Leon Bridges announces new album "Good Thing" (May 4, 2018), shares 2 new songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

2. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Fantastic news! Thanks!

Looking forward to listening to the 2 new songs later tonight on Spotify.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  3. pghmusiclover

They are on Youtube now (see first post for one of them).

rob68 likes this.
  4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I’ll keep an eye out for this. The title might be a little unfortunate given the Aloe Blacc album Good Things

5. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Loving both of the songs. :righton:

Very much looking forward to this album.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  6. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

He sounds much more seasoned, relaxed and confident. His vocals and the instruments are now meshing. I was a fan of his voice before but not the music. It seemed that they didn't understand the genre and were just playing notes. These two tracks are music, very good music. If the remainder of the album is as good, I am buying.

7. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I'm not sure about these two tracks, they sound too modern R&B for what I enjoyed about his previous work. I loved his debut album, but these sound more Usher than Sam Cooke.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Vinyl_Blues and scotti like this.
  8. pghmusiclover

I don't hear that modern sound, but I agree there's less of the retro Sam Cooke vibe from the first album. The second track reminded me of something by Paul Simon actually.

9. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I liked The River, which was in the Big Little Lies TV series (along with some great stuff by the likes of Charles Bradley and Michael Kiwanuka). Hope he is still retro.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  10. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I really liked his first album. And I dig these two tracks.

11. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Here's hoping for his first number one album.

12. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

The sound has nudged further away from the Sam Cooke's R&B. While Mr. Bridges may a be great fan of Mr. Cooke and the music of that time 1) He has been immersed in the music of this time and 2) I really think that he needed to hone his craft more. I like the two tracks that have been released and will probably buy the album when it is released.

13. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Nice. I was not sure how his second album would turn out but it sounds great so far

14. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

rob68 likes this.
  15. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

I dig Bad Bad News, Bet Ain't Worth the Hand sounds quite a bit different, more modern. Either way I dig his throwback style tunes.

16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I wanted to hold off listening to this before it comes out but I sampled and I agree this is not what I was hoping for. This is way to smooth with the rawness missing that made him sound cool in the first place. I got the vinyl on order for $14 when it was first posted, but this new sound worries me...still keeping it on order and will give it a chance, but not that excited now...

WarEagleRK likes this.
  17. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

3rd song released.

HeavensAbove and ermylaw like this.
  18. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

That song is amazing, in my opinion.

19. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Wow. This is shaping up to be a pretty great album! Wasn't too impressed with the first one, but this is right up my alley.

20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

My copy of the vinyl arrives tomorrow. Early reviews are decent, with some being good and others being average. I'm not counting on anything near as cool as his first album and no way am I buying in to some of the more smoother sounds on the new one. Sorry, I'm old school, but will keep an open mind and hope for the best. I despise modern day radio music and hope this is not the direction he took here, but it sure sounds like it.

With that said, keeping my fingers crossed that there are some good songs on this one!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  21. pghmusiclover

22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Trust me, I am going in to this with lower expectations in the hope that I will buy in to his new direction. I really want to like it and just hope it's not to formulated...look what happened to Gary Clark Jr. when he stepped away from the blues...pure nonsense.

Promise to keep an open ear here..."pghmusiclover" looking forward to your thoughts after you listen.

23. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

ermylaw and scotti like this.
  24. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

After three listens via Spotify, I think this is a really good album. Trying not to compare to the first album.

Definitely modern. Prepare for disco and even shades of trip-hop. His great voice elevates everything. Besides the pre-release songs, I'm also loving the trippy Lions and the last track. Shy gets better with more listens, as does You Don't Know.

scotti likes this.
  25. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

I don't know I'm 1/2 into listening to this record... Just feels flat... Nowhere near as good as the first record that's for sure...

Vinyl_Blues, mtvgeneration and scotti like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.