Jethro Tull - This Was and Mr. Steven Wilson *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dougb222, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Probably not until the multis for "Witch's Promise" are found.

FVDnz and Colinjpush like this.
  2. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

I would rather have reeditions of Stormwatch and A flowing as quickly as possible instead of This Was or this 50-50 stuff.
    But I guess, I still buy This Was just for the completionist side of things.
    I consider the Peter Mew's remix of This Was just fine.

FVDnz, DaveJ, Lands End Drums and 3 others like this.
  3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Me too - but I've not heard what Mr. Wilson can do with it yet. :)

Runicen likes this.
  4. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Noted. His magic touch is quite legendary.

5. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"Let's face it" could, should be replaced by "in my (humble) opinion" because that's all it is.

6. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Alright. So if there's a book-edition of This Was, odds are Benefit will follow soon enough. Sweet.

tinnox likes this.
  7. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Two words....
    Clive
    Bunker!

8. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I have no problem with Mew's mix either, but they're saying the Wilson This Was will include additional unreleased material. For me, that has always been a major selling point of these booksets.

Mark Snowden, FVDnz, Runicen and 2 others like this.
  9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

If we are talking several bonus tracks then it would be worth upgrading from the Mew set but i need another box set like a hole in the head

Six Bachelors likes this.
  10. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I reckon. It will be immensely irritating if Benefit is reissued with one extra remix or something.

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

"This Was" will be the only Tull box I don't get. I hate blues music, and was never a fan of this.

Boaz likes this.
  12. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

It's not all blues.

13. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

No, but it's definitely bluer than anything that followed. I'm not a blues fan either and there are certainly a number of tracks that I rarely play, but I'm a terminal completist and there's enough good stuff to make the album worth it for me - particularly with the inclusion of "Love Story" as a bonus track. That's one of my favorite early Tull singles. The mono mix is puncher than the stereo, which I don't expect to change with the remix; Wilson uses the existing stereo mixes as templates, so I don't think he'll deviate from that practice to make the remix feel more like the mono version.

14. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

But it is only stereo, bring on the Quad THIS WAS...

15. Krzysztof

Krzysztof Well-Known Member

Having both original and 40th anniversary mixes at hand, I've done a geeky thing: I've tried to find out what may be recorded on which of the 4 tracks This Was was recorded on. Here's the result:
    This Was mixes

Bad news is that the tracks are often bounced to one track, in case of two songs it's even drums, bass and guitar blended together (My Sunday Feeling and It's Breaking Me Up). I don't believe separate tracks exist for these, they were most probably bouncing and erasing on the same tape; but who knows?
    There are 4 songs with no bounces at all though (all the instrumentals + Someday...).

303 Squadron and Plan9 like this.
  16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Excellent work, thanks! I'll keep this for future reference. ;)

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Any update on this remix?

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

On a Tull forum it was said that it would be released in November, so it might be early for more updates.

Shvartze Shabbos and mpayan like this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thanks!

Rne likes this.
  20. Krzysztof

Krzysztof Well-Known Member

You're welcome.
    The spreadsheet is opened for comments and notes, so if anyone spots a mistake, it can be pointed out there.

By the way, while doing this I had a chance to better compare the original mix with the 40th anniversary mix, and I think the former is actually better. I believe Peter Mew hasn't been using it as a reference while doing his job, he has just been given the 4-track tape to do whatever he wanted to do with it. So his mix is dry and doesn't replicate the reverbs and panning shifts of the original - all track are fixed in the stereo span. His version has revealed a few things that have disappeared in the original mix, but it happened by chance I guess. And sometimes he did the other way around: for instance, he has put all the tracks in Cat's Squirrel in the middle, and rendered it almost in mono, while all the tracks are clearly separated in the original stereo mix, with the guitar floating from left to right and back.

back2vinyl, Plan9 and anth67 like this.
  21. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I do not like blues much either, so you might try a download comp using the first 6, something like mine here:

1. My Sunday Feeling
    2. Beggars Farm
    3. A Song for Jeffery
    4. One for John Glee
    5. Seranade to a Cuckoo
    6. Round
    7. Love Story
    8. Living in the Past
    9. Sweet Dream
    10. 17 (the long version rocks)
    11. Up the Pool
    12. Singing All Day
    13. Life is a Long Song

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    yesstiles likes this.
  22. yescool2002

yescool2002 Forum Resident

Yeah

23. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

All right guys, show of hands. How many guys who have the SW Benefit would buy it again if it came out in book edition? :D

I’ll go first. :wave:

24. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I wouldn't buy without previously unreleased tracks ~ not merely mixes. Lovely as it would look on the shelf....

Maybe there's an even longer June '70 edit called Wond'ring Agape, Aloud, Again. That would be enough for me!

Glenn can't provide any further recollections for a new edition, alas :cry:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

If it's reissued straight I wouldn't re-buy it I think. If there are some more bonus tracks and even mixes I will seriously consider it.

allbrosca, Todd W. and Kim Olesen like this.