Turntable decisions.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pythonman, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

FWIW I was posed with a similar decision - looking at a Rega or ClearAudio as a potential upgrade.

Someone brought up the 1200GR as a suggestion that I immediately dismissed outright.

The more I thought about it, and the more I researched I warmed to the idea and eventually for many reasons ended up going with it.

Couldn't be happier. From the first record I spun there was a huge upgrade in quality. The table is rock solid, dead quiet and very easy to set up. My 2M Bronze sounfns great with it.

2. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendation about not getting the Ifi product. I appreciate it. And if everything goes right it looks like I'm going with the VPI Prime today.

I remembered something that I did 25yrs ago, I ordered a VPI HW19Jr with an Audioquest tonearm and before it had a chance to ship I realized I couldn't afford the $1000 or whatever it was and bought a Rega Planar2 instead. This time I'm going with my gut instinct and will go with mass instead of glass lol!

3. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Good table, you will enjoy it. You couldn't really pick a loser.

Sugar Man likes this.
  4. Pythonman

Just ordered a new open box VPI Prime with a huge discount and got the Hana SH with it. Thanks for the help!

andybeau, Helom, Sugar Man and 2 others like this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Prime or Scout Prime?

6. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

Yes, if it drove better. I'd also draft a player who actually played better on the field or court, than the one who measured better in the combine.

Helom likes this.
  7. Pythonman

Prime! Wanted that 10" 3D printed arm with the VTA tower. Basically saved almost $1000 off retail bundling open box new table with Hana SH.

8. Strat-Mangler

I got the sane turntable. Enjoy. It's great! Congratulations!

Pythonman likes this.
  9. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

I look forward to your impressions to the table and cart.
    I picked up a Prime to replace my HW-19 mk3 and it was an amazing upgrade.

Enjoy!

Pythonman likes this.
  10. missan

missan Forum Resident

You are correct, usually the motor is fastened att the bearing housing, had to look.

11. Pythonman

Well, table got here and the stub for the counterweight is broken clean off with the weight attached and the finger lift on the headshell is molded and it's broken off as well. I didn't unpack the rest of the table. I'm royally unhappy with this purchase so far. I was told this table is a brand new open box model with full warranty and was told it was perfect and "tested" and repacked and if anything is wrong they would ship me a brand new one in the box. So we shall see. Didn't VPI switch to a non-printed metal finger lift tab for the 3D arm that you bolt on with the cartridge screws over a year ago???

12. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

That friken sucks.
    Who did you get it from?

patient_ot likes this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Although it sucks you have to go through a return, you're covered. Ultimately, you'll get what you paid for. Hang in there, bud. It's only a temporary setback. You still got a killer deal and will get what you're supposed to have very soon.

Contact the dealer ASAP and they'll make it right.

Pythonman and Kristofa like this.
  14. Pythonman

Yeah I don’t think somethings fishy I just think I was sent something that was supposed to go back to VPI by mistake. Still, the deal was if anything was amiss I get a NIB unit right away.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. Make sure you buy it from a place that will let you return it for a full refund if you don't like it. If you are in the U.K., buy the Rega. If you are in North America, buy American and get the VPI. If it were me, I'd buy a nice reasonably priced turntable and buy more records with the savings.

andybeau, Bob_in_OKC and Pythonman like this.
  16. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Both tables are fantastic choices, it's really about what floats YOUR boat at this price point-you will get outstanding sonic s from both. Both were on my list when I upgraded a couple of years ago, but the one that I couldn't get out of my mind was the Pro-Ject Xtension 10 after hearing it at a show. When a mint used one came up at a great on Audiogon I jumped, I love the non-fiddly ease of use and setup and the ability to change speeds at the touch of a button (a big plus with all the great new 45rpm releases). I'd chose the Rega for that reason. I love the sound of VPI tables (had a HW-19 Jr for years) but I couldn't go back to the moving the belt routine when I want to change speeds. If I ever win the lottery I'll get a Classic Direct and call it a day.

Pythonman likes this.
  17. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Why did you give away the 125?

18. Pythonman

Because my friend who was older really admired that table and had a boatload of mint vinyl with nothing to play it on. So, I hooked him up with it. My Planar 2 table back then was making the right noises for me at the time so I didn't miss it. He still has the Thorens. What are friends for??

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  19. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

You are a good friend! Which do you think will last longer, the thorens or your new deck?! :winkgrin:

20. Pythonman

So far the betting money would have to go on the 45 year old Thorens. That table needs a good new set of springs, belt and a mirror for the strobe disc but otherwise it runs like a top last I saw of it.

21. Pythonman

Prime arrived today. NIB and perfect. Setup wasn't bad, got Hana aligned in no time then had to fuss a bit with counterweight and azimuth. First record up was an older Who's Next and I was shocked at how quiet it tracked, how strong the vocals were the crisp highs, details galore OMG this almost too good to be true. Then I threw on some VH, the Police and Led Zep II. I had to pinch myself. Completely not prepared for the overt change in sound for the better from what I had to this.

BTW, for Prime owners, if you use only the tonearm lead twisted once for AS like I am and you're not using the weights and fishing line, what do you do with the fishing line lol? Thanks. Needs more break in on the new table but this is FUN!

22. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

Glad you got it up and running. Yea, it’s an eye opener when you first drop that arm.
    Just put my Hana SL on today.:D:D

As far as the fishing line, I just let it hang.

Keep spinning
    mdr

Pythonman likes this.
  23. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Music direct has a VPI Traveler B stock for 899 right now.

Ken Clark likes this.
  24. Pythonman

Eigenvector likes this.
  25. Pythonman

sturgus, Eigenvector, nosliw and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.