Video Game Music (OST)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B.Burl, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

That reminds me: are you aware of any way to get the Unreal and Unreal Tournament soundtracks other than streaming via YouTube? If there isn't one, I may need to dig out my game discs and see if the music can be extracted somehow.

2. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I’m glad someone else knows these games.
    You can use a YouTube downloader. Tons of them around. Personally I used this. It’s safe, don’t worry.
    Unreal MP3 - Download Unreal Soundtracks for FREE!
    Enjoy! :righton:

Runicen likes this.
  3. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Ayyy! That's where i got Kingdom Hearts and Ghost in the Shell music from :righton::righton::righton:

4. Part 1

Runicen likes this.
  5. Part 2

Runicen likes this.
  6. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Actually this is what I used for Unreal. Great quality and ‘remastered’ but sounds very similar to the original, but better. There’s a FLAC and MP3 download link in the description. The quality of the Unreal Tournament OST on my first link also sounds great.

7. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I've actually used a program called "Win X HD Video Converter" to snatch audio from YouTube videos. My beef with that approach, aside from the loss in quality that comes with pulling from YT, is the fact that I need to create CUE sheets to split the thing up into its constituent tracks. Definitely not super enjoyable. Granted, in a pinch, I'll take it over nothing. Used it to get game soundtracks from Nintendo releases that never got proper soundtracks.

8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Follow-up to FLA's 2012's Airmech-
    This summer-
    [​IMG]

October Man likes this.
  9. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

[​IMG]

The Tubes: What Do You Want From Live

10. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I'm confused. But also ignorant about The Tubes. What's the video game connection?

11. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I remember playing this on the NES.

YarRevenge and c-eling like this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I love Solar Fields' contribution to both Mirror's Edge games! Some of my favorite game OSTs.

13. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

Your not the only one whos confused. This was supposed to be in the "Whats On Your Player" thread :) LOL :)

14. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Glad to see this thread isn't in the forum graveyard. I was nervous at the first few pages when they showed posting dates in 2015...

The joy of video game soundtracks has been with me since I was a kid. I probably couldn't even have pinned down why the music in games worked for me - it was just part of the entire gaming experience. Imagine my delight when I started finding standalone soundtrack releases or that I was capable of extracting the music from some older games (the bastards make you work for it) for listening outside of the usual gameplay experience.

For the early stuff, I can't speak highly enough of Frank Klepacki's work on the Command & Conquer series. I tend to think he hit his stride on the first Red Alert game, which has some excellent variety. Things vary from trip-hop to metal on to things that are much more laid back and jazzy. It's really a tremendous body of songs and I still listen to my rip from the game (the official release is missing some of the best tracks) all the time.

nosliw and Soundslave like this.
  15. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

And, because I feel the need to spam the thread, let's go to town.

Beyond that, we have Robyn Miller, whose work on Myst and Riven are well worth checking out (still available on CD, no less). More recently, he created a much more laid back soundtrack for the adventure game Obduction. The music is more sparse, in fitting with the gameplay, but still carries some nice emotional resonance with it.

None of Miller's soundtracks are available for streaming in full on YouTube, so I'll just put this track from Obduction up:

EDIT: I would be remiss if I didn't mention that this soundtrack was available for streaming and purchase on Miller's Bandcamp though. Obduction - Original Game Soundtrack, by Robyn Miller

16. plynthe

plynthe Forum Resident

It's supposed to be coming soon on vinyl. Really cool, dark ambient stuff.

17. oldbsturgeon

oldbsturgeon RlrrLrll

What sort of in a roundabout way got me back to the forums was video game soundtracks.
    I hadn’t bought physical media for several years now but there was a game I got last year, Persona 5, that I really enjoy and part of it is the soundtrack.
    So I bought it. It’s a 3 disc set, Japanese release only. That of course sent me down the rabbit hole, but that is what reignited things.
    It got me thinking does anyone else have and game soundtracks and if so what are they?

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  18. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Video games? Some new kind of entertainment?...:frog:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  19. phish

phish Jack Your Body

The Minecraft soundtrack is fantastic.

20. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Funny this thread popped up - I was playing the SNES Classic console a few weeks ago, and hearing those old soundtracks got me thinking about how beautiful some of them were. Even in the 8 and 16 bit days. What is the 3CD set you purchased? A set of video game soundtracks?

Carlox, Runicen and Crimson jon like this.
  21. iworkatinitech

iworkatinitech Forum Resident

My votes go for the following:
    FFVII
    FFIX
    FFX
    Resident Evil 4
    Elder Scrolls Oblivion
    Elder Scrolls Skyrim

Runicen likes this.
  22. iworkatinitech

iworkatinitech Forum Resident

Has anyone seen that there is a pre-order for selections from the OST of Skyrim due out June 1st? If only they'd do that with Oblivion...

Maidenpriest likes this.
  23. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Agreed Oblivion was the much better Soundtrack I stopped playing the game ages ago but still listen to the wonderful music, this is sublime

Blaine Jacobs and iworkatinitech like this.
  24. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Anyone know why video game sountracks are so expensive? Anytime I see them at a record shop, I see them starting at 30 bucks and never seen them used.