Best Chick Corea CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by synchronizer, Oct 9, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synchronizer

synchronizer Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am curious about people's opinions on the available Chick Corea CDs, and specifically, I am looking into "My Spanish Heart," which has a recent remastering, a Japanese SHM-CD, and various other masterings. (I prefer masterings without needless compression.) What do we know about the Chick Corea CDs? Do most people prefer a particular CD version?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Well, I know this much: the playing is more important to me than the mastering.

Now He Sings, Now He Sobs (1968); and
    Trio Music (1982)

with Miroslav Vitous and Roy Haynes are top shelf releases, and should be part of any great jazz collection.

I hope someone else can weigh in on mastering for you. And here's a friendly bump + info.

Wounded Land likes this.
  3. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Xabby and Jim N. like this.
  4. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I love Touchstone, mainly because of the two tracks featuring Paco de Lucia.

5. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

As for My Spanish Heart, the original 80's Polydor CD is very nice, except that it omits The Sky. The 2000 Verve remaster isn't bad either (compression-wise, that is), and it restores The Sky in the running order plus adds one previously unreleased bonus track (The Clouds). These are the two versions I've got and I think I may have a slight preference to the Polydor, despite the missing track.

Archtop likes this.
  6. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Return To forever (First) Polydor 3112-8
    Piano Improvisation Vol.1 Polydor 3112-9
    Gary Burton Like Minds Concord SACD 1029-6

7. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jimmydean likes this.
  8. synchronizer

I saw the Corea and Gadd Band play the previous month and the music was wonderful.

Apparently the Polydor is missing a track and the remaster is "okay." Hmm, perfection is rare I suppose.

Archtop likes this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

A track titled "The Sky" was left off some versions to fit it on one CD. If you like vinyl the double LP is still around.

10. synchronizer

Ah, I don't have a turntable, so I am looking for digital versions.

11. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

I don't know if you have a SACD player but if you do the SACD of Chick Corea - Return To Forever is worth buying while it's still available. This is sold only by Tower Records in Japan but can be ordered using the CD Japan proxy service.

12. synchronizer

Hm, no I don't. I would only be able to play CDs or SHM-CDs. Thank you though!

13. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The 24/96 digital download of Light as a Feather sounds incredible.

bxbluesman likes this.
  14. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

One of my favorites, besides Return to Forever, is A Week at the Bluenote with his group , Origin. Top notch music incredible improvisation.

15. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Nice picks! Crystal Silence...now that is some grown-up music right there...

16. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

Light as a feather

17. van1

van1 Forum Resident

I'm trying to buy CDs of the band 'return to forever'. Does anyone have recommendations. Any must have or ones to avoid, especially 'romantic warrior'. I've seen two CDs of romantic warrior, one says 'digitally remastered from the original analogue tapes'

There's a 5 cd chick corea set that includes four RTF CDs, is this a good easy collection builder?

Chick Corea - 5 Original Albums

18. Bytor Snowdog

Bytor Snowdog Forum Resident

The Anthology by Return to Forever

The Anthology Remixes sound the best (imo) and it includes all of Romantic Warrior.

19. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

[​IMG]
    Go for the 13 track version:
    [​IMG]
    Sound wise... nothing special. As for the music... I would take this one to a desert island.

20. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Thanks, I wasn't aware of any remixes; looks like a nice set with 2 complete albums and a best of the rest.

Still also interested in the other albums on the Chick Corea 5 disc set

21. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

I bought the My Spanish Heart Verve remaster when it came out and sold my older Polydor CD. On an accurate system the remaster now sounds bloated/compressed to me, so I'm re-buying the old CD to compare and see if it's intrinsic or just a case of loudness mastering.

Musicisthebest likes this.
  22. Matty

Matty Senior Member

Same here. I was pleasantly surprised by the sound of the remaster, though ultimately I sold it and kept Dennis Drake's original mastering on Polydor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.