POLL: Meryl Streep as an actor

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Moshe, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Yeah, I think she's great, but I already know I don't want to see Mama Mia or the Post or any number of other films she's in. I took a quick look at IMDB and looks like I've seen a lot fewer than I thought I had, but she was great in everything I'd seen her in - she's quite funny, too, which I always admire - not every great actor can do comedy.

Moshe likes this.
  2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I bet that tuna casserole is the bomb.

carrick doone likes this.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Streep also blows up real good

4. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Like everyone else who's been in films over a long period she has some clunkers that's she's done.

Moshe likes this.
  5. xios

xios Senior Member

I see gears turning when she's on the screen. I only ever liked her in "Death Becomes Her".

Moshe likes this.
  6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Why don't you watch a few more of her movies and make up your own mind?

7. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

if she's not great, then who is?

8. poidog

poidog Senior Member

It seems some find the fact that you can rarely see her "acting" boring.
    But that is exactly what makes her so great. Chewing up the scenery, like latter day Pacino, is so much easier.

Henryflowr and Lightworker like this.
  9. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I presume you mean currently working in Hollywood? Because the way I understand it, the dubious title usually foisted on Meryl Streep is that she is the greatest living, American actress, not the greatest actress of all time, anywhere.

Does anyone here truly believe the latter to be the case? If so, that’s a bold assertion.

Thinking back over Hollywood history, there are so many actresses that I prefer to Streep that it’s hard to know where to begin.

Off the top of my head, here are three current Hollywood actresses who I prefer to Streep, in terms of their screen presence, although I wouldn’t say any of them are quantifiably greater:

Frances McDormand
    Cate Blanchett
    Natalie Portman

And then there’s world cinema.

Here are three actresses of classical Japanese cinema who I think are at least equal to any American film actress of any period:

Kinuyo Tanaka
    Hideko Takamine
    Setsuko Hara

I have nothing against Streep, but I tend to agree with those who, earlier in this thread, espoused the opinion that she is a solid actress who has never been in a truly great film. She’s certainly been around a long time, which counts for something in Hollywood.

Moshe likes this.
  10. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

hmmm truly great, youre right not a lot of true masterpieces, id say Manhattan and maybe Kramer Vs Kramer are up there, for me anywhere. and a few are close Silkwood Adaption etc...and a lot of good to middling stuff. I think Meryl makes her rep with the sheer range, shes a master of accents, morphing into the character, etc. Oscar bait but cant deny her ability. a lot of actresses I like more but the best technically is Meryl.

Moshe and stepeanut like this.
  11. stepeanut

I agree on her rep being based on range, accents.

For me, the closest to a truly great film that she’s been in is The Deer Hunter, but, even then, she’s not playing a lead role.

I consider myself to be a fairly big fan of Woody Allen, but Manhattan is not a personal favourite. I have a problem with the central relationship at the core of the film. No need to expand on that here. Again, though, Streep is merely a supporting player.

Moshe likes this.
  12. the pope ondine

I thought of that one right after I posted, I think the first Holocaust miniseries was excellent (and she was great in that) but you have to go way back for that one, its interesting her penchant for taking the juicier roles as opposed to the great films, doing stuff like a cry in the dark (a dingo ate my baby!) when she should've had her pick of scripts back then. but I guess she knew what she was doing

Moshe likes this.
  13. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Need another option in the poll: I can act better than her

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I would consider "The Deer Hunter" to be more than just close to being a great film. I would also have a hard time arguing against "Sophie's Choice" or "Adaptation".

chacha likes this.
  15. stepeanut

We all have our own horizons.

16. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

C’mon,
    Everyone has a right to “open their pie holes” ...or as I prefer to say, in a more respectful manner, everyone has the right to express their own opinion.

(Even if I think they’re wrong, like to live in a bubble with the sound of their own voice, or sadly misguided.)

:laugh: :winkgrin: :agree: :p

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Moshe likes this.
  17. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I'm not sure why you're quoting me, I simply answered a question that was posed.

lightbulb likes this.
  18. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Yes, thank you for answering the question.

19. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

oh, ok, you are welcome. I misunderstood.

lightbulb likes this.
  20. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The Pacino approach only works when the actor is "likeable".
    Streep scores very low on that scale for many, including me.

Moshe likes this.
  21. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

While I don't agree that she has never been in a truly great film (I think Deer Hunter, Kramer vs. Kramer, Sophie's Choice, Silkwood, Out of Africa and my personal favourite Death Becomes Her are great films), I do think that in the first part of her career, Streep picked roles in excellent films (and she starred in two back-to-back winners for Best Picture with Deer Hunter and Kramer vs. Kramer).

I think the latter part of her career, she has tended to go more for the role than the weight of how good the film is. I think people remember The Devil Wears Prada more for Streep's performance than perhaps the film itself. She's just so perfect in it, she is the first thing I think about when I think of the film.

Personally speaking, she was great in The Iron Lady, but as a film, it's not very strong.

So, looking at her filmography, I think one would expect her to be in a lot more great films.

Moshe likes this.
  22. the pope ondine

I walked out of that movie with a friend and both said "another Oscar" at the same time, the movie itself was kind of boring

23. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

And that's the difference, I think, between a great actor and a great director. Streep wasn't always in great films, but she was always great in them.

Moshe and the pope ondine like this.
  24. DLD

DLD Senior Member

A great actress who I now rather avoid. Tired of her

Moshe likes this.
  25. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Only seen a couple of her movies so I didn’t want to vote because she only had a small role in those, one of those being the masterpiece Deer Hunter. What are some recommendations to really see her acting chops?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.