The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Distortion or buzzing in the Playing right? It is well known, it is not Ned, he listened and confirmed it as such NedBase: Annotated Nedbase 1970 - 1975 I recently came across in the Gear Book that at one time anyway they were using Countryman pickups in the piano which were known to act funny in humidity seemingly reacting in ways that may explain this. (the cite is around '71 so not really sure if they were still using in 6/74)

Ezzie, US Blues, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  2. btbderek

btbderek Kick Out The Jams

Just got on the bus here for good. I'm sure you guys get posts like these from time to time so I apologize in advanced, but there's so much material to seek out that I dont know where to start. Have been a casual fan of The Dead for a couple of years after picking up the debut album at the record store, ended up with the first three studio albums as I really dig their early sound. Would visit back and forth here and there, but recently gave Europe 72 and Skull & Roses some attention and it shook my whole world! The moment I heard Morning Dew from Europe 72 I knew it was a changing moment for me. I'm absolutely loving those two live albums along with the complete Beat Club recording/show. I have heard snippets of Live/Dead, but have to go back and listen in full now. Any suggestions where to go from here? Particularly interested in that pivotal point between Aoxomoxoa and Workingman's Dead/ American Beauty as I love their early sound but have really turned on to their stripped down sound as well. But looking for any thing suggested of any time period really, figured it might be helpful if I noted where I was so far in the search. Looking forward to hearing some long improvised jams, as that is something I came to love as a result of digging into Zeppelin's live shows. Thanks in advanced!

P.s. Any suggestions that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to acquire on Vinyl would be much appreciated as well!

3. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

4. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I initially assumed it was Ned, but a quick online search set the record straight. There are definitely strange un-Keith-like sounds coming from the keyboards on the 6/16/74 show.

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and bmoregnr like this.
  5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Anthem of the Sun is pretty essential. There are so many things available from this period known as Primal Dead.

6. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Dick's Picks 4 (2/13 & 2/14/70)
    Ladies & Gentlemen (April 71 Fillmore East)
    Europe 72 Volume 2
    Steppin’ Out (4 CD set from England 72)
    Movie Soundtrack from October 74

notesofachord, Ezzie, adamos and 14 others like this.
  7. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Dick's Picks 4

And fifty other things, of course. :) But it's easy to get overwhelmed early on.

Yes, we've done this a few times before, and we're happy to do it again, no worries.

trd, Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  8. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

There are very few bad choices to be made.
    I'm not a vinyl guy (don't see the point, especially for live Dead). Head to the archive and find something to listen to.

The 5cd Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack is fantastic with many long jams.

Crispy Rob, rcb30, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  9. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

It sounds like you are doing pretty well all on your own! I'd second Anthem Of The Sun for sure. Maybe Ladies And Gentlemen the Grateful Dead to stick with the shows that made up Skull & Roses. For some reason Dicks Picks 4: 2-13,14-70 is screaming out to me as well in your case. Another thought is DiP 8 but there was a nice traded version of that done recently if you want to taste that 5-2-70 Harper

10. Ladies and Gentlemen, the Grateful Dead (4/27-28-29/1971) I picked this before realizing that bmoregnr has also just recommended it.
    Europe '72, Volume II

Tons of live performance video on Youtube, and plenty of audio available for preview. Pick a year. Most of what I've seen on there between 1967 and 1974 runs somewhere between good and excellent. This is an assessment by someone familiar with their foibles and flaws, of course.

The 1966-1969 Dead used to play really, really fast, is all I can say, lol. I like those vintage 1960s uptempo tunes to snack on, the vibe gets through my laptop better than the long jams or the slow ballads. I reserve the epics for listening with a full-fledged home or car audio system. A reasonable amount of bass is important for proper frequency balance and impact.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  11. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

PITB stayed as a first set option until 76, and some of the crazier versions of 74 were in the first set!
    Are you sticking with official releases?

The real pivot between Aoxomoxoa and Workingman's occurred roughly between April-December of 69 and on into 1970. Although there are some official releases from this era, most of the archive releases are OOP and so may cost a bit much for a starter kit. You can get a real sense of it by digging into 1969 on the Archive, especially shows from those months I mentioned. DP 16 and 26, Road Trips 4.1 and DAP 10 and 19 are all from this era, but DaP 10 especially will cost you.

Mansley, adamos, SBegonias17 and 2 others like this.
  12. btbderek

There's such a wealth of information on here, I absolutely love it. Thank you very much to each and everyone of you for your suggestions. Looks like I have plenty to dig into tomorrow, thank you so much! Looking forward to learning more and more, will definitely be back!

