Two Elton John tribute albums to be released in April, Revamp & Restoration

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by crazywater, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer... Thread Starter

Not sure how I feel about this. Revamp was Elton's and Restoration was Bernie's. The tracklist and artists on the Bernie project seems more interesting to me.

Two Elton John Tribute Albums — With Mary J. Blige, Coldplay, Lady Gaga, More — Coming in April

Revamp

1. Bennie and The Jets – Elton John, P!nk, Logic
    2. We All Fall In Love Sometimes – Coldplay
    3. I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues – Alessia Cara
    4. Candle In The Wind – Ed Sheeran
    5. Tiny Dancer – Florence And The Machine
    6. Someone Saved My Life Tonight – Mumford and Sons
    7. Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word – Mary J. Blige
    8. Don’t Go Breaking My Heart – Q Tip feat. Demi Lovato
    9. Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters – The Killers
    10. Daniel – Sam Smith
    11. Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me – Miley Cyrus
    12. Your Song – Lady Gaga
    13. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road – Queens of the Stone Age

Restoration

1. Rocket Man – Little Big Town
    2. Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters – Maren Morris
    3. Sacrifice – Don Henley and Vince Gill
    4. Take Me To The Pilot – Brothers Osborne
    5. My Father’s Gun – Miranda Lambert
    6. I Want Love – Chris Stapleton
    7. Honky Cat – Lee Ann Womack
    8. Roy Rogers – Kacey Musgraves
    9. Please – Rhonda Vincent and Dolly Parton
    10. The Bitch Is Back – Miley Cyrus
    11. Sad Songs (Say So Much) – Dierks Bentley
    12. This Train Don’t Stop – Rosanne Cash and Emmylou Harris
    13. Border Song – Willie Nelson

Johnny Reb likes this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Not really interested in either, but I suppose it’s a good collection of artists. Though I shudder to think what Sam Smith will do to Daniel..

I like more of the artists on the Restoration project, though not enough to buy it.:)

3. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Why is Mary's 14 year old cover of SSTBTHW from Bridget Jones on here? Seems a waste. Also, Q-Tip & Demi Lovato are now my front runner for most random collaboration of 2018. I'll pick this up but it doesn't seem likely to surpass "Two Rooms" for me....

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Wot...no Dave Grohl?? :laugh:

longdist01, Daryl M and savemenow like this.
  5. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

Yawn fest....unfortunately.

6. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

again? wasn't this done like 25 years ago?

7. crazywater

8. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

This doesn’t excite me in the least.

Spadeygrove, audiomixer and fredblue like this.
  9. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

who would you say these are aimed at?

a casual fan?
    seems unlikely, imho., they'd go for a Greatest Hits compilation like the Diamonds 1 or 2 CD set maybe.

a non fan?
    maybe if that person is into one of the contributing acts and happen to buy either one of the releases to hear, say, an Ed Sheeran cover of an EJ tune and from there then start to explore EJ's catalogue.

all i know is, fellow Elton fans i chat to don't want this kind of stuff.. for years and years they have been clamouring for old live audio & video, unreleased tracks & b-sides, etc.. compilation albums of cover versions by current artistes don't ever crop up in conversation as to what my Elton-loving friends wish they could buy.. and i agree. these to me as a lifelong fan, are redundant. oh well.. maybe someday!

Christopher B, Flappo and snowman872 like this.
  10. joeortonjr

joeortonjr Forum Resident

Elton must have absolute unreleased gold in his archives, and this is what we get? Pointless.

ego1jr, mrjinks and fredblue like this.
  11. crazywater

Personally I want the rest of the surround mixes that Greg Penny did that have been sitting around gathering dust for over 10 years. That I would shell out my hard earned cash for.

12. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

No Father John Misty? Too on-the-nose?

smilin ed likes this.
  13. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

The only thing I'm interested in here is Roy Rogers by Kacey Musgraves. Other than that, no sale. Also, I cannot separate the last two songs on Captain Fantastic - I always regarded them as one epic track comprising two parts - so Coldplay doing We All Fall In Love Sometimes without Curtains feels like they've hacked off a limb.

fredblue and mrjinks like this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Forget this and let's have a comprehensive Elton rarities CD/DVD/Blu-Ray box set, please!

15. fredblue

you and me both! have mercy, its criminal! :winkgrin:

(seriously, its a pita we get this kind of stuff and yet Elton's Classic albums are treated almost as afterthoughts, if they get any TLC at all.. it baffles me that UMe can't find the wherewithal to put out sets with the 5.1's and bonus tracks of albums the likes of Don't Shoot Me, Caribou, Westies.. we're talking huge at the time Number 1 albums, not also-ran's.

snowman872 likes this.
  16. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

No Sheryl Crow?

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

She was probably too busy attending someone else's tribute concert to work on this.

18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

People who are fans of the artists doing the covers? I guess it's exposure for them as much as exposure for Elton's back catalog to younger people.

This is a pretty iffy list. I like the Killers, but I kind of already know what their cover of "Mona Lisas" is going to sound like...for such a bombastic band, I wish they'd picked something more...bombastic. Florence is amazing as well, but "Tiny Dancer" is just overplayed...i'll give it a listen, but I'm pretty over that song in general.

snowman872 likes this.
  19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Bingo.

I'm personally excited for Demi Lovato's cover (which she duetted with Sir Elton a few years ago) and for not one but TWO Miley covers.

Also, the fact that the Restoration album is mainly country artists, well, quite a clever name there.

20. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

This has convinced me that there aren't actually any real Elton John fans, all his sales figures are straight-up lies, and his entire existence is a music business experiment in convincing folks that his catalogue is more than just a bunch of garbage tunes to be pimped out as a contractual obligation covers when someone at the label needs a new swimming pool. Well no more. I see through them.

I'm ashamed to be a fan of Queens Of The Stone Age for participating in this dreck.

Osato and Former member 30842 like this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Wow, way to toss aside a 40+ year career in music just because a record company decides to release a couple of lame cover albums...

Suncola and Topaz like this.
  22. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

if its as good as their performance here then I am in !

23. fredblue

you can't please all of the people all of the time, I get that.. the trouble is most of EJ's output pleases less and less old fans I know year on year.. many longtime Elton fans I chat to find much of his newly released 'product' underwhelming and only buy the latest record or compilation almost out of a sense of duty.. if I had a penny for everytime an EJ fan friend said; "I'll buy it (meaning the new album or comp) but I'll probably never play it", I could get a swimming pool..well, a paddling pool at least!

snowman872 likes this.
  24. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I can't believe there is anybody in the world waiting for this album.
    Absolutely pointless.

Christopher B and EddieT like this.
  25. crazywater

I'd prefer to actually hear the tracks before proclaiming it dreck.

There are two tracks up on Spotify, Don't Go Breaking My Heart by Q-Tip/Demi Lovato and I Want Love by Chris Stapleton.

DGBMH is unlistenable but Stapleton's I Want Love is quite good, probably because it doesn't stray too far from the original.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.