Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have original U.S. Reprise and U.K. Island copies. No "yeah" on either.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  2. alx7

alx7 Forum Resident

I cranked the "Live In Berne" 5.1 DVD today:D. The drums are just sensational. The whole concert was a like...being there BLAST:pleased:
    I just ordered Songs from the Wood. And will be getting the other SW back log issues I missed and will be getting all the futures to come.
    I have all the records up to Storm Watch. But does it get any better than this:thumbsup:

edenofflowers likes this.
  3. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

The final yeah is on the original UK vinyl, UK + USA & MFSL CD's.

4. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

picked up an import version of drums and wires that has cd and dvd a...no bluray on the cheap amazon

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

As I mentioned, it is not on my U.K. LP (Porky deadwax). At least, I couldn't hear it the last time I listened.

6. tootull

It's certainly not on the US copy or the later UK copy on the blue/white paper label. It's on the first issue UK vinyl pressing.

7. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

My DVD 2 is also marred with 3 or four smudges. I've not played/listened to it yet, but have tried to gently wipe it off with lens-cleaning tissues, but it looks like it's embedded in the plastic (if it matters, I got it on ImportCds and live in Atlanta).

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

No reply as yet. I realize now it's possible my email got filtered out & didn't reach him. I included links in the email to this thread (the page where one of us actually posted a photo of the flaws) as well as superdeluxeedition where people were talking about this. I know some companies will filter out emails with embedded links as a data security risk but I didn't think about that when I sent it.

It's being discussed up at Amazon now too so that might attract attention as well. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I still have had no time to play mine yet anyways.....

9. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

RE: photo of the flaw... I used Photobucket to post a pic before, but that seems to get locked out after a while for free accounts.

I believe Imgur should be better..?
    [​IMG]

shadlet and Plan9 like this.
  10. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

And now we know for certain...full-length "Songs From the Wood" on Berne!! Yes! :nauga: I jumped right to that song first, I had to know.

"Sweet Dream" rocks, and "Quatrain" is definitely a little more raw than Bursting Out. Funny how fast "Skating Away" is played. Glascock sounds great on "Living In the Past." But I've only had time to spot-check the live show. Can't wait to hear it all!

Spun the entire studio disc last night ~ wow. Lots of space and depth in the mix, this album finally sounds as rich as Songs From the Wood to my ear. Maybe the vinyl did all along, but something about it never really grabbed me like it did last night. (Never had picked it up on cd ~ this was worth holding out for!) Always loved "No Lullaby" and it's never sounded so strong. Same with "Mouse Police Never Sleeps" ~ picks up right where Songs left off.

SO happy with this package. Looking forward to the considerable quality times with it that lie ahead....

*the only caveat: no reminiscing from Barrie this time, wonder why. Love all the memories from Maddy, though : )

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  11. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Finally got my remix. Love it. Many new and different sounds. Bonus stuff sounds better not in mp3 format for once :D

Mirsset likes this.
  12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

:D

Exactly the same as mine. Obviously there's an errant robot at the factory.

13. I know this will not be a popular post, but I hope Amazon and other retailers do not offer replacement disks for these smudged dvds. My reason is that unlike the TAAB defective disk, this blemish appears to be cosmetic only and does not impact the play of the disk. It also appears that almost all these dvds have the smudges, so the return numbers could potentially be huge. These box sets are not big money makers for the producers in the best of circumstances-a lot goes into the content, often more than box sets costing twice the price. I don’t think it’s a stretch to believe that pressing and mailing replacement dvds will remove a huge chunk of their profit for this release. This series of releases is my absolute favorite and I want those responsible to get the compensation they deserve. I do believe it’s worth notifying Amazon and other retailers of the issue so that hopefully future sets won’t have the same cosmetic issue. Just my opinion on the matter and my pledge not to get a replacement dvd should they be offered.

porieux, granata, JimW and 9 others like this.
  14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I am not sure if that's how it works. I think the pressing plant that manufactured the discs would have to bear the grunt of replacement. I have no idea but it would make sense.

slipkid and ParloFax like this.
  15. If that’s the case then I reserve the right to change my mind.:D

16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Be that as it may, people are so hyped up on absolutely pristine discs for no good reason. As has been said, this doesn't affect playback, so by definition the disc is for-for-purpose. What would be the purpose of a replacement? So I can look at it under a light and be thrown into rapture that the surface is prettier? Really, this is what I call a "first world problem".

porieux, Plan9 and Pete Puma like this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Do you know for sure that the issue with the DVDs will not effect playback in the future? If playback issues in the future could be an issue then there certainly is reason for concern. As I posted earlier in the thread that issues with Blu-rays from certain DSOTM Immersion sets stopped playing after playing fine originally. Best to inform the label of the issue now than waiting an extended amount of time if or when the DVDs have playback issues.

The Berne DVD in the set I bought has the "smudge" issue as well as some scratches. I wonder if the "smudge" issue is caused by the DVD being in the paper sleeve. That's mostly likely the cause of the scratches. Haven't played the Berne DVD yet but as others have posted most likely there won't be any playback issues. I'll follow the thread to see if there is any indication on whether there will be an offer to have the DVDs replaced.

I'm listen to the 5.1 mix in DTS 96/24 and it sounds excellent! This is the first version of Heavy Horses as I never bought it on vinyl or CD.

ti-triodes, slipkid and sound chaser like this.
  18. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

My "first world problem" as you put it so dismissively, is that I expect what I paid for - merchandise with no flaws. If this is a manufacturing defect they need to make replacement discs available. There is no guarantee that these discs won't be further affected by whatever caused the clouding.

19. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I am not sure they "need" to. What happens if they don't? Brick had a legit flaw and it sold out. These reissues are wildly popular and it will not effect sales so I am not sure they "need" to do anything as long as they play fine.

Pete Puma likes this.
  20. tootull

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

As if to make this non-issue even more comical, I stumbled upon something. I was pulling out my other Tull sets, listening to tracks here and there, when I noticed this... I encourage those who have the other Tull booksets containing a disc into a cardboard pocket -namely Stand Up (2016) and SFTW (2017)- to examine the DVDs... Yep, they also have slightly cloudy little blotches on the surface. At least mine have. They play and rip fine.
    And as I already wrote, I have several other unrelated DVDs that have the same appearance. They play fine after 10+ years. This is pretty common and I'm surprised people never noticed this before on their other DVDs.
    In my experience, when discs stop working because they oxidise, there is no visible warning.

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

With the TAAB set the defective DVDs were corrected. If I recall the DVDs were replaced by those that requested them.

shadlet, John Buchanan and slipkid like this.
  23. Yes and yes.

shadlet, John Buchanan and slipkid like this.
  24. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Same problem with mine

25. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

The purpose/function of a DVD is to play the content imbedded in it. If your DVD plays, it fulfills its function; there is no defect. Your aesthetic judgment about what the 'playing side' should look like, a side which unlike even vinyl will spend its life hidden from view in the case, or in your machine, is entirely baseless.

If/when this affects the ability to play the DVD -- you've got a complaint. Until then, you've barely even got something that qualifies as a 'first world problem'... there is no problem.

porieux, yesstiles, Quincy and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.