What Artists/Albums Do You Love But Are Embarrassed Of?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StevenC, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

The older I get, the more irrelevant this becomes. Just enjoy stuff.

2. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

None, but am occasionally made to feel like I should be ashamed of liking Yes, Genesis, Tull etc...like somehow I’m ‘wrong’.

3. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Not once did you have those little doubts, wow.

4. There's nothing I'm really embarrassed about but there's music I didn't play at work or when driving through a rough neighborhood.

5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Well, there was a time when I felt I had to like Black Sabbath because my friends did.
    And I really felt at times, as a teen, that my wardrobe didn't measure up.
    So there is that.:)

6. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

People at my work complain when I play Tangerine Dream, they complain when I play Taylor Swift. Their loss.

7. zappinnati

zappinnati Forum Resident

Dude...exact same for me!

8. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Asia
    Bad Boys Blue
    Chicago
    Dead or Alive
    Level 42
    Sophie Ellis-Bextor

Embarrassed, sometimes... Still enjoy the music very much. Aside from Dead or Alive I own near-complete discographies of these artists!

9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I stopped displaying my 1950's/1960's cheesecake collection after my daughter was born. They used to hang on the wall of my music room. In fact, other than a super hot Mary Tyler Moore cover, I've stopped buying them as well.

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

There have been some nasty rumors surrounding that group. Don't know if it's just Dark Side/Wizard of Oz urban legend territory, or if there is more to it.

11. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

I'm embarrassed about nothing I like. I blast the Manilow, then I blast the Barbra Streisand, then I blast the Jethro Tull and the Rush. Loud and proud. And Asia? I turn that up to 11 then stare at you defiantly.

12. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

No one who knows me, especially offline, is going to go anywhere near "crucifying" me (or frankly anyone else) about anything like tastes, interests, etc., because they know that would backfire pretty bad.

13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I hate Wham! Playing a marching band arrangement of "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" will do that to you.

14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I would like there to be more to it, a great pop band with a dark side, maybe that's what I saw in them. Like Del Shannon every song an inner darkness.

15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Um, the rumors are that they are essentially a softer, poppier version of Skrewdriver.

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

As is Morrissey, who the OP likes.

17. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

As a child way back when, I was embarrassed because I liked the Carpenters. Now that I have grown older I've learned not to give a damn what other people think about my choices.

Bern likes this.
  18. drobo

drobo Forum Resident

Paul Revere and the Raiders.....not the music but those crazy outfits.

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I get good natured stick from friends for liking Queen too much, along with Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, general 80s synth pop etc, then other friends laugh at me liking Iron Maiden! Oh well, I think they're all great. I just wish a couple of them wouldn't play me horrible Tom Waits and Nick Cave records. Yuck!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  20. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Oh, not good.

21. scantregard

scantregard Forum Resident

The very idea that you'd be ashamed of the music you love is laughable. Rather, be ashamed of yourself for being so shallow.

22. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I am ashamed at my shallowness. But I think I won the thread.

Franz Lehar / Imre Kalman operettas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

no need to be embarrassed mate. i don't like culture club, but so what, if you do, that's great. wham were pretty good. george michael was a great singer.
    i really liked adam and the ants kings of the wild frontier, it had cool guitar riffs and tribal drums. it was like a pop/punk version of world music, before i even knew world music was around. it was also predominantly liked by girls ... and i don't care.
    as far as people teasing you ... don't give them the upper hand by caring about it. shrug it off. if you react, they see that they have a form of power over you, don't give it to them.

24. zen

zen Senior Member

John Payne years, right?

RangerXT likes this.
  25. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

Both incarnations. Wetton years are more popular, but it still gets a bit of hate. I like all incarnations of Asia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.