New Frank Sinatra 3-CD Set of Live Recordings: "Standing Room Only" - May 2018 Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulmock, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson Witch and Bob F like this.
  2. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Although I'm really happy that they release anything at all, I still have to ask myself what do we need a third Sands show for? Rather had the remaining unreleased Basie numbers like "Wee small hours", "Too marvelous for words" etc.

Also the Dallas concert is something that was there before. But don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just my five cents.

3. teag

teag Forum Resident

I agree with you. The Vegas set released a few years back (10 or so) is great. Then we had World on a String which was nice also. Maybe the well is running dry.

CBackley, roda12 and Crimson Witch like this.
  4. doug1956

doug1956 Forum Resident

Pre-ordered from Amazon.ca for CDN $39.61. Not a bad price for three CDs.

I have been looking for the 4-CD set "Sinatra Vegas" and I can't find a new copy
    for less than $73 CDN (Amazon.ca is $89 CDN).

Crimson Witch likes this.
  5. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

It's the Billy May arrangement we will get. Nelson Riddle had prepared a wonderful 'Joanna' arrangement for the planned LP 'Here's To The Ladies'. As far as I remember, Sinatra only used Riddle's arrangement during an engagement at the Radio City Music Hall on 23 January 1983.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  6. FranklyCanadian

FranklyCanadian Forum Resident

This is a bit disappointing to be honest -- the tie clip offers a fine (complete) performance from the Sands (which all the diehards had already bought/tracked down), but another Main Event era concert from '74 and one from the 80s feels like more (uninspired) retread. We know there are full concerts from '64 with Basie and Q at the Sands along with at least one or two professionally recorded linetaps from the '65 summer tour -- which include all those great unrecorded/unheard charts from Q/Billy Byers/Chico O'Farrill. Surely they could've transferred one of those over and made this set a must-have for collectors and the general public. Even tapping into some 50s/60s performances sans Basie would have been an interesting departure -- and showing Frank at the height of his powers on the nightclub circuit (vs. the rustier Sinatra with a more questionable setlist from '74). A bit of a missed opportunity!

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It’s waiting for us now, Paul:
    Frank Sinatra - Standing Room Only - Amazon.com Music

Edit: The page is up, but at the time of this post, it’s “Currently Unavailable”; you can signup for an email alert.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    paulmock and Crimson Witch like this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Both the UK and Canadian Amazon sites show there's an lp version. But when you click on that option it takes you to Roger Daltry's recent solo lp. lol

9. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Just waiting if there will be a HD Version of this...

10. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Perfectly right!

11. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

The box set looks like the packaging of the „World on a String“ release. I wasn‘t very happy with the cheap looking box so this time I‘ll just get the download version.

12. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

This is wonderful news! Can’t wait!

roda12 likes this.
  13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you, sir! Signed up. Isn't it interesting that the box set is available for pre-order on the Sinatra site. Small potatoes, of course but just sayin'.

14. paulmock

Whatever happened to him?

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Someone dropped the ball at Amazon. It was supposed to go on sale worldwide yesterday, and it CAN be pre-ordered from the UK and Canada. As someone mentioned above, there are other problems with some of the global detail pages. (Try clicking on the MP3 link at Amazon.com, or the vinyl link at Amazon UK. :rolleyes:) Not the first time for such mistakes. Lots of time before May for the listings to be corrected.

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I assume Bernhard (@bdvogel) is still active on the German-language websites. We haven’t communicated for a number of years, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he lost his enthusiasm for sharing his immense Sinatra expertise in English.

CBackley and paulmock like this.
  17. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, I love the sound on that disc from the Vegas box set disc and it is good to know Mr. Walsh is involved with the remixing on this new set. Do we know anything about Seth Foster as am not familiar with his remastering work?

I pretty much love the sound on that whole box set, but I thought I read somewhere that the April 1987 show was a soundboard recording which just floored me as I thought the sound was a rather pristine effort for a late vintage Frank Sinatra recording. It sounds very warm and rich to my ears. Do you know what that person was talking about as I am very familiar with Elvis's soundboard recordings which of course were in mono, but they are not anything as warm and vibrant as the sonics on that Golden Nugget live disc from 1987?

18. paulmock

Got an email at 10:31AM today that it was available to pre-order. did it for release day delivery!!!!

CBackley and RSteven like this.
  19. Dodgytc

Dodgytc Forum Resident

What is the "tie clip version" you guys are talking about?

CBackley likes this.
  20. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I do wish the decision makers would concentrate on the really rare and historic concerts from the earlier days. There is no question the decision makers have their priorities reversed. Since they own the tapes they can listen to them anytime they want; the rest of us are waiting to hear what they hear routinely. That having been said, the more live concerts released, the better. It's all good. From all eras of Sinatra's career, all concerts CDs are welcome. I'm enthused about this set and I would welcome ten more just like it.

CBackley, Beaneydave, roda12 and 2 others like this.
  21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Well, I for one am just thrilled about the Standing Room Only release and no I cannot get enough of Sinatra at the Sands. I would be thrilled to have as many shows as possible and I also love later day Sinatra. I can hardly wait to hear that Dallas Reunion show in its entirety. I was wondering though if Mr. Bob F or Matt might know the answer to my question about the Vegas Box set and the sourcing of that Golden Nugget show in 1987. I thought the sound was splendid, but I also thought I read somewhere on one of these threads that it was a soundboard recording which I find very hard to believe.

23. FranklyCanadian

FranklyCanadian Forum Resident

Well I'm hoping that they'll take the time to properly master/re-master the tie-clip Sands performance. The version on the tie-clip was horribly quiet with a flatter dynamic range than the Vegas Box Set performance released in '06. If Walsh is looking after this, I trust it'll be vastly improved but the Mp3 tie-clip seemed like it missed the mastering phase altogether for relative loudness (not that I'm for brick-walling any of these transfers!) I still think digital-only releases for the rarer/more niche concerts should be the way for FSE to go -- it takes the pressure off producing/moving the physical media and faster turnarounds. Capitol did this approach with the majority of their remaining Bobby Darin material and while it'd be great to have it on vinyl/CD -- having those previously unheard tracks available at all was a welcome surprise!

CBackley, MarkusGermany and roda12 like this.
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The ’66 Sands shows were professionally recorded to 4-track by a team led by Warner/Reprise engineer Lowell Frank. The ’87 Golden Nugget show was reportedly a soundboard line tap which was unintended for commercial release. That’s all I know.

BTW, an earlier Golden Nugget concert (December ’86) was released on an oft-overlooked Capitol CD, as part of the Las Vegas Centennial Collection in 2005. Also taken from soundboard taps, variations in sound quality on that one suggest it was assembled from multiple dates, which I believe was confirmed by producer Charles Pignone. (I believe the same to be true of the Sinatra: Vegas box set show from April ’87.) Highly recommended:

[​IMG]

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

P.S. Not to wander too far off-topic, but the above-pictured CD contains two unique live songs: “The Girls I Never Kissed” and “Only One to a Customer.” Both had been recently recorded by FS and have not appeared on Reprise releases outside of the complete suitcase/box set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.