OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I can’t get gapless to work over a network on the Oppo. I think a number of devices struggle with this. USB sticks work fine as long as they are formatted FAT32, NTFS or ExFAT. As others say, you have to select gapless every time using the remote. It could be more elegant, for sure. Hard drives work well, but people need to bear in mind that USB powered drives may not work if they draw excessive power from the USB port. I have a portable Western Digital 1TB drive attached to my Oppo which is USB powered and works fine, but if I attach it to the USB port of my amplifier doesn’t work at all, whereas if I use a full size external USB drive with its own PSU, if works on both devices. My external drives are all far too noisy, so the portable one is fine on the Oppo.

soundQman and tmtomh like this.
  2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

MAN I wish they would improve the app - and/or provide us with a better WiFi stick. Going nuts with the frequent freeze. It's cold enough here in CT without it.

3. HiFi Guy 008

No posts since January. Is this thread dead? Or am I being avoided?

I'm trying to play music while viewing pictures. The manual says this:

"You can also add background music to the photo slideshow. To do so, you will need to prepare digital music
    files. The music files can be stored on the same disk as the photos, or on a different USB drive. Start music
    playback first by selecting Music from the Home Menu. Once the music is playing, press the HOME button to
    get back to the Home Menu, and start the photo slideshow by selecting Photo in the usual manner."

Well, once the music is playing from a cd, I select Home, and the music stops.
    I want to play a slideshow from the computer via WiFi.
    What's the deal? Does the music or pictures have to be from a USB stick?

4. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

My understanding has been you have to do it from a USB stick, and that is how I have always done it. When I had two Oppos my preferred way was to play the photos on one video input (using the shuffle feature is fun for this), and do the music from CDs, or whatever, on the other Oppo from another audio input. The great thing about this stuff on Oppos is the slideshow program (interface and operation) is outstanding with Oppo. Compare it with a few others and one would see what I mean.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  5. HiFi Guy 008

So, let me get this straight. I can play a cd with pictures as long as the pics are from a USB stick?

I'm now playing ELO - Time excellent needle drop from a USB stick. Then selected Pictures from Home and it's working. So there's no way to do this while playing a cd?

6. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Correct. It's right there in the manual:

HiFi Guy 008 and Simon A like this.
  7. HiFi Guy 008

Thank you.

8. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

Is there any way to change the background pictures on the system, for example when you play any music there is an image of a turntable?

9. HiFi Guy 008

Yes there is, but you'd have to hack the software. And I don't recommend that. You've gotta get used to that Technics Direct Drive turntable and Audio-Technica cartridge (with the model number cloned out via Photoshop)! The clumsily cloned out model number of that cart is the only thing that bugs me.

10. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

I will try to forget that info about the model number so it doesn't bug me too :)

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I use the Pure Audio function so I'm not seeing the background. I have a plasma display and feel using the Pure Audio helps avoid burn in and possibly extends the life of the display.

12. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

I don't listen for extended periods so use my LCD tv for the Oppo GUI. I don't mind turntable image, I am just surprised there arent any new skins or mods to change the look and feel of the GUI.

13. JediJoker

I learned something new about the 10X series today (at least the D models):

It will realtime encode PCM surround to DTS for playback over coaxial (and probably optical) outputs.

This is at least true for:
    • Multichannel WAV/FLAC files played from local USB storage (likely also over network)
    • Multichannel LPCM from Blu-ray
    It is not true for:
    • Multichannel MLP from DVD-A (coaxial outputs stereo, possibly from stereo track or a folddown)
    • Multichannel DSD from SACD (even with PCM transcoding enabled for bass management over analog outs)
    This is my experience with my system. YMMV.

Sevoflurane and tmtomh like this.
  14. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Ain't that base level lossy DTS or is it something else?

tmtomh and JediJoker like this.
  15. JediJoker

I don't think my receiver decodes anything above Core, so I couldn't tell you if the transcode is to anything above that. It's certainly lossy, since it's over coaxial.

tmtomh likes this.
  16. HiFi Guy 008

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Only recently, after ripping cd's with a cue sheet, when I load the cue sheet in the Oppo app (or using the Oppo menu on the tv) playback cuts off the first few seconds of each track, and sometimes doesn't progress to the next track, instead returning me to the main menu, and sometimes locking up completely. I have to manually start again, without the cue sheet, to get the tracks to progress. And even then, the first few seconds of tracks are cut off.

A couple of cd's refused to rip the last couple of tracks - so that issue may be due to my 7 year old dvd drive.
    But the cue sheet issue and missing music issue - is that due to the older dvd drive as well?

When ripping The Talking Head's Speaking In Tongues, it insists on putting track 5 in a separate rip folder, with it's own cue sheet!

I'm using the latest XLD on Mac OS El Capitan. With XLD Secure Rip setting.
    If I remember correctly, Burst and Paranoia modes offer no improvement.
    Or am I misremembering?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  17. JediJoker

I think I spotted your issue. (Only half-joking... El Cap was perhaps the buggiest release of OS X in recent memory.)

RoyalScam likes this.
  18. HiFi Guy 008

I have read of others having this problem in the past. Also, the “ * “ button no longer brings up options. Do I’m thinking this may be fn Oppo software issue. I’ve had several power outages that may have affected it.

These problems popped up some time ago but have been increasing in frequency.

19. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

I just bought a used 105 and was wondering about a thing that happens when I turn it on, it makes a relay click when it turns on. Is that normal?
    I don't hear it on my 103.

tmtomh likes this.
  20. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Anyone heard whether a firmware upgrade might happen for the 105 to enable MQA disc compatibility?

21. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, normal. The power-on relay click on my 105 is fairly loud, and has been that way since I first got it. I don't know why the 103 doesn't make that sound, although if I had to guess I would say the 105 has a more robust power supply and so it probably needs a bigger, and therefore more audible, relay switch.

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yup normal. It's on mine too, since I first opened it. It is rather noticeable loudness wise.

tmtomh likes this.
  23. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Thanks for the replies!

eddiel and tmtomh like this.
  24. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Probably not. They’re pretty much concentrating on the 20x players while they’re closing down shop. There’s at least one FW upgrade coming for them with an open ended promise for some in the future. They’re also letting go of a lot of staff in the next few weeks.

tmtomh likes this.
  25. HiFi Guy 008

Ok, so now I've ripped cd's with XLD using Burst Mode, XLD Secure, Paranoia, as one big flac and as separate flacs.
    No matter the method, the cue sheet seems to be the problem.
    The first second of each track is cut off - when using the cue sheet in the Oppo.

Is this a problem with my older (mid 2010) Mac Superdrive?
    How do I fix this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.