Depeche Mode - Rate and Discuss Your Favorite Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 6, 2016.

1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Enjoy the show! Friday nights gig was fantastic.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

my wife and I went, too. traffic was bloody miserable on the ride up from here (took us over 3 hours to drive 70 miles) but was our first trip to the Mohegan Sun so was nice to see a new venue. what did you think of the show/setlist? I'm very tepid on Spirit, and I especially felt those songs to be the most lackluster components of the set. although I was somewhat into Delta Machine, I feel they've been on a pretty steep decline since the release of Playing the Angel, and was interesting to note that nothing from the former has yet been played on this tour.

JeffMo likes this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Where did you travel from? We came down early from Boston and traffic was far better than I expected. In fact we had time to kill and headed over to Mystic for pizza and walking around.

I thought the set list started strong and ended even better. The low point for me was Poison Heart/ Revolution but we both noticed a change during Mart solo songs. Most people around us seemed to be casual fans from SOFAD and earlier.

I actually prefer Spirit to DeMa but agre e with you about PTA being best of later era. We enjoyed seeing the band in such a relatively small venue and it was great when Dave came so near us on the catwalk.

4. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

We live in NYC, and both cut out of work early to head to Connecticut at maybe 3:30. Didn't get to our hotel (about 3 minutes from the Mohegan Sun) until 7:40. Not accidents or anything, just small, over-congested roads. Having driven to and through that part of Connecticut on Labor Day before, this was far and away the worst traffic I could remember. By contrast, the drive back yesterday took about 100 minutes.

Back to DM, having seen them a whole bunch of times, but most of the times post-Ultra, I felt this was pretty easily the weakest set top to bottom, and mostly because 4 of the first 5 songs are somewhat curious inclusions that early in a setlist. and frankly, I don't ever need to hear anything other than "Wrong" from SOTU. which isn't to say the show wasn't great, because it was, but I'd love a bit more from the setlists than just a smattering of new songs mixed in with the same old greatest hits. Much of their fan base is old enough, and the back catalog is certainly diverse enough, that jettisoning some of the Anton Corbijn showcase in favor of more off the beaten path material would be a welcome change (to many of us).

All that being said, when you want to play nothing by arenas and charge $40 for a t-shirt, I also fully understand why you want to paint with as broad a brush as possible. There were plenty of people around us, 40+ by age, who seemed to really only know the more recent stuff, and responded with less enthusiasm when older material was featured - especially the Martin solo stuff where large swaths of the crowd could be heard having conversations.

JeffMo likes this.
  5. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

So these are the results of the Slicing Up Eyeballs' reader's poll (Top 25 out of 209)
    25. Somebody
    24. It’s No Good
    23. I Feel You
    22. But Not Tonight
    21. A Question Of Lust
    20. In Your Room
    19. Fly On The Windscreen
    18. Just Can’t Get Enough
    17. A Question Of Time
    16. People Are People
    15. Halo
    14. Master And Servant
    13. Walking In My Shoes
    12. Blasphemous Rumours
    11. Policy Of Truth
    10. Personal Jesus
    9. Behind The Wheel
    8. World In My Eyes
    7. Stripped
    6. Shake The Disease
    5. Black Celebration
    4. Strangelove
    3. Everything Counts
    2. Never Let Me Down Again
    1. Enjoy The Silence

Full ranking

pwhytey, Pop_Zeus, paradox55 and 4 others like this.
  6. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

I don't know why I'm so SHOCKED that the title track of Black Celebration is top 5.

7. debased

debased Senior Member

It's an anthem.

jamesc likes this.
  8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Eyeball had a pretty good turnout for the voting, good to see his blog getting some traffic :)

Pop_Zeus, blaken123 and paradox55 like this.
  9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

New single "Cover Me" dropped today, and Cory there is a cd single format!

Front 242 Addict, jamesc and c-eling like this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

What makes you think Cory likes singles?

;) :laugh:

Front 242 Addict and JeffMo like this.
  11. c-eling

12. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Didn´t know where to put this question but here goes:

Did DM cancel any of their shows when touring Songs of Faith and Devotion?

13. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I don't think so, however it was during the final leg of the tour that Fletch, overcome by the strenuous challenges of his live performances, decided to leave the tour and was replaced by Daryl Bamonte (brother of the then-Cure guitarist Perry Bamonte.)

Binni likes this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Very cool photo making the rounds of DM sites today of Mexico City show the other night with 65,000 fans!

15. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Very difficult as their whole catalogue (except for Spirit, which is luckily not mentioned here) is brilliant.

I go for:

Black Celebration
    Music For The Masses
    Songs Of Faith And Devotion

My next 3 best DM albums would be:

Some Great Reward
    Violator
    Ultra and maybe Construction Time Again (close call but I can't stand 'Shame' on CTA)

George P and blaken123 like this.
  16. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Click and scroll down to " Pages in category "Cancelled concerts" ".

Binni likes this.
  17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

My brother is visiting and I asked him:

Violator, BC and CTA

jamesc likes this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Not sure why I missed this post back in the day, but saw it now and wanted to say thanks!

Also, wanted to share this with you guys:

[​IMG]

Luca, scobb, mark winstanley and 3 others like this.
  19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

some great reward
    violator
    songs of faith and devotion
    i think these albums cover their variety over the first decade.
    when i was a pup i liked the single just can't get enough, great pop song (but i was never a big pop guy) when songs of faith and devotion came out i thought it was a really good album and it surprised me. it caused me to investigate the band more. so these are my favourites.

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That is funny George!

George P likes this.
  21. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Now they’ll be able to enjoy the silence.

JeffMo likes this.
  22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

BC had 32 year anniversary so that will be pulled off the shelf today!

Pop_Zeus, jamesc and c-eling like this.
  23. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

seems me and two other people love exciter....i think it's an overlooked DM album...way better than the last few and sounds more relevant than those too

JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  24. c-eling

I enjoy a couple off it, but I don't visit it very often. Goodnight Lovers could of very easily been a Erasure track. Great song.

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I appreciate it far more now after the Hillier trilogy than I did back then. Mark Bell produced some nice electronic soundscapes on there and it sounds great on headphones.