Last of Us 2

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GregM, Sep 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregM

GregM The expanding man Thread Starter

I don't often like video games, and it's even rarer to enjoy them as much as some of my favorite movies, but The Last of Us may have achieved that for me. At first I didn't enjoy it. The graphics and gameplay weren't as good as other games, but I stuck with it and got past that. Then playing it became more of a curiosity about where the story was headed. For those who don't know, it's a post-apocalyptic America where a pathogen that attacks the brain turns infected people into zombie killers.

The main character Joel early on loses his daughter not to infection but to the military which is ordered to quarantine certain areas and protect them against people trying to sneak in. There is a group fighting the military and then other groups and individuals you encounter along the way. One of which puts Joel in charge of a juvenile girl. All of this made LoU a lot more interesting than a typical zombie game. But it wasn't until the end that I realized the brilliance of the story. Now LoU2 has been announced.

I can't really discuss this without giving away the ending of LoU and making predictions based on that. But the co-writer of Westworld is now working on LoU2, along with Neil Druckmann, who was responsible for LoU and a few of my other favorite games. I'm also happy that Gustavo Santaolalla will be back for the music--you can hear his score come up at the end of the trailer. I was first intro'ed to his music in Babel, which is a great film.

2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Last of Us was amazing - what a game/experience. How can a video game be sad and touching? Looking forward to the sequel.

GregM likes this.
  3. GregM

It was just haunting when Joel lied to Ellie at the end. You could see her skepticism and she asked him to swear. He did, and her intuition still identified it as a lie. You've gotta assume she will figure out it was a lie in the LoU2 story.

rebellovw likes this.
  4. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Not many comments for such a fantastic game. There are characters that come off nice but end up monsters and you don't see it coming. Amazing game.

5. GregM

Not many comments at all. Maybe this game has gone unnoticed by those here. Certainly the case for me until I got the PS4.

6. GregM

7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I dunno, I felt like the overall praise for The Last of Us was in regards to gamings low standards for story writing in general.
    If it were a movie I might just regard it as slightly above average. It is a breath of freash air in case we compare with gaming in general though, I agree with that.

Probably not a genius move to post this in a love letter thread to The Last of Us ;^)

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I can't get past the controls as I'm so used to playing FPS with a mouse and keyboard. I therefore end looking at the ground or sky. It's next to impossible for me to get used to those controls. Borrowed it from a friend but didn't play it for very long. It's well done in every way imaginable.

Anyway, RPGs have had terrific writing and character development for decades which is why series like Dragon Quest/Warrior and Final Fantasy have had such a following for so long.

What made the game was the soundtrack from Gustavo Santaolalla which gave the game an interesting vibe. Hopefully, they retain his services again.

Lastly, I'm not surprised at the lack of participation in this thread as most of the members seem to be older and typically won't pay videogames much attention.

Leonthepro likes this.
  9. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I may have to splurge on a PS4 Pro as I'm missing out on some exclusive PS4-only titles... I really enjoyed The Last of Us and hoping the sequel really raises the ante.

Leonthepro likes this.
  10. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

My 22 year old daughter loves the game. You are on a site that people still think Paul McCartney is good so it's not surprising video games have such little traction.

Leonthepro likes this.
  11. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I sold my ps4 but need to get a Pro asap. The Shadow of the colossus remake is a must play for me since its one of my favorite games. I also need to finish up other games I never completed, even though I dont play much at all these days.

12. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Last of Us is on my long list. Somewhere after Witcher III, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Wolfenstein II, Shadow of the Colossus and whenever I wrap up Assassin's Creed: Origins.

13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's all about the demographic. This wouldn't be a website to post suggestions on about skateboards, for instance.

And that's perfectly OK.

Ethan B likes this.
  14. My understanding is that he will indeed be returning to compose the sequel's music...

Strat-Mangler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.