He or She never fulfilled their potential in your eyes..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frimleygreener, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

George Michael

Such a great singer, and enough great songs for some wonderful compilations. But no album I would call a masterpiece...

Sordel likes this.
  2. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

Ryan Adams for me too , I don't know all of his albums but most of them , and I have made a great 2 cdR compilation , but there isn't one single album which is great all the way through , never a bad song but lots of mediocre ones .Whereas a lot of artists these days release a new album every 3 , 4 or 5 years he does the opposite , total lack of quality control in my opinion.

moodyxadi and Malinky like this.
  3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Donnie Iris. I mean "Ah, Leah" was a great FM radio track in high school. He follows up with the silly "Love is Like a Rock." He could have been so much more. Maybe get a song in a movie or a TV commercial, but noooooo.

Tommy Jay and dougb222 like this.
  4. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

:agree:
    George Michael was a phenomenally talented vocalist and songwriter who seemed positioned for greatness following the demise of Wham!, but despite some relatively solid solo LPs (the first three come to mind) and singles over the years, simply took too long between releases IMHO to become a truly major player like, say Elton John. I would've loved to see him step into Freddie Mercury's shoes following that tribute concert as the new front man for Queen (no disrespect to either Paul Rodgers or Adam Lambert), but that sadly never happened, nor did a general critical reappraisal quite materialize during his lifetime, which I think a decent latter day comeback album could arguably have achieved. It's too late now....

5. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Alex Chilton
    He should have had a huge solo career. I think he put everything into Big Star, and when the band wasn't commercially successful, it just completely knocked the wind out of his sails.

Lonecat, Nielsoe, vanhooserd and 4 others like this.
  6. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Mark Bacino - fantastic pop-oriented songwriter, has a very natural knack for hooks, lots of subtle sophistication . . . unfortunately has remained relatively unknown and has only managed to produce a few albums in the span of about 30 years:

BluesOvertookMe and kouzie like this.
  7. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

So basically no artist in the entire world has or ever will fulfill their potential?

8. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I don't know, I just know that I'm disappointed that this thread title had nothing to do with Zooey Deschanel! :love:

[​IMG]

9. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I have got two of his albums , great songwriter and I think I once exchanged a couple of emails with him too , I think one of those many talented guys who prefer to remain low-key and see music as a hobby rather than a career

Terrapin Station and kouzie like this.
  10. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

Lauryn Hill

Izzy Stradlin

Omar Rodriguez Lopez

Fullbug likes this.
  11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

tori amos, kind of flaked out after first two albums

12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I think it would have been like Natalie Merchant, only on a smaller scale. One big album and then a retreat to the level of fame she'd had with her prior band.

13. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

John Lennon. At the point in his life where he had finally reached peace with himself and was starting to rekindle his broken relationships, it was stolen from him. If he had lived, who knows what masterful compositions could have been written.

14. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is" Thread Starter

I think there is a big difference between "falling short" and "not pushing boundaries". My thread was an observation on the latter premise.

15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I think it was more burn out and other factors than the eagles, the drop after But Seriously...was pretty drastic

Say It Right likes this.
  16. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Mr. Somewhere

Lee Mavers (The La's).

Echo, Dudley Morris, BigDanT and 3 others like this.
  17. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

18. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

My guess is Jeff probably convinced himself he could be a sort of rock jazz fusion star and thereby avoid whatever hassles he had before with the more standard group set up. Not sure in other words whether it was vocalists per se that troubled him or the dynamics of dealing with a group - am I the leader? Is someone else?

I respect his guitar playing immensely, and would not dispute that he continued to develop his guitar style after he went solo. It mostly left me meh, however. Imo the high point of his career was the two JBG albums with Stewart. That was very early in his career, and he should have done so much more.

YardByrd likes this.
  19. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I will check her solo album out, thanks for linking me to the thread.. I have 3 or 4 CJ albums; great band. Margo is a tremendous talent.

20. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The (New Orleans) Radiators

21. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

He is spoofing on the thread because, ultimately, they will all be mentioned.

22. Curwin

Curwin Well-Known Member

Blind Melon...Soup is such an underrated album. Would've been interesting to see how the band evolved

Zoot Marimba, JAG and No Bull like this.
  23. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Prince...after he left Warners. He had the talent, the means and the star quality but alas never made another stellar album after that. Lots of good material no doubt but too much filler on many on many of his post-Warners albums (especially Emancipation).

peachyg72, tommy-thewho and somnar like this.
  24. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

You, my friend, are an over-achiever... ;)

john lennonist and Zoot Marimba like this.
  25. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

funky little band... I need to pull this out and listen to it... It has been a long time.

bobbycat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.