Sidenote: Any good reading material or documentaries on the band that I should check out? I have seen Long Strange Trip and The Other One:The Story of Bob Weir, loved both, but would love to dig in a little deeper.

13. btbderek

I'm completely open to anything, bootlegs, soundboards, audience tapes, whatever is out there pretty much. I mentioned vinyl cause that is the main format I have a dedicated stereo system for, but I have decent headphones for digital/cd stuff.

14. ianuaditis

www.archive.org/details/gd1974-06-28.139780.sbd.miller.fixed.flac1644

This is one of their all time jams, beginning with 'Weather Report Suite' in set 2. It's also available as Dick's Picks 12, but it's here for convenience. You wouldn't go wrong listening to a few 74 shows straight through (though be warned, the 'Seastones' aka 'Phil and Ned' segments are experimental electronic music. What the hell is this? is a frequent reaction.)

These streams are Mp3, but you can get most shows that are featured on the archive from torrent sites. If you are interested in that, other users know much more than I do. We are allowed to mention it but not supposed to get into specifics except by PM.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    btbderek likes this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

16. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Great introductory material right there mate. Especially based on your starting point criteria. When you're ready for post 74, go directly to To Terrapin, 5/28/77. Although not released on vinyl, it was a noose around many a deadheads neck around these parts

17. ianuaditis

The book Garcia: Signpost to New Space is one of my favorites. It's a collection of interviews done in 71 and 72, half about the band and music and the other half just hippy stuff.

I recently read both Kreutzmann's book Deal and Phil Lesh's Searching for the Sound. Both were worthwhile, though Phil's read like he had a ghostwriter (even though he didn't,) and Bill's (which was written 'with' Benjy Eisen) read like someone just transcribed a bunch of taped conversations.

So Many Roads was another good one I would recommend.

I own the first one, but the others I got via request at my local library, they have a system that lets you order books from all over the state even if your library doesn't have it. I'm probably going to dial up a few more now that I'm thinking about it, so I'll probably have some more recommendations in a week or two!

Edit: I found out that the library in the next town (which is only about a quarter mile further from my house than the library in my town) has a couple of titles, and the library two towns over (which may be the only one within about 50 miles of my home that I've never been in,) has a bunch more.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  18. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

I'd second any mention of Ladies and Gentlemen the Grateful Dead.

Hundred Year Hall from the '72 Europe tour. Sunshine Daydream from fall '72.

From the Vault 1, 2, and 3 are all excellent, and well recorded live shows that you will probably like.

Upcoming re-issues of Road Trips from 5-15-70 and 2-14-68 probably fit right in to what you're describing also.

The Fillmore West 1969 small set, and 2-11-69 are also official releases that should be easy to find, from the Live/Dead album era.

19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Hey, @btbderek, welcome to the bus. It doesn't have a driver and could go off the road at any moment, but oddly, that's why we're all here. Anything commercially available from '68-'74 on dead.net should suit you just fine (make that '75 as the 8/13/75 Vault release is absolutely essential). But Reckoning from '80 is also a must-buy. If you get all of that (those I see as essential), you're looking at about $400, so that's a good start and we're talking retail here (not insane ebay resale of rarities).

Yes, this band is a legitimate wallet-suck. Welcome and strap in. The Bill Graham intro to 8/13/75 is spine-tingling and they're just noodling. Hoo Hah!

Edit: Great googly-moogly, I'd forgotten how stuipdly hot the Slipknot! from 8/13/75 was. It's currently frying an egg and some corned beef hash in this domicile.

Second edit: Woozy-goozy the Frankin's is off the charts!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Shame those words couldnt be more copacetic.

btbderek, wavethatflag and ianuaditis like this.
  21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Buy a couple of 4 TB hard drives and find a good torrent client for your OS. :tiphat:

ianuaditis, btbderek, Ezzie and 4 others like this.
  22. US Blues

They edited out the part where he talks about betting with Ron Rackow regarding getting paid to introduce the band. Revisionist history at it's finest.

Crispy Rob, btbderek, Ezzie and 3 others like this.
  23. US Blues

Kate, it's always a delight when you share something with us.

24. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

That doesn't make that intro any less spine-tingling, does it?

25. ianuaditis

I let my cousin borrow my copy of 2-11-69 about 10 years ago, I had made a cassette of it for the car, which is all I have of it now.

I asked her about it recently, she had no idea what I was talking about. She's getting married this year, I may have to track down a sealed copy as a wedding gift.

Anyway, I really like that show, I listened again recently to the Live/Dead sequence on it and it was an nice economical rendition, like a digest version of that era.

And 5-23 and 5-24-69 will also be re-released soon in the Road Trips sequence, that one is a can't miss for me.