Record Store Day "RSD" April 2018 Releases*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwd, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

They've been around for decades, primarily as a movie soundtrack label.

In recent years they've had the Zombies catalogue and have put out some very good sounding Zombies reissues for RSD. However, something very odd about their Zombies releases is that you can literally hear a digital glitch, like a very, very brief whine, between every single song. Probably not noticeable when listening in the living room, but I needle-drop everything I buy and it sticks out to my ears like a sore thumb. Whatever this is, it's clearly audible on headphones and clearly visible in waveforms.

uzn007 likes this.
  2. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

It could possibly help. It at least allows time for the store owners to ask customers (either in person, facebook, etc.) what they are after. They can at least gauge what they order based on what their customers seem to be interested in.

Boognish likes this.
  3. cwd

cwd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks...thinking I may pass on this one...

4. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

- Disappointing. But I thought they might end Hooverphonic releases after the “classic four”. I’m happy we at least got those! Man, their lineup this year looks poor...

pghmusiclover likes this.
  5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Actually, yes. It's been a staple and a go-to on my Tidal phone installation for months. I've returned to it more times than "Live in Italy" (no knock on that album. I also think it's very good).

Real nice cross-section of stuff, and a brief tutorial on how "Sweet Jane" is four chords, not three. As poster above has already responded, the full "Sweet Jane" was available as a download for sale, separately and the only part left of it on the "album" is the brief musical lesson. I don't know what the plans are for the vinyl issue and that song.

6. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

Couldn't

7. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Yes that’s a disappointing batch of releases...

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  8. dachada

dachada Senior Member

panasoffkee, Toddarino and cwd like this.
  9. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The “mystery” of the chord progression of Sweet Jane has always amused me. I could hear it clear as day when I was just learning to play in high school...

11. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Here's "Venus In Furs" from the drummerless album. Jane Scarpantoni's cello on this is worth the price of admission. Fantastic album.

TeddyB and cement_head like this.
  12. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I’ll have to keep that page bookmarked for the day after. Really want those Eddie and the Hotrods albums.
    Thanks

13. Have any of you folks bought prior RSD items from England or Ireland? I'd love to get the Rory Gallagher & Undertones releases.

Thanks.

14. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I know right?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  15. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Dachada, is that the UK list? If so, I see some Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, and Jeff Beck are on there. I did check RSD 2018 UK list and they don't list them. You know anything about that? I would to have those. That UK list doesn't have the LP pictures up like they did last year, just the pdf file.

16. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

Guessing it's because the Cowboy Junkies changed it to three chords, and that's the version some people heard first.

17. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Several collectible 60's singles are being reissued on RSD. Two early MC5 singles and one by Beaver And The Trappers. They're being issued on Sundazed's Modern Harmonic label. I wonder why they're not coming out on Sundazed's main label. I'm thinking it's because all of these will be needledrops and not master tapes hence the subsidiary label. Anyone know the details on these?

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That Bm chord was sooo ingenious....

19. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Maybe you two can put each other on "ignore" and spare the rest of us from your bickering.... just a thought.

PooreBoy, Wes_in_va and Ben Adams like this.
  20. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I'm getting that noise on my copy of "The Zombies Greatest Hits". What's worse is that they used the wrong version of "Leave Me Be". It's clearly a different vocal take from the original 45. I think it might be the stereo take folded down rather than the correct mono single. I was not happy about that but at least they used the correct (breath) version of "She's Not There".

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’ve got 15 items on my list. Definitely have to cut this list down!

Grow Fins, chacha and LeeGriffin like this.
  22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yeah it’s gonna be hard not to get carried away.
    Funny though, I find I don’t play my past RSD records that often for some reason.

23. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I found that decision so bizarre. To include the "Sweet Jane" intro but not the song. There was even a video for "Sweet Jane". It was available (very briefly) on On-Demand (or something like that) with my cable package. I captured it straight to digital video. And then my hard drive crashed before I made a backup. I've never seen it again.

cement_head and TeddyB like this.
  24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Neither do I. I’ve sold off a bunch of them. This year may be different.

chacha likes this.
  25. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Another anticipated upcoming CD release from ACE label (UK), this one just ahead of RSD 2018 : scheduled for 30 March, pre-orders now being taken.
    [​IMG]

A bit more 'rock' and less 'country' than his earlier releases. Good to see his material getting reissued on CD now, as a lot has been out of print for some time.

I noticed several of the local independent record stores in my area are already gearing up with lots of new stuff, maxing out their stock levels, I recently picked up
    Steve's other recent ACE CD compilation from 2017:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.