Artists You Used to See Every Time They Toured - But You Stopped!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tull for one. No voice, no Barre, I'm done. Buddy Guy is the one that came to mind. Saw him every time he came to town. Blew me away the first time I saw him in the '80's. Walked around the club and out the door while playing, played with his teeth, all the tricks. Then I saw him in the same club a couple more times over the next decade and got pretty much the exact same show. I waited about five years and saw him at a different, larger venue and . . . got the exact same show minus the walk outside. As good a show as it is, four times was enough.

Bonddm likes this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That was probably a smart decision.

3. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

The Good Ole Grateful Dead around 1980.
    For me the magic was gone.
    It just wasn't the same with Brent, keyboard synthesizers and Garcia's decline.

4. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

Even though I acknowledge that they are still great, I've seen Springsteen with the E Street Band so many times since the 80s that since the deaths of Clarence and Danny, I've stopped going in the 2010s. I loved the Broadway show, and I'm happy he keeps the band going for people who haven't gotten a chance to see them, but I've been done for a while.

5. MaccaBeatles

MaccaBeatles Forum Resident

He's as much an original member as any of them, he was there when Brian formed the band in 1961, and played bass and backing vocals on Surfin'. (1961)

Al was there for the first rehearsals and earliest official recording session (before they'd even toured as a live act) and David was there for the first live tour and first few albums at the beginning. In my book that gives both Al Jardine and David Marks the right to be referred to as "founding members" of The Beach Boys.

To answer the thread title, i've seen Brian Wilson five times in the last 8 years, (including the last 2012 reunion Beach Boys show at Wembley, and the Pet Sounds show twice) Unless we get something different to the 50th Anniversary Pet Sounds shows next time, I probably wont see him again. On the other hand I am lucky enough to be going to see Al Jardine doing a small acoustic show next month in Chicago! :D

6. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

that's a lot of frequent flyer points

7. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

you lucky fellows on the East Coast have so many quick jaunts to multiple shows

some "you would think" musical places to live - we have to travel to see many artists

family in Michigan know if I'm home visiting
    there is a concert involved too

bluejimbop likes this.
  8. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

U2. Had tickets for the No Line on the Horizon tour, but Bono busted up his back and the show was postponed. Couldn't attend when they finally played the rescheduled date due to family matters, and the ensuing albums and tours were not enough to make me want to go.

That said, I'm seeing them in Vegas in a couple of months, but it's really just an excuse to meet up with some friends of ours and have some fun.

9. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I have seen RUSH on every tour since 87. However, missed the last one and the arena is 10 minutes away. On the CA tour and other recent artists tours, I got tired of everyone holding phones up. I still go to shows, however, if I can’t get the front row of a section....I’m out

bluejimbop and zen like this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

Nah, that fits - as long as you're good to your word and don't actually see another Waters tour! :D

Say It Right likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

I do think the shows miss something without Clarence and Danny, but they're still awfully good.

The late summer 2016 shows were remarkable. I wasn't excited about the early 2016 "full 'River'" shows but those later in the year performances were pretty terrific!

blueslover99 likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

And your point is...?

13. Oatsdad

Best shows on the 360 Tour were the 2009 concerts - they played a fair amount of the new album and some other curveball selections.

By 2011 - when you would've gone to the rescheduled performance - it'd essentially become an "Achtung Baby" 20th anniversary tour. Still enjoyable but not as good as the 2009 shows.

I liked the 2015 tour a lot and enjoyed the "Joshua Tree" shows more than expected. I'm not fan of "whole album" shows in general, but those worked - especially when they got to "Side 2" since so many of those songs hadn't been played live a lot...

Meyer likes this.
  14. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

I agree, I got some of the live downloads of the tour and they were great! It just takes a lot to get me in an arena these days.

15. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Richard Thompson - I was obsessed with him between 1987 and 1990 and still keen up to around 1998. Saw an acoustic gig he did in Oldham in early 1998 (tour on which he was supported by his son Teddy). Nothing wrong with the gig but just felt I'd had enough. Not seen him since or bought any of his subsequent albums.

16. Oatsdad

I may get to the point where I can't be bothered with large venues, but I ain't there yet! :D

I actually suspect the hassles of big shows bother me less than they would people who don't go to many shows because I'm so accustomed to them... :shrug:

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  17. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I love my dearly departed parents, but the one thing I still have trouble with is they wouldn't take us to see The Beatles at Dodger Stadium in 1966. I was 7, my sister was 9. Tickets were cheap. And yes, we begged.

