Dune to be directed by Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

You can't fit Dune into 3 hours.

Solaris and LEONPROFF like this.
  2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

More likely the producers didn't want a crazy 88 year-old who has never worked wih a big budget near their film. ;)

Dudley Morris and FVDnz like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sicario 2 getting made.

4. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Why not? If you're adapting the novel verbatim, then no... but that's not what they're going to do, and neither should they.

Zack Snyder successfully adapted the supposedly "unfilmable" Watchmen... and did it in 162 minutes, to boot!!!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

While I'm certainly looking forward to this, I can't help but think that the Dune series would be best served as a TV show or miniseries with multiple seasons.

6. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Yup.

7. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Which is why I'm keeping my fingers crossed for two 2.5+ hour films. Dune Messiah can easily be one film - Children of Dune on the other hand?! Possibly one movie too as I think two films adapted from that book could be stretching it?

8. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I had no idea a sequel is getting made. No Denis directing though not to mention no Emily Blunt either. Should still be good though with Taylor Sheridan returning to write the screenplay. Soldado, huh? Loved Sicario, so here's hoping this will be just as good.

9. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

agentalbert and Jim B. like this.
  10. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Even though I love David Lynch's version, I'm happy for someone else to have a go - it's been long enough. Denis's track record speaks for itself as far as I'm concerned.

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think Denis is the best director working today. Prisoners and Sicario were great and then Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 are two of the best sci-fi films ever made, imo.

Anyway, fantastic news. I know he can do the source material justice and make it work over two films. However, given the relative box office 'failure' of BR I'm surprised the studio are putting as much money into this as they obviously are as like BR it's a 'cult' property that may confuse the 'norms'.

Macman and FVDnz like this.
  12. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Dune is a different animal than Blade Runner, I suppose. Seems like Legendary wants to get this film right and also, Brian Herbert tweeted recently that he's checked out two drafts of the screenplay and they're (along with Kevin J. Anderson) liking what they reading thus far. And a further tweet from Brian congratulating Roger Deakins for winning his long deserved Oscar, hinted that Deakins could be handling camera duties?! It's a no brainer really. :)

13. Does anyone know if the relative commercial failure of Blade Runner 2049 has put an end to the plans for Dune?

14. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Not sure what the two have to do with each other. If it's the case that well over $350 million was needed in order for BR 2049 to break-even, then the money guys were forgetting that the Marvel/DC mob wouldn't be showing up. The should have anticipated something closer to Arrival revenue.

Dune would presumably have a similar break-even. I'd expect it to earn more than BR 2049. It's not a sequel, for one thing. And I'm just guessing here, but Dune has got to be one of the most read sci-fi novels worldwide of all-time.

FVDnz and Pete Puma like this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

most recent news on the project

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune Could Be Two Films

There are many possible reasons why Blade Runner 2049 didn’t fly at the box office in the way that all involved might have hoped, and one of those could be that intimidating near-three hour runtime. But that doesn’t seem to have bothered its director Denis Villeneuve — the filmmaker has offered a tidbit about his next project, the long-awaited re-adaptation of Dune, and it looks to be another lengthy sci-fi epic.

At Montreal film festival Rendez-Vous du Cinéma Québécois, Villeneuve spoke briefly about taking on Frank Herbert’s sci-fi novel, saying: “Dune will probably take two years to make. The goal is to make two films, maybe more.”

Yes, we could likely be getting more than just the one Dune film from Villeneuve — though it’s unclear whether his version will adapt the first book only, or Herbert’s entire saga. The story is famously dense and difficult to adapt — David Lynch disowned his 1984 version starring Kyle MacLachlan and Sting, while the likes of Ridley Scott and Alejandro Jodorowsky (whose proposed take was chronicled in documentary Jodorowsky's Dune) failed in their attempts to bring it to the screen. Interestingly Scott, who Villeneuve worked with closely on Blade Runner 2049, also planned to split the novel in two for his adaptation.

It’s early days on the project for now, but it’s interesting to see that Villeneuve won’t be letting the lukewarm commercial reception to Blade Runner 2049 cool off his penchant for complex and lengthy adult sci-fi.

