Best Song on Jimi Hendrix’s Are You Experienced Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manic Depression here. It and Spanish Castle Magic are probably my two favorite "hard-hitting" Hendrix tunes.

But close to 90% of the tunes on this album are real winners, in one way or another.

SG47 likes this.
  2. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Brilliant collection (UK+US) from start to finish,
    but : Fire.

Crimson Witch and davers like this.
  3. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Same here.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Me too as it's the first song on the album "Kisss the Sky" The first Hendrix I ever heard.

Crimson Witch and Holy Diver like this.
  5. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I was in with an early vote for "Love Or Confusion", thought I might be the only one, glad to see it got some more votes. Always been a favourite "deep cut", and I loved hearing the alternate version from West Coast Seattle boy, also released as a single (that I wish I could find).

But there's not much I don't love here, the only song I don't care that much for is "Hey Joe" (and I agree all those singles don't belong in the poll). A bit surprised by the lack of votes for "Fire", and on the other hand also for the amount of votes for the title track. And poor old "51st Anniversary" and "Remember", can't someone give them a vote...?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I live Love or Confusion. Remember is probably my least favorite on the list.

7. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It's not at the top of my list either, but it's still a good song (as they all are), so I wish it would just get a vote, I feel a bit sorry for the poor thing... :cry:

And "Can You See Me" too, it rocks, only one vote! :shake: ;)

8. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I'm agreeing with Jeff Beck on this one: Stone Free.

9. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I can't choose. This should've been a Weakest Link.

SG47 and Crimson Witch like this.
  10. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Best song? "May This Be Love." Best record, "Are You Experienced?" Poor songs? Not on the original US edition I grew up with.

Crimson Witch and Olompali like this.
  11. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Tough choice for me. I like so many songs. All of them really. But the wind cried...Mary. So Mary gets my vote. Even if the traffic lights, turn blue tomorrow.

12. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Title track but many good options, this could change daily

13. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

'Haze'. Being a single, however, and classic rock staple, it's been overexposed compared to the rest of AYE, save for 'Foxey'.

14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Purple Haze is the most popular for a reason. Best song here.

The poll asks for best, not favourite, of course.

15. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I tried hard, but I can't choose.

I like every song for different reasons. I love the recent track listing of the US version that makes a complete psychedelic trip.

The tracks that were on the UK version that seem tacked on at the end actually make sense to me. "Stone Free" seems to start off a nice six song rhythm and blues encore that ends with the heavy blues Red House. AYE is a true album for me personally.

16. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Third Stone, but God, You can’t go wrong with any of these.
    Speaking of Third Stone

17. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Probably Are You Experienced. The fact that he was able to develop such a cool and accessible song through all the chaos in sound and production is brilliance!

18. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

And I screwed up my vote. Can my vote be changed from Mary to Joe?

19. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

All 10/10 from me, so :shrug:

20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

That track listing isn't just US + UK, by the way, it's the North American CD track listing with single B-side bonus tracks, too.

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Love the whole album. Guess 'The Wind Cries Mary' is the obvious one here but I voted 'Red House'. This track is hot, too!

22. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I used to think that The Essential Jimi Hendrix (Vol. 1) had a bit quirky song selections when it started with "Are You Experienced?" and "Third Stone from the Sun", but it seems the compilers were right on the money with those (or maybe the people voting grew up with that compilation).

Crimson Witch and DTK like this.
  23. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

That whole album knocked me right up side the head when it came out. It changed how I heard music.

I was just playing some Hendrix tunes a while before I came across this thread and was musing about how ingrained Jimi's music has been in my life since Experienced (and later, Axis) came out. 51 years those songs have been permanently etched on my brain. Are you experienced? Well I am. Oh yeah!

I went with "Manic Depression" mainly because I had to vote for one if I was to vote at all. Tough choice. Could have easily went with 3rd Stone, Purple Haze, Wind Cries Mary, maybe even the oft less regarded May This Be Love.

I didn't include Red House in my list because I got the American version of AYE when it came out (sans Red House) and listened to it a thousand times before picking up the Smash Hits LP with Red House on it.

24. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

you jinxed them both :unhunh:
    I picked the wind cries mary but could've easily picked a few others. amazing debut

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Nie choice! Are you familiar with the version on West Coast Seattle Boy? That beeeeeauuutiful guitar solo is clearer in the mix.

DTK and Crimson Witch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.