Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Looking at the All-Time list, it appears that BP will end up with the 3rd highest gross of any Marvel movie. I don't think it has enough legs to catch the two Avengers movies. Ultron finished at $1.405 Billion - BP currently sits at $1.094.

sunspot42 likes this.
  2. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

Another movie about a Black superhero that so far wasn't mentioned is "Spawn"

[​IMG]

Ghostworld and alexpop like this.
  3. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  4. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  5. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Going to see ANNIHILATION, which has been screened once a night in a single theater at my cineplex, exiting tomorrow. Is this a big bomb? I want to see it either way, but it looks expensive and seems to have almost no buzz.

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Low budget and garbage (and I read the comics). I think we can ignore the Spawn movie as irrelevant to the conversation.

Malina likes this.
  7. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

Well gee whiz, forgive me your majesty. :rolleyes:

Thank you for being so polite and professional.

alexpop, MichaelXX2 and Pete Puma like this.
  8. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

This is a lot of money for 1997: Plus, at that time very few movies had a Black actor as the star.

IMDB
    Box Office
    Budget:
    $40,000,000 (estimated)
    Opening Weekend USA:
    $21,210,131, 3 August 1997, Wide Release
    Gross USA:
    $54,967,359, 30 November 1997
    Cumulative Worldwide Gross:
    $87,949,859

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It flopped pretty hard: US gross of $27 million with $40m budget.

And no worldwide gross since it went straight to Netflix outside of US, IIRC!

10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I don't think you can call it a flop in the context of how it was released without any further information. A budget is to be made back on global box office not just US. If Netflix buy something like this then when is that a flop or not? Depending on how much Netflix paid 9quite a bit I've heard, but nothing concrete) it could well make a profit.

11. Oatsdad

By that token, you can't call anything a "flop". You can say "sure, it didn't make money at the box office, but maybe it got enough from video sales to be profitable!"

The data we have shows it did poorly at the box office in the one territory it ran. The studio had so little confidence in its potential ticket sales that it didn't bother to run it theatrically elsewhere.

So I feel pretty comfortable saying it's a flop given the data at hand!

Stormrider77 likes this.
  12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

You are too harsh!

13. Oatsdad

How so? Despite the presence of a major movie star in the lead, the movie sputtered at the box office - that's the definition of a flop.

Sure, there've been much worse flops - the relatively low budget limits the bleeding - but it's clear the movie did poorly.

Studios don't dump movies to Netflix or straight to video unless they think they've got a dog on their hands...

sunspot42 and pblmow like this.
  14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That's wrong sorry. There is a difference between a 'dog' as you say and a good/great film that doesn't do well at the box office, like Blade Runner 2049. No way is that a dog.

The reason the studio sold it to Netflix is they fell out with the producer and director over changes they wanted done, as they thought the film was 'difficult', and so didn't get behind it.

Still, with global box office and the sizeable sum they got from Netflix the film could still make a profit.

Old Mac likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

When a film like Harry Potter 5 cost $200 million, made $800 million, but "didn't make a profit," then I would say it's unlikely that Annihilation will make a profit. It's possible it won't lose too much money. The "hits and bombs" thing of this thread goes beyond "good and bad." Plenty of good films bomb, and quite a few awful films make a ton of money.

The Grim Box Office Fate Of 'Annihilation' Was An Inevitable Tragedy

eddiel and sunspot42 like this.
  16. Oatsdad

It's a dog in terms of box office - that's what that meant. The studio figured it'd be a financial dud and dumped it internationally...

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Everyone knows about 'Hollywood Accounting'. That film made profit for sure.

Dudley Morris and budwhite like this.
  18. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Someone said profit eh!?

[​IMG]

sunspot42 likes this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's a dirty word according to the revised rules of acquisition, by decree of Grand Nagus Zek!

sunspot42 likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I look at it this way: it made money for the studio, but did not make a profit as defined by the contracts.

That's exactly what I heard as well. The marketing department (advertising & publicity) figures out very quickly when they can't sell a movie, and that's at the point where the studio has to decide whether they shut it down, sell it to another studio (turnaround), or just go straight to home video. Nowadays, selling it to Netflix gives them another alternative.

Oatsdad likes this.
  21. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Wrinkle in time bombed if somebody didn't mention..?
    One thing I don't get with Disney with most there own live action movies they tend to flop.
    like John Carter.. and now Wrinkle In Time they have same press and marketing dept's
    I'm sure. But when comes to Marvel it's free for all when it's comes to profit.
    Yes the Jungle Book Did well..

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Beauty and the Beast was massive.

Marvel do well because of Kevin Fiege.

23. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Well, they've turned the movie theater into an amusement park. And everybody wants to ride Space Mountain, not the spinning teacups. This business model isn't sustainable, and won't be sustained.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Nice poster. Good copy. Last time one of these came out, I wrote the poster copy. So much copy, so little chosen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pblmow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.