Record Store Day "RSD" April 2018 Releases*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwd, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Buffalo Springfield : Live at monterey 1967 ep?

Any info?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I got a CDN$56 retail price quote on the Bowie London LP. Higher than the Cracked Actor

USD$43-45 range for Americans depending on mark ups.

3. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

I believe a lot of the releases with stuff from 1967 and
    earlier are not official. They include stuff where the
    copyright has expired. At least outside the US. The
    labels are using the RSD hype as free promotion.

4. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

5. Crimson Witch

dee and Spadeygrove like this.
  6. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

indigo_m and Crimson Witch like this.
  7. Crimson Witch

That's a good question; I'm interested to know as well. They do not appear on Wikipedia's list of record labels. I'm not on Facebook, and nothing turned up with a Google search. This I find some what curious, as it is said the recordings feature backing by The Wrecking Crew

indigo_m likes this.
  8. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I presently have 76 items on my current list (that takes in the US and UK lists combined.)

9. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Zilch on my list this year, a lie in and more money in the pocket for other stuff for me.

10. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

A few years ago I ordered several things from England on the UK list after the day. I ended up getting everything I was after, not too bad of a price increase, using Discogs and third party Amazon sellers.

Crimson Witch and MarkO like this.
  11. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

I can recommend Bradley's Barn though.

Crimson Witch and Boognish like this.
  12. Crimson Witch

Also looking forward to the upcoming
    CD release on 6 April 2018
    Cream Winterland Concert 1968
    [​IMG]

April is always a fun month :)

texron likes this.
  13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I get the feeling that they could release a 10,000 edition of David Bowie farting for an hour and it would sell out straight away. Bowie is just now a licence to print money, and boy are they exploiting that big time, if it's these overpriced 7" picture discs that no-one plays just collects or these hugely overpriced RSD releases. I'm a huge Bowie fan but I find it distasteful. It's exploiting the fans imo.

I have no idea who wants an ABBA picture disc also, I guess they have a hardcore following who buy everything? Who is buying a TOTO 'Africa' picture disc?

RSD is just a huge profit making exercise now for the big labels, manufactured scarcity is such a dumb idea, it's best just to accept it for what it is and either ignore it or sell your soul to the capitalist greed god ;)

I don't know if it's doing any good in getting young people into shops to be honest. Some maybe. But I think there has to be a better model to really achieve that, that rewards people who visit their local shops all year round and don't just turn up a couple of times a year for RSD or Black Friday.

sortvinyl, DHamilton, jimod99 and 3 others like this.
  14. Crimson Witch

This will be released the day after tomorrow, 16 March 2018 :

Spirit, It Shall Be:
    Ode & Epic Recordings 1968-1972

Import, 5-CD box set Remastered

[​IMG]

I just checked and these are on pre-order

Imagine70, uzn007 and aoxomoxoa like this.
  15. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

When I last went to my record store, I noticed they were selling three or four copies of the "Bowpromo" from last year at the very reduced price of 30 euros (list was 90, if I remember correctly), and still not finding many takers.

16. Crimson Witch

The locals I visit are. 3 days each month 20% off on new CDs & LPs. Punch cards you get validated each time you make a purchase then when it's punched out you get a free used disc or 30% off your total purchase at redemption. The other thing I notice is the store is almost always busy - they keep so many titles in stock there is plenty to comb through whatever your taste in music may be, every genre and subgenre under the sun. The other thing is atmosphere; cool posters on display and for sale, t-shirts, always great music being played on a real hifi system. At this point I always go in the day after RSD . Since I only buy CDs its never a problem scoring the titles I want the next day, or in a week, or whatever.

LivingForever, Jim B. and troggy like this.
  17. Crimson Witch

further down the blogpost I spotted the name, then Googled it and got the contact info:

Alliance Entertainment
    1401 NW 136th Ave
    Sunrise, FL 33323
    United States of America
    Phone: 1 (800) 329-7664

They're the ones taking the dealer orders for RSD copies, so I'm guessing they will be the outfit to inquire of.

ATTENTION !!
    *edit
    : it says store orders for copies of the Gene Clark EP have to be in with Alliance by tomorrow ! (March 15th)
    Be sure to reach your local indy record
    store today if you want them to get it !!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  18. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Is it different stuff to the Rhino 2 disc set?

19. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

Is that the stated goal of RSD, to get young people into shops? If I was an indie record store I would want old farts like me, with LOTS of disposable income, buying anything - as they have a markup on everything so it matters nothing to them if you buy something achingly hip or an abba picture disc, they make a profit.

It is a well known fact that pubs and restaurants make their profits at the weekend, however much they would like to have lots of customers during the week. RSD exists to give indie shops a boost, and I would be interested to hear from indie shops how the profit from RSD sales compares with the rest of the year. I suspect RSD is extremely successful, because its not about getting young people into stores, it is about getting PEOPLE into the stores. If they get a small % of regular customers after it, then even better.

Vinyl_Blues and Crimson Witch like this.
  20. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I actually bought the Toto Africa Pic disc which is the same amount of David Bowie rsd purchases I have made.

Crimson Witch and Jim B. like this.
  21. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Forum Resident

I don't think you have grasped the essential elements for a Record Store Day release, which I would suggest are a) a record, and b) a release on a designated day.

Vinyl_Blues, Jim B., CWillman and 2 others like this.
  22. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

There's an essential element you haven't grasped yourself : CDs are "records" too. Some have even been released as RSD exclusives (as have cassettes).

23. I see it differently. CDs are NOT records. They are albums or singles. Records are made out of vinyl.

24. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Then you might want to open a dictionary. In any case, RSD is NOT "vinyl day" as CDs and cassettes have been released as RSD exclusives in the past.

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Arguing about what constitutes a record is irrelevant with respect to that Spirit release, because what matters is if this is an RSD release or not, for the purposes of this thread. So Billy Hunt is right about (b) at least; this isn't an RSD release and it's not relevant to the thread. Same thing goes for the other release that was posted.

Billy Hunt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.