Which is why I took my own kids to see McCartney, Dylan, Neil, Petty, Ringo, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Fogerty, etc.

And anyone else they wanted to see. So Bieber, Backstreet, NSYNC, etc.

Better safe than sorry.

18. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

I stopped seeing Pere Ubu, one of my favourite bands (for 30+ years since I was 15), due to members of the audience at the last two London concerts I went to. Chatting, tweeting, waving large mobile devices around, even during quiet songs and while leader David Thomas was speaking. It was awful and tear-inducing.

So much to do with good music is dying away and falling apart.. :(

bluejimbop likes this.
  19. BlueSpeedway

Small ones are no better in my recent experiences!

20. BlueSpeedway

Well done, you’re a good parent. It will mean the world to them when they’re older, even if / when their tastes are changed.

markbrow and bluejimbop like this.
  21. Oatsdad

Different venues present different challenges, so yes - small venues aren't the perfect paradise some make them out to be! :)

Many - most? - of my favorite shows have been at large venues, but that's more because those are the places the artists I want to see play!

(Best Stones show I ever saw was at 2000-person Roseland, though!)

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

The list might be shorter of artists I didn't stop going to see every tour, because I used to go to see a lot of different people every tour if at all possible.

At any rate, here are a handful that I stopped seeing regularly:

Aerosmith - I've never liked what I consider "nostalgia" or "greatest hits" shows. I want to see artists doing something different each time I go to see them live. Do some new material, some different material, at least try a new approach to the old material, etc. Somewhere in the early 2000s I decided to stop bothering with bands that did nostalgia/greatist hits shows. Aerosmith is one of them.

KISS - another on the "nostalgia"/"greatest hits" show casualty list. Also now Paul Stanley can't seem to sing live any longer, so that doesn't help.

King's X - turned into more of a nostalgia/greatest hits act not too long after XV--hard to believe it's been so long since their last studio album now, and while it's not fair to the band--my balking for this reason contributes to the problem, the fact that they're still grinding away in small clubs with kind of an air of futility was starting to get depressing to me. It also didn't help that at least on one occasion that I went to see them, they didn't take the stage until 2:00 a.m. or something like that. I'm not a "night person."

Rush - They were always a bit frustrating to me live, because their performance philosophy is the opposite of what I prefer--I want to see artists do something different with the material live. Rush usually prefers to play stuff just like the record. Despite that fact, I saw them live many times, but I started getting spotty with it by the later 90s.

Yes
    - combo of folks leaving, folks getting and seeming old, important folks dying, the stupidity of warring factions, etc.

All of the above are still favorite artists of mine, by the way, I still listen to their albums regularly. But I just want something different from a live show than they were giving me.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  23. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Ah--another big category is simply that unless it was something extraordinary, I started bypassing shows at those outdoor summer venues like Jones Beach and PNC Bank Arts Center in New York/New Jersey. I don't know why, exactly, but I hate the atmosphere of those venues. They're also really hard to get out of--bottlenecks of people, bottlenecks of cars, stressful highways, tunnels etc. back home, and so on.

I pretty much always avoided stadium shows, though I'd make an exception for a few artists (mainly the Stones, Floyd and Prince).

I'm way more picky when it comes to concerts than I am with a lot of other stuff. And I got a lot more picky as I got older. A lot of it has to do with logistics rather than the artists themselves. I don't like crowds, really (though I'll tolerate them for certain things, including that I go to plenty of sporting events), I don't like places that are difficult to get out of, I don't like places where it takes forever to get home afterwards--sometimes a big problem here in NYC, including slow overnight subway schedules, changed service, etc.

24. Oatsdad

Although I'm largely "venue agnostic", I do admit I ain't a fan of the big sheds. As you note, traffic is usually AWFUL in/out, and prices for good seats are a bigger issue than at arenas.

In an arena, there'll be some decent side/rear stage seats that are fairly cheap - or club/uppers that are fairly close to the stage and less expensive.

Those seats don't exist at sheds, so unless you pay the top price, you'll be a million miles from the stage...

25. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

The Rolling Stones and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I’ve seen both a bunch of times, I wouldn’t go for free now.

showtaper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.