Poll-- The Weakest Link: The Small Faces OGDEN'S NUT GONE FLAKE, Round 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes Thread Starter

Are you all sitting comftybold two square on your botty? Then I'll begin.......
    [​IMG]

Hi everyone....welcome to the first ever Small Faces Weakest Link. Ogden's Nut Gone Flake rolled off the shelves almost 50 years ago....and is one of my all-time favorite albums. Please vote off two songs as weakest links.

Discussion question: What are your opinions on the side 2 storyline of Happiness Stan and the search for the missing half of the moon? How do you compare it to other concepts/stories at the time (Tommy, Arthur, SF Sorrow etc)?

OobuJoobu likes this.
  2. LandHorses

If anyone is unfamiliar with the album, and wants to play along, here it is...............

Hillel abramov likes this.
  3. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

Side 2 is by no doubt fantastic, can't compare it to anything. Now don't be mad at me but for 50 years (Pleased to meet you, hope you gussed my age:)). I tried to get rid of Stanley's lines on side 2 so that the music will run smoothly but could not.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    marmalade166 likes this.
  4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Hard one! Love side2 but had to vote off the Journey and Mad John

Hillel abramov likes this.
  5. MaccaBeatles

MaccaBeatles Forum Resident

One of the truly great psyche albums of that time, gloriously British, at a time when that was something that was common (Bonzos, The Who Sell Out, Village Green Preservation ect. But the difference is that amazingly this album got to No. 1!

I love all of the Small Faces stuff and i'm sad there wasn't more to come. They could have made an incredible follow up with songs like 'The Universal', 'Wide Eyed Girl On The Wall' and especially 'The Autumn Stone'. They never really cracked America but in an alternate universe they would have ruled the world with the likes of The Who and The Kinks for another decade at least. (The reunion in '78 is far too removed from the original group)

I guess that's part of the charm though, for a while Steve Marriott and Ronnie Lane could create these amazing little songs that still sound fresh today. There's a reason Paul Weller and every mod worth his salt worshipped these guys.

Voted for The Hungry Intruder and The Journey, although they sound much better in the context of the album's tracklisting.

Mark Wilson and Zoot Marimba like this.
  6. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Ouch!!! Everything rules on this LP... I do love side 2 more, though... so I am going with title track and LS...

7. YardByrd

To answer your opera/story question... I like Ogdens best... doesn't take itself seriously like the others although I do adore the Pretties LP (not Tommy, though)...

8. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I like the music, but I don’t really care for the story on side two. I think the interjections of narration throw off the trajectory of the album and don’t make it any easier to understand. Plus, from the fragments of the story I am able to pick up, I get the feeling that the story isn’t really worth understanding.

fr in sc and Hillel abramov like this.
  9. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I always loved this record from the day it came out. However, the sound quality is atrocious.

YardByrd likes this.
  10. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Both "Happy" songs.

Side 2 is great, but its clearly not in the same league as Tommy, SF, & Arthur.

11. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I agree w some above that the narration pulls me out of it :-(

Love the title track a lot!

12. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

L.S. the weakest link? NO WAY!

13. LandHorses

I love the side 2 storyline.....and how half-baked and non-serious it is. I like Stan Unwin's narration too. I figured there would be some debate on it, so I made this the 1st question.

Sure, I'd also like the option of hearing the side 2 songs without it as well.

14. popscene

popscene Senior Member

I’ll go with the title track and “The Journey” in the spirit of the game, but the truth is that are no weak links on Ogden’s. That’s a incontestable fact. :)

The side two storyline, whether it ultimately holds up or not, adds to the whimsical charm of the album. I wouldn’t change a thing.

noahjld, Mark Wilson and aphexj like this.
  15. LandHorses

Bumplode do a departy-ho sleepy

16. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

There is no weak link.

marmalade166 likes this.
  17. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Very reluctantly I went for Long Ago And Worlds Apart and The Hungry Intruder - shocked to see Happy Days Toytown in the 'lead' tho, seeing as life really is just a bowl of all-bran

YardByrd likes this.
  18. YardByrd

"...you wake up every morning and it's there." Great stuff lyrically and after their peers did the whole eastern mysticism/guru etc. trip it really punctures the whole pretensiousness of the era in a humorous and good natured way... a highlight of the LP for me

LandHorses and marmalade166 like this.
  19. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Aye, Ronnie was of course into Meher Baba and the others enjoyed the LSD experience but they had the grounded East End humour to counter any pretentiousness that might have crept into their lyrics

20. YardByrd

Yeah, Ronnie took the reincarnation thing in Stone/Evolution in a similar humorous way while dealing with a heavy subject... genius actually, balancing it as he did...

LandHorses and marmalade166 like this.
  21. LandHorses

I voted "The Journey" and "Happiness Stan."

3 1/2 hours left this round.

22. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

I hope you've succeeded by now, because I got rid of it more than ten years ago. ;)

Voted "Hungry Intruder" and "Journey", the latter is really the only one I could live without.

23. YardByrd

Stanley Unwin's narration MAKES side two! There'd be no point otherwise.

Mark Wilson and Strummergas like this.
  24. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I love this album so much that even in round 1 I'm struggling to want to eliminate anything!

If there was ever a version available without Professor Unwin, I would have no interest in it whatsoever.

Tough decision: Voting HappyDaysToyTown out.

25. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Longtime fan of this album but I prefer the first side overall. The storyline seems kind of forced and some of the songs are not great. Love the title track and "Song of a Baker" as two great lost classics of 60s psychedelic/hard rock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.