Deesky, FVDnz, Plan9 and 1 other person like this.
  16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The right thing to do is refine 3 screenplays which cover the original novel. Much will be riding on that first film, so no pressure Denis, but it's got to be a sci-fi masterpiece. I'd have to read the book again to put forward some ideas about what each film should cover, but the first film should develop the main characters. Interweave some of the past and a little of the future. End it very shortly after Paul and Lady Jessica arrive on the desert planet.

I didn't realize how long BR 2049 was. My screening room has become somewhat special (not the aesthetics of the room itself!) when the lights go down, so movies sometimes zip right by. No way I'd sign up for 3 hours in a commercial theater and I wouldn't sign up anyone from the short attention span generations.

Ghostworld and FVDnz like this.
  17. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

It amazes me how many people around me are absolutely oblivious to the fact that Dune even exists. There will need to be some epic action sequences involving the likes of the Fremen and Sardaukar that will need to keep the general audience entertained. And I look forward to seeing how Denis handles the Weirding Way too.

On YouTube right now, this channel called IdeasofIceandFire has been covering some in-depth Dune content which should help people understand the lore of the Dune-iverse. :)

Also, when the Bluray/DVD eventually comes out, I'd love to see some tribute to Frank Herbert covered in great detail much like how J.R.R. Tolkien was covered in the LOTR Extended Editions.

enro99 and Plan9 like this.
  18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That still makes it an obscure property in cinema terms and a very difficult sell to the general public. Appealing to just Dune fans will not cover the budget at the box office. So I think they really have to use the books as a loose basis for the films and make something that works at the cinema rather than attempt to adapt the books too closely.

Complex sci-fi/fantasy is a difficult sell. Blade Runner 2049 was a masterpiece but the general movie goers were not interested. And then look at other recent adaptations of wee respected source material - Ender's Game did dreadful and Valarian even worse.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Valerian was not good, but the visuals were interesting enough to overcome the lead actor. I'd say Valerian was fine, and the opening sequence was very very good.

I'm not sure Dune will ever work on the screen because a lot of the book is in inner monologues and inner thoughts.

Why can't someone tackle Snow Crash before every single thing in the masterpiece of a book has been done in another movie (we're getting close.)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I'm in the camp that thinks Dune will not work on the big screen. Lynch tried to do this in one film and it came off as silly, the first half hour was great - and then all down hill from there. I remember laughing in the theater it was so corny.

It could be done the same way LOTR was done, a few long movies, but I really doubt that there is a sufficient audience to make this work.

This should be handled like Game of Thrones.

Pete Puma likes this.
  21. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Didn't they already try a TV series (maybe it was a mini-series) that failed as well? I'd love for this to get the LOtR treatment, but fear you're correct- too much money for too small of a potential audience. But if they did like PJ and shot all three at once... Movie execs have certainly taken bigger (and less wise) risks.

John Moschella likes this.
  22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

There indeed was a mini-series in 2000 which was quite appreciated at the time because it was a closer adaptation of the book(s) than the 1984 movie, but it stills glosses over a lot of things. I liked it then, but it aged badly. The sets and special effects in particular (early CGI)...
    They released it in Blu-Ray by going back to the 35mm film for the FX-less scenes but all the special effects, completed only in Standard Definition at the time, are inserted alongside the Hi-Def scans and the look is jarring. Takes you right out of the story.

JimW and FVDnz like this.
  23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Before the LOTR movies were hits that must have been a similar gamble, as although it was a famous book most movie goers were unfamiliar with it. There was that great cartoon from the late 70's that never got finished as they ran out of money. LOTR I assume gathered a whole 'new' following with those movies that had never read the books, it's how you market and sell it and the quality of the film.

marmalade166 likes this.
  24. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I watched these recently - and I couldn't agree more with the dated CGI. Heck, even the desert studio sets were cheap, lol. And the Baron was STILL flying!! I really look forward to seeing the suspensors supporting Harkonnen's weight actually done right for a change.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Plan9 likes this.
  25. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

By "quite appreciated," do you mean well-received or garnered a good audience (or both)? I only heard about it after the fact, so I never saw it, but thought I remembered it didn't get many viewers and so wasn't considered a success, but my memory aint what it used to be...