Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

in the warm mesh of sunlight
    sifting now from a cloudless sky.

GowG and anth67 like this.
  2. tootull

It's just the live music-I think the 5.1 live mix could have been more aggressive.

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

So is it like live 5.1 mixes usually are? Mostly ambience and audience in the rears?

I expect that the studio album's surround mix is as good as the ones before, right?

4. tootull

A touch better than that, though very similar. The audience has been mixed so low that the overall ambience/feeling is almost lost.

wolfram likes this.
  5. tootull

The 5.1 studio tracks are in a different league. Perfection to me.

MikeT, DaveJ, lordfalconer and 2 others like this.
  6. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The new Heavy Horses set is wonderful. Loving the care taken in bringing the remix of the original album, as well as the improved sound of the Berne concert. Bursting Out always sounded as though the drums had been badly recorded (tinny, screeching cymbals and deficient floor tom-tom), and this has been nicely rectified in the sound of this concert, which was one of the venues from which Bursting Out was selected.

7. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I noticed big differences with side 2 compared to side 1. Were all the original tapes found?

8. wolfram

Thanks, good to hear. I'm a rather casual Tull fan, but this is the album I know best after "Aqualung". And I'm a fan of Wilson's surround mixes, so I will very likely get this set.

tootull likes this.
  9. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

All the remixes are so good that everyone would become a Tull fan

Bonddm and tootull like this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I listened to the 5.1 mix from DVD 1 this morning and thought it was excellent. I have all of the Tull sets and find all of the 5.1 mixes to be excellent. I was somewhat distracted as I kept looking at my "disfigured" DVD 2 and it ruined the whole listening experience ;). Oh the humanity :D!

11. wolfram

Yes, these re-issues have made me catch up with some albums I didn't know before. They sure sound great.

lordfalconer, DaverJ and Bill Mac like this.
  12. tootull

13. tootull

:D :D :D The clouds fade as the music shines through. (too much, I know) :tiphat:

Bill Mac likes this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Works for me :righton:!

tootull likes this.
  15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Tbt I got this one for the Berne set. Total upgrade over Bursting...and Ill still keep it. HH is decent enough but never one of my favorites.

16. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Actually I am paying for a disc that should have no visible flaws. Any records purchased should arrive in the same "new" condition. Please direct me to any notice on the product that would indicate such terms.

I guess that you'd be just fine with a windshield on your car having a few cloudy spots due to a manufacturing defect. It still keeps the wind and water out and you can see through most of it so it must be ok.........

For the record: None of the discs in any of my Tull box sets have had any visible defects.

17. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I've had this kind of discussion with a seller from Discogs who sent me a "mint US copy" of a CD that turned out to have fingerprints and scratches on it, as well as being made in the Netherlands. He just said return it for a refund, but as long as it played, it was mint. I tossed it instead (reasoning that he lied about the condition and the origin of the CD, so was I likely to get a refund on the CD?). He left negative feedback because he didn't believe I would do that.
    Personally, I expect a new item to be unblemished.

18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I don't know if standards are going up... or standards are going down (on my end)... but all I can remember is growing up as a kid, when I got a new toy, I didn't examine every part of it to see if the plastic was welded just exactly right, to see if every sticker was just exactly perfect... those things never crossed my mind. I took it out and played with it. And it gave me joy.

And when I bought music growing up, I didn't worry about hype stickers, pressing plants, whether the print was blurry on the cassette, or whether there was a crease on my vinyl album cover. And when CD's came around, I didn't hold my CD up to the light and look for problems, I think I did that to marvel at the rainbows it cast on the wall, but otherwise I threw it on my player as quickly as possible and opened my ears. And it gave me joy.

Somewhere along the way, things acquired for 'pleasure' seem to have become more important as material objects, than for the joy they give.

I won't say that's wrong. But I will say that's sad.

Carry on... I wish we could return to talking about... you know... the music.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  19. yescool2002

yescool2002 Forum Resident

I certainly hope they can find someone who can properly mix the next live recordings, this is dry as a soundboard stereo tape

JulesRules and sound chaser like this.
  20. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Driving around with the stereo remix CD in my vehicle, I definitely like this album more than I ever did. I always felt that this album and Stormwatch muted the “character” of each individual member, creating that more generic sound they had in the late 80s onward. This remix brings out the Jethro Tull I love from TAAB to SFTW. I’m still getting used to Ian’s hoarseness...

dougb222 and DaverJ like this.
  21. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I reckon Mr Wilson wouldn’t do a bad job...too bad he doesn’t seem to want to do live surround.

JulesRules likes this.
  22. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

What does dry sound like?

kinglewi likes this.
  23. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

:unhunh:

24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The purpose of a windshield is to see through. Blemishes might prevent that, or make it more difficult, so it would not be acceptable. In this case, the DVD was made to transport music. It does that. It was not made to be framed and put on the wall. The comparison is apples and oranges.

No-one is arguing that a blemish free disc wouldn't be preferable. No-one is saying they prefer or blindly accept damaged goods. What I'm saying is - there is a mark on the disc, but since it does not affect playback, it's acceptable. No replacement is necessary.

porieux, Plan9 and Deek57 like this.
  25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I very rarely resell. It's just not a consideration for me. Given every set in this case seems to have the marks, how can it affect its value?

Mind you, who's buying with the idea of reselling, other than dealers?

Deek57 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.