Jessica Jones Season 2 March 8, 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Feb 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You can also point to the whole Bill Cosby controversy, which really took off after comedian Hannibal Buress made jokes about it in October of 2014. So this is a long-gestating problem.

2. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

More of a long gestating media awareness - anyone with close female friends will know that sexual harassment and worse is an endemic social problem and has been since time sadly

guy incognito, Solaris and davenav like this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The #MeToo movement may have gone viral recently, but it was started way back in 2007. Sometimes a catalyst is needed ignite a smoldering fire...

guy incognito and Vidiot like this.
  4. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

I binged S2 this weekend, I'd say yes, S1 is better. S2 barely even felt like a superhero show. JJ is interesting but the highlight of S2 is probably the emergence of another superhero, I wonder if Netflix is going to do that show? I havent seen anything news about it.

All of the Netflix Marvel shows are simply too long....13 episodes is too many.

Ethan B and alexpop like this.
  5. beercanchicken

Every episode was Directed and I believe, written, by a woman

Ethan B and GodShifter like this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I thought so.

I must admit I'm a bit puzzled about all the talk of sexual harassment in the storyline of S2. Where is it? Am I just too dim to pick up on it? Are we talking about the specter of it hovering over the show? I just don't get it. Which character was it inflicted on?

7. beercanchicken

Yeah, I don't know. It almost seemed to be the opposite and looked like a lot of empowered women from my (male) perspective....Unless they're still talking about the origins of JJ?

I guess one scene had overt "harassment"; the guy in the bar said "nice ass". But then she screwed him in the bathroom stall. The goalposts are changing so often; I don't even know anymore.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Maybe pass.

9. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Well, just to offer an opposing view - I’m digging it! It *is* a superhero show, with a difference that some do appreciate.

R. Cat Conrad and marmalade166 like this.
  10. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

It’s the arc in S1 that features predation.

I think this debate is misguided. S2 is a follow-up to the damage she suffered in S1. Indeed, she had already been abused at the outset - which is backstory going back to the graphic novel in the eighties. This show did not jump on a bandwagon, if that’s what some are implying. Her sexual abuse is baked into her story!

11. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

There was also the tangential storyline about Trish having sex with her 40-year old "Patsy" director back when she was 15.

Vidiot, GodShifter and Ethan B like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The other thing now happening is the Inclusion Rider, where the top actors on a film can insist that the production hire a diverse cast and crew. I think it goes without saying that each actor at various role has to be paid roughly the same as their opposite-gender counterpart. These are interesting times...

I just heard some interesting inside stories on the show, but I've been warned to keep my big mouth shut. Eyes and ears are everywhere...

guy incognito, Deesky and mikeyt like this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's one way to look at it (and I agree), but the other way to look at is that the show producers know ahead of time that they will have an order of 13 episodes, so why can't they plan a plotline that fills all the available episodes without resorting to filler, detours, blind alleys, etc? It's not like they were given an 8 ep series and then at the last minute extended it to 13.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Hey, you can't just say that and leave it dangling out there! :)

marmalade166 likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Let's just say the stars of the show look really beautiful in every episode.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Digital makeup?

17. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I knew something was suspicious when we saw Jessica rolling around in all that paint and then, when she came back to her apartment, her hair was magickally dry and purple-paint-free! Even a wizard couldn't do that!

18. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I struggled through the first season I think I'm giving up two episodes into the 2nd. Whizzer's twist on Spidey's quote "With great power comes great mental illness" brought my problems with this program into focus. Everybody in this program needs serious therapy. Even the ones without superpowers. It's a cavalcade of dysfunctional human beings. Why don't these people just move out to the 'burbs and start over?

The unnecessary boinging is the least offensive part of the whole enterprise.

19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Kilgrave tried to get Jessica to move back to the 'burbs last season. It didn't take.

Absolutely. Isn't that what makes it fun and/or interesting?
    No one gets better in season two, but Trish gets much worse. The writers are not aiming to make the characters less unhinged
    Jessica does go to at least one anger management support group meeting. It didn't take.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Not in the least.

Solaris likes this.
  21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

'Features A Cavalcade Of Dysfunctional Human Beings' pretty much describes any of my favorite TV shows, so I'm pretty much the target audience they seem to be aiming for. And the more messed up Jessica gets, the more I fall head-over-heels in love with her.

jpelg and marmalade166 like this.
  22. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I think there isn't a single female character I've seen on this show that I'd want to have a drink with. Psycho *****'s from ****.

23. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Thankfully they're fictional characters, so you wouldn't be able to have a drink with them even if you wanted to.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I'll no doubt buy a Blu R already have s1.

25. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Not saying I want to see a perky happy Jessica, but the show is sometimes ridiculously dark.

Tristero likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.