He or She never fulfilled their potential in your eyes..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frimleygreener, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

Nick Drake (assuming he could have got himself together)

vanhooserd likes this.
  2. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Maybe because the vocalist saw that there was more money to be made being Mick Jagger in a Rolling Stones tribute act..

blastfurniss and driverdrummer like this.
  3. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Now Rumer, she could have a good career being a Karen Carpenter tribute act..

driverdrummer likes this.
  4. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Sometimes because of drugs but also because musical tastes changed and opportunities dried up but so many jazz artists who didn’t fulfill their potential. I’ll start with Tina Brooks, sideman on Hubbard’s Open Seseme and a few McLean and Freddie Redd albums in the early 60s Tina had an amazing four album run with Blue Note: Minor Move/True Blue/Back to the Tracks/The Waiting Game, that should have made him a star. Unfortunately those albums sat in the Blue Note vaults and got released after he had died. Great song writer and sax man, got chewed up and spit out by the music industry.

vanhooserd and munjeet like this.
  5. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I actually think he completely redeemed himself with How The West Was Won. It wouldn’t’ve been as special if he’d been churning out albums every three or four years since 1981z

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm a big BC fan, and I'd agree they didn't pan out to be the truly great band I'd hoped they'd become.

I love 'em but I can't claim they fired on all cylinders through their career. The 1st 2 albums were terrific, the 3rd was pretty good, and then it all became very up and down.

Though maybe they did live up to their potential and we simply assumed they had more potential than they did! :shrug:

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  7. davpel

davpel Forum Resident

"Absolutely Barking Stars" is in my personal Top 20 best songs of all time. Blows me away every time I hear it. But with that talent, Maria McKee should have been a household name, no question.

And on a related note, I'll throw James Hall (whom I saw live for the one and only time in 1996 opening for McKee at the Shelter in Detroit) into the mix for unfulfilled potential. I've been listening to him a lot this past month and he is a really phenomenal songwriter. His one major label shot with Geffen went nowhere and it seems he's since become an Alex Chilton-like figure in terms of being an enigma.

I would also include John Wesley Harding/Wes Stace in this list. He's has carved out a nice career for himself, but I was sure he was on the verge of stardom in the early 90's. Great songwriter, talented live performer, smart, very funny.

DesertHermit likes this.
  8. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Interesting thread, if a little muddy. Not fulfilling potential to me means that someone showed a spark of creativity and never really did anything with it. Nick Drake only made three albums but they're all amazing. To say that he succumbed to his own demons or whatever is one thing, but the work itself is such that I think he more than fulfilled his potential. It's just a shame there wasn't more of it.

thematinggame likes this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Do you have a recommendation; what are Lofgren's best albums? Thanks.

10. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

From a mere artistic point of view , it might be for the better - can't think of many artists who released their first albums in the late 60's/early 70's but "fulfilled their potential" in later years , on a similar note Kevin Ayers released a number of great albums during that time only to be followed by lots of mediocre ones in the following decades

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, that's a good album (from what I've heard people say - must get it one day) but the three Only Ones albums were just so good, I had really wanted him to come to the fore and be recognized as the great songwriter he was/is. Alas he just went down the drain for 30 odd years. Amazing that he came back the way he did though!

12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I think he reacted against self-revelation & adopted a more remote, ironic stance. The good thing was that he still seemed to love music & enjoy playing it.

13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Judee Sill. Should be up there with Joni.

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Drugs :cry:

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I guess I have to say Peter Green. Or he did fulfil his potential, it's just that his peak was too short. He was the equal of Hendrix; a complete musician. Killer guitarist and bass player, arranger, innovative songwriter with commercial appeal, emotive, fantastic singer (more powerful than Hendrix, Clapton and the rest of the guitar heroes).
    I do enjoy the music from his comebacks too.

16. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Me. I did ok, but could have done so much more.

george nadara and vanhooserd like this.
  17. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

what is your definition of potential? what is the premise? I would bet any professional keyboardist in rock would give anything to be Keith Emerson. He is one of maybe 3 keyboard players in rock that has a recognizable name, sold millions of records, and played before millions of people in stadiums worldwide. He might even be number 1 on the list with Rick Wakeman.

Dylancat likes this.
  18. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Nils Lofgren's 1975 solo debut , and the Grin - 1 + 1 album from '72 are good starting points.

19. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Jaco Pastorius. Wish he would have gotten the proper help he needed.

20. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

This is surprising. Joni definitely was/is an artist who kept growing as changing, redefining her potential. A string of 10+ pretty much perfect albums and several late-career highlights.

Tommy Jay likes this.
  21. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Hm, I dunno, not every talented musician has the chops to become an everlasting superstar. Many artists only had 2 or 3 great albums in them, that is their full potential. In fact, 90% of all artists have a run of artistic quality and/or commercial success for like 5 years, and after that it's downhill, with the incidental comeback hit/album, if they're lucky.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Kingsley Fats, thematinggame and DTK like this.
  22. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

First I thought of

Alicia Keys -- I know of her success however with her background as a classically trained pianist I had always wished she had gone in the direction of Jazz or classical music rather than the pop world but money always wins (that is personal and it doesnt mean she isnt a success)

Blind Melon -- lucky to have seen them live, boy were they a good band top to bottom
    Randy Rhoades -- first 2 ozzy albums were very good
    Brian Wilson -- obvious reasons

23. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I think I would put Stephen Stills on this list. After the Buffalo Springfield albums, the first couple CSN & whoever albums, his first solo album and the first Manassas album I thought I had found a new superhero, but with each subsequent release he seemed to slip a little more. I think he had pretty serious substance abuse issues which may have caused the problems, but he never again reached those early high points

Kingsley Fats and vanhooserd like this.
  24. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Emerson did what he wanted.
    I’m sure he didn’t care about what YOU thought.....
    I understand that you are only looking out for his best interests, but unfortunately it’s too late for him to consult you. The world is forever robbed now.
    :rolleyes:

Dylancat likes this.
  25. zen

zen Senior Member

Trevor Rabin
    ....turned into Mr. soundtrack. I have zero interest in his film and television scores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.