this again! That thread turned into quite a circus, eh?

16. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

I have the RSD edition of U2's "Songs Of Innocence" and kept it sealed until last year as prices rised up very quickly. I thought about selling it maybe as I could have
    bought way more albums than just one from the money but decided to open it, play it and enjoy it as this was actually the purpose I bought it and not because I wanted
    to sell it from the beginning on. And luckily it wasn't warped and now I can enjoy it.

Again: Sealed records are interesting if you get them cheap and never open them. The risk of having a warped record is very high. And from collector's view I'd rather
    have a sealed record that is warped as an unsealed record that is warped. ;)

17. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I thought U.K. Albums from that period didn't come sealed.

18. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Something produced really good - other than that, I just want 1st pressings for archival mostly, and some time on the turntable.

19. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I don't know/didn't know that. Let some record dealer seal it then.

21. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I think I'd rather have a very good quality unsealed record than a sealed one. Just because a record is sealed doesn't mean it's in mint condition or even playable. I saw a video where a guy opened that Hendrix live double LP released in the 1980s, I think it was Live at Winterland, and the inside of the record jackets had adhered to the vinyl LPs. It was pretty much completely destroyed.

22. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

But, isn't the appeal of still sealed , the never played untouched by human hands thing?

23. Young and Restless

Young and Restless Forum Resident

This is awesome, and very zen! What a paradox!
    If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there to hear out, does it make a sound?
    Schrödinger's cat returns!

Does anyone know if that other guy with a sealed LZ 2 (from any earlier thread) ever open that record?

eddiel likes this.
  24. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

No he has not opened it.

eddiel likes this.
  25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I wouldn't mind finding a new just pressed Sinatra Wee Small Hours. They were't sealing records in the traditional sense back then, but maybe they did it the way they did it something back then by sealing the actual lp. I got a few of those types (not Sinatra though). But I would settle for a just delivered never played new copy with no seal. But it would probably be crackly just the same lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.