Video Game Music (OST)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B.Burl, Jan 9, 2011.

1. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

Beautiful rendition of an old favorite.

AidanB likes this.
  2. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Love the soundtrack for Gen 2, especially with the remakes.

drivingfrog likes this.
  3. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

I often wish Mary Elizabeth McGlynn would quit voice acting and just start a band. In an alternate timeline she could've easily become one of the greatest female vocalists in rock.

Runicen likes this.
  4. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Nah, then we wouldn't have the greatest dub in all of anime, Cowboy Bebop!

Faders Up likes this.
  5. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

My sons play a lot of sports games on PS4, particularly MLB and NHL, and the songs those franchises license have introduced them to some good old, non-top-40 rock and pop music. But the most out of left field song my 11 year-old has latched on to came from NBA 2K:

6. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Oh man, when I was like 8 years old, Sonic Adventure 2 came out and for some reason my dumb child brain became obsessed with the music in it. Fantastic soundtrack/songs, imo!!! Especially the Rouge The Bat levels. So hummable. :)

Runicen likes this.
  7. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Had a lot of fun with Undertale and its soundtrack. Still smile when tracks from it come up on shuffle. "Temmie Village" is probably one of my favorites. I just wonder how Fox came up with that one.

I've been indulging my inner child lately more than is healthy and listening to a lot of limited release Zelda and Kirby soundtracks. While both franchises involve a lot of retreads of older musical themes, they always get interesting new arrangements. Shame is, quite a few of these games never get official soundtrack releases. This is a prime example of "Would you put this out on CD so I can give you money?!"

Kirby's Epic Yarn

drivingfrog likes this.
  8. iwokeinrelief

iwokeinrelief Forum Resident

The little indie game "Thomas was Alone" had an absolutely incredible soundtrack. I played through the game in a single sitting, in large part just to hear more of the soundtrack.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  9. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

Yes yes yes! Data Discs do a lovely double album of SoR 2, that music stirs you up, in a very 90's dance floor kind of way...

10. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

I've just discovered this and I'm obsessed with it. My 15 year old son said he had a song stuck in his head from the game Lisa the painful so I got him to play it for me and it's brilliant. The whole soundtrack is fantastic, sort of electro/hip hop style but really cool. I've just ordered the vinyl but sadly I missed the picture disc version which is possibly the coolest looking record I've ever seen (it's got 8 bit graphics on it). I might even check out the game. I'm not really into indie games but it's meant to be dark and twisted and if the soundtrack is anything to go by, it should be quality.

(Lisa the joyful is the expansion but still included on the album)

Runicen and Phaneronic like this.
  11. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

My Xmas present to myself was this lovely limited edition box set of the Nier OSTs. Beautiful music, lovely packaging and the pressings are wonderful:

[​IMG]

12. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Something that may be of interest to folks on here is the soundtrack to Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. Issued exclusively on blu-ray, the whole thing is just under 7 hours long, plays in hi-res and even has an option to download MP3s off the disc (if you're not a pedant like me who rips audio from blu-ray discs). It's a really nice presentation, if not exactly cheap.

I'd never even played the game. I was just curious once I'd heard about how they chose to package this thing. Music is great too. ;)

Halfwit likes this.
  13. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

The soundtracks to Red Dead Redemption and Deadly Premonition (which also happen to be my two very favorite games) are just beautiful and absolutely breathtaking.

14. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Final Fantasy game soundtracks always stood out to me in my youth for me. Maybe some Mass Effect music is really nice, here is the Illusive Man Suite for example:

Runicen likes this.
  15. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

The Streets of Rage II soundtrack was probably the first game with a soundtrack that grabbed me, especially the intro and credits.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater II also got me into a few bands that feature on that.

Grow Fins and Former Scientist like this.
  16. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Perhaps my favorite video game opening theme ever.

Runicen and AidanB like this.
  17. Jiri Smahel

Jiri Smahel Forum Resident

Definitely Quake 2

Runicen and Rocat like this.
  18. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Here's a couple I like in particular...

19. edenofflowers

From Lumines, Child of Eden and No More Heroes...

Halfwit likes this.
  20. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

Jet Set Radio soundtracks are cool

21. edenofflowers

From We Love Katamari...

Runicen and Halfwit like this.
  22. edenofflowers

And just for fun, the godlike power of the Yakuza series' Majima Goro's rendition of 24-hour Cinderella. Dynamic. Exciting.

winkerwatson likes this.
  23. Anachostic

Anachostic Forum Resident

I'm glad that someone ripped the soundtrack from the arcade game Spy Hunter, which uses the Peter Gunn theme. I thought a lot of the solo sections were pretty well done.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  24. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Played a really wild game a few weeks ago, but the real star of the show was the soundtrack.

A guy by name of Cosmo D seems to enjoy creating these odd "walking simulator" adventure games, which seem to mostly be settings for some excellent music that he also composes and records. The one I played was called "The Norwood Suite."

This only gives a brief taste of the music. The full soundtrack can be streamed via Bandcamp and is well worth a listen.

The Norwood Suite Soundtrack, by Cosmo D

25. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Quake had Nine Inch Nails for the soundtrack. Quake II had Sonic Mayhem. A highlight is ‘Descent Into Cerberon’.

Unreal, Unreal Tournament and Deus Ex all have highly praised soundtracks done by mostly two guys, Alexander Brandon and another guy I can’t spell the name of. A highlight is ‘Chizra’.

The Halo series are famous for having incredible soundtracks. A highly is ‘Deference Into Darkness’.

Hotline Miami has a lot of music from indie artists, and create half the atmosphere for the game. Absolutely incredible stuff. A highlight is ‘Horse Steppin’’

Dissidence and Runicen like this.