Black Sabbath Deluxe Editions January 22, 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

Think those 'vault' live recordings and any remaining extras will ever see the light of day?

2. [​IMG]

BluesOvertookMe and Music_dude like this.
  3. Music_dude

Is that guy still alive? Lol. You'd think he'd have found a way to capitalize on Sabbaths recent resurgence. E.g some form of rarities compilation etc..

4. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I have no idea whether is still alive or not. My guess is that one would need band members permission to release anything, and they are not ready to make business with him anymore. Of course, this is just speculation, but the fact is that somebody owns the multitracks tapes, not only for studio albums, but also for several 70's live shows, and nothing from those have ever been released, apart from Live at Last.

5. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

the colored are great EXCEPT for Vol 4 - I'd go with the CB or the OG.

Brenald79 likes this.
  6. telepicker97

OG Blizzard, Diary, remastered Tribute (the 1995 one with the little bitty square picture), and No More Tears OG.

7. telepicker97

I love both albums, and NSD especially is criminally underrated.

Jam757, sathvyre, Holy Diver and 3 others like this.
  8. This!

9. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'm the opposite. For me, it's '95 for Blizzard & Diary but 80s CD for Tribute.

tkl7 and cmarti like this.
  10. telepicker97

none of the 95s sound "bad"...just a bit different EQ, especially on the early stuff.

11. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Just FYI, the five non-DE Ozzy era 2016 Rhino released CDs are $5 or less (TE is $4.77) currently on Amazon (at least for Prime).
    The 1st three non-DE (BS, Paranoid, MoR) are $5.99.

Edit: corrected to say "2016 Rhino released" instead of "Rhino mastered"

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. cmarti

cmarti Forum Resident

Same here, the original Tribute CD had the Carmina Burana intro and that's important.

13. Beyond Salvation

Beyond Salvation Forum Resident

You've inspired me to hunt for my early Fontana copies. I know I have two of them somewhere in my collection & I will compare with the Vertigo swirl Aussie pressings, which are 1972 pressings.
    Fontana gatefold inner (good old Ossie Osborne eh!)
    [​IMG]

Vertigo gatefold inner (sorry about side shot)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  14. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Very cool, the gatefold is the second pressing, the single sleeve is the first. I’m sure they sound the same though. I have the first pressing.

15. Beyond Salvation

The single sleeve you have must be pretty rare, especially in mint cond. - both of mine are the gatefold. Nice score :)

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks! Yes, finding either version in playable condition is very hard. I got lucky years ago and purchased two first pressings off EBay. One had a splendid side two but a scratch going through the first track on side one. The second copy showed up mint and sounds spectacular.

I sold the scratched copy last year to a fan who didn’t care, they were just happy to have it.

I once had an Australian Vertigo Swirl Vol 4 in beautiful condition but I didn't like the sound at all, so I sold that off too.

Beyond Salvation likes this.
  17. This would be extremely interesting. The release date given on Wikipedia for the first album is 13 February 1970. Any chance that you dig out the source of your claim? I am not doubting you, anyway, if this be true, the Wikipedia article and many other articles on Sabbath's history would have to be corrected/extended, and evidence would be needed for that.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Music_dude

Any idea why these albums had different release dates in other countries? E.g. Black Sabbath s/t was released in the U.K. in February 1970, but wasn’t released in the States until June of that year. Similarly, Paranoid had a U.K. release in September 1970, but it took until January 1971 for it to be released in the USA and Canada... I’ve always wondered what the reason was.

19. Beyond Salvation

Maybe it took time to set up deals elsewhere, do all the legal record stuff/check out if the market was suitable etc.
    I do know one thing, Australia was certainly ready for Sabbath in 1970 - check out this live track from one of our home grown heroes & tell me it's not as good as anything else around at that time;

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  20. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Pretty sure part of the reason in the US that Paranoid was delayed is because the first album really took off and WB wanted to let it keep selling for a bit before introducing more product and potentially saturating the market. That would have been two new albums in only three months. This was a brand new band and a brand new sound. They probably wanted demand to build and that was a strategy that worked.

In fact, I believe Master of Reality was one of the first albums in the US to literally ship Gold. Warner had half a million pre-orders for that album. How it debuted at #8 and not #1 I’ll never understand. Charts have never interested me all that much but I always found that weird.

21. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I love the Aztecs and Billy Thorpe was one of rock’s greatest singers.

That version of “Momma” is from Live at Sunbury 1972, not 1970. But yes folks down under had certainly been ready for Sabbath. And they first played there in January, 1971.

22. ...and I guess that Sabbath liked Australia too. The only concerts in the 1970ies where it has been confirmed they played "Changes" live took place down under. Tony played piano or keyboard, Geezer played the mellotron:

More than 40 years would pass until Ozzy, Tony and Geezer would play and record that song again - during the Angelic Sessions.

23. Vinyl Fan 1973

I know that I added the link to the source a few years back when I first got the LP. I'd have to find it, but I'll try. I found it after lots of digging online and it wasn't easy.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  24. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Very true and it was mainly because the song was a smash down there.

However, Tony has recently said they played the song at Hollywood Bowl in ‘72. As pictures from the day of the gig show the band with piano and mellotron, I suspect it was played that night as the bootleg recording of that show certainly seems incomplete.

25. Thanks, that would be great!

Do you have a link to those pictures by any chance? I remember Tony's remark in that interview, but I didn't take it very seriously, because I often find the band members' memories to be questionable. Pictures of piano and mellotron, however, would be strong evidence.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.