Speakers for 11 watts Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile Thread Starter

I want bookshelf speakers for a 11 watt per channel tube amp. I been using 86dB sensitive Pioneer SP-BS 22s and it is loud enough. But perhaps some extra reserve would be good. I was thinking Wharfedale 225s at 88dB efficient. I have about a $750 budget. The Pioneers are not exactly lower end audiophile quality.

H8SLKC likes this.
  2. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

2 dB increased sensitivity isn't significant enough to justify the change if extra headroom is the reason for doing so.

H8SLKC and 2trackmind like this.
  3. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

With 11 W, I would definitely look at 93db and up. However effeciency and power rating figures don't tell you everything. So... Try before you buy.

H8SLKC likes this.
  4. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I use 6 watts (single ended EL84 amp) with my Usher 520s speakers and I think it sounds fine at regular listening volumes. Not blasting but not quiet either and the bass is very nice..

H8SLKC likes this.
  5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Paradigm studio 40’s are 93db sensitive but are on the larger side for bookshelf speakers.

This is a question I’ve looked into a few times. I’ve settled on Rogers ls3/5as but their not all that sensitive and you do need to sit fairly close to them.

At the end of the day Klipsch is the way to go if you want to fill a room with sound using a low powered amp.

6. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I think Omega bookshelves may work (high efficiency) but cannot vouche for how they sound.

Monitor Speakers

7. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

How big is your room? That's important when talking dynamics (extra reserve).

8. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

get some vintage 1960 speakers!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Some jbl’s or altec’s would be ideal but not fit for a bookshelf.

10. stereoguy

Correct, but there were bookshelf speakers in 1960 too........those would fit the bill perfectly.

11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

What are you thinking? I’ve not heard many vintage speakers that I would prefer over new.

12. stereoguy

Well, Denny, I'd say this: I think vintage 2 ways would STILL sound better than 2018 full range drivers. I ran FRD with 14 watts for a couple of years, I never will again.

13. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I've been thinking of getting something like a Tube Cube 7 for a desktop near field listening environment, so this thread is very helpful. Other threads I've reviewed arrive at Klipsch over and over again, which is a shame because I'm not a huge fan of Klipsch. I may try the Tube Cube with a "normal" bookshelf model with 5-6" woofer and see what happens. Good luck in your search and I'll keep on watching this thread to see what other advice you get.

14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I was asking about specific speakers. I’ve found that Fishers sound very rough and the warfdales I’ve heard not much better. Condition can certainly be an issue but those old speakers can sound like an AM radio.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I wasn’t a Klipsch fan until I got a tube amp. And when I connect the ones I have with various SS amps, they sound pretty ugly.

At the end of the day I feel confident saying that it takes a big speaker to make a big sound with a small amp. I would love to be wrong but I just dont think you can get an 11wpc amp up to 90db clean with any bookshelf speaker if your listening from more than two feet away.

16. allied333

Only Klipsch I owned that did not have tweeter bite & a little honk was Cornwall- good sound, but huge. I did not like Forte with expensive titanium tweeter & upgraded crossover. Other I owned I did not like was a bookshelf model. I cannot remember the model number. All Klipsch were powered with tube amps.

17. allied333

15 x 20 x 10 foot cathedral ceiling.

18. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'm using Wharfedale Dentons with my Fisher X-100 in my 8 x 11 room. It's a great pairing.
    [​IMG]

baconbadge and Eigenvector like this.
  19. allied333

Yes, Super 7 looks good, $1K though.

20. allied333

I was thinking about the Dentons, but at 6 ohms & I think 86dB. The brighter 225s would be better for my old ears. I can go with 225s, but 92dB+ sensitivity would be better.

21. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

That's almost exactly the same sized room and ceilings of the space my vintage system occupies - mainly used with 90 dB speakers and ~ 50 wpc of amplifier power. I mostly listen at low to moderate levels for which I find the system adequate but I'm pretty certain 86 dB speakers with 11 wpc would impose some serious limitations on my listening enjoyment.

In any case, you're really going need significantly increased sensitivity of the speakers to obtain an appreciable improvement in dynamic range with the present amplifier.

22. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

OK, that's a good size room. Think you're on the right track with the 90dB plus sensitivity idea, especially if you like a little volume. If you like things a little quieter your options widen.

I have a pair of Silverline Preludes (narrow towers...87dB I believe) powered with an 8-watt tube amp and it sounds good and dynamic in a 20 by 20 room at my office. But they're never playing very loud.

The fun is in the hunt. Good luck!

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Reality is more like 94 db sensitive and up which puts you in Klipsch and Coral territory for something viable. Especially in anything but an office sized small room. Klipsch KG 4 would be a good candidate or something similar in the newer line.

24. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

inperson likes this.
  25. allied333

Interesting, but 55hz bass response. The Monitor Super 7 is 45hz bass response. I cannot run my subwoofer on my tube amp. For some reason it sounds terribly flabby, but the regular speakers sounds much better with the bass just no extending as low- go figure! Sub is great on my HT system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.