Leave It To Beaver: The Complete Series (Shout Factory)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I've just begun Season 3.
    The bonus audio from the Internet radio program Stu’s Show, with interviews of and insight from Ken Osmond, Frank Bank and Jerry Mathers (thus far), should not be overlooked.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  2. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

This is pretty close to what happened with Fred Savage (Kevin Arnold) on "The Wonder Years." I can't watch the later episodes, but the first few seasons were great. It's as if very young kids aren't the last bit self-conscious in front of the camera, but when they reach 11 or 12 and getting close to puberty they become extremely self-conscious and play to the camera a lot more.

Makes sense, I suppose, since most kids go through that same sort of transition when they reach junior high school, also known as the seventh circle of hell.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. dance_hall_keeper

I'm almost getting used to "the dancing hair", found at the bottom of the screen at the start of each episode in Season 3.
    After hearing Mr.Mathers talk about how multiple takes of the "the-boys-walking-home-from school" clip were used during the running of the end credits, I noticed this:
    In some of the clips, there are two pieces of debris that get blown from right to left near the curb. In the other clips, they aren't there.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Man, I just don't understand where people get the idea that we're obsessive compulsive around here.

:)

5. dance_hall_keeper

Merely observations made from viewing, nothing more.

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I understand- I was just joking around. :) I would probably notice and get annoyed with it, too.

7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Fred Savage was around 12 (give or take a few months either way) when he started on "The Wonder Years".

8. dance_hall_keeper

Another "how-have-I-missed-seeing-that' moment: Series Number 118, Season 4, Episode 1, "Beaver Won't Eat" (aka, the Brussels sprouts episode).
    In the restaurant for the meal prior to attending the football game and at a table adjacent to that where the Cleavers are seated, are three women. One of them is Sue Randall, who played Miss Landers in the series, without speaking role in this episode.

9. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

In the episode Wally's Weekend Job when Wally is working as a counterboy in the ice cream shop as the credits roll you have the most ever extras in any LITB show - ELEVEN.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my complete box set has fallen to the goo monster! many discs are getting gooey...OH NO! paid a lot of coin for this Shout box set.

11. Do you happen to live in a high humidity environment? That is not unheard of with certain discs in those types of climates.

Michael likes this.
  12. Michael

dvd's are in a climate controlled environment. my friend has the same problem and we are thousands of miles apart...answer is no.

13. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Have never experienced this and have no idea what it is. Is it the same as disc rot? Doesn't sound good at all. Remember when they told us these discs would last forever? My oldest CD is from 1984 and it is still fine. Wonder what changed to cause disc rot. Unfortunate that your DVD's are melting away, you're right that set wasn't cheap. I have individual seasons, I need to inspect them.

Michael likes this.
  14. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

That's horrible! Does Shout Factory have any kind of disc replacement thing going? You're right, it wasn't cheap. Sucks if you're out of luck, and they do nothing about it.

I haven't touched mine in more than a year, but will have to check it out tonight and look for issues.

Michael likes this.
  15. Michael

please let me know...

16. Michael

have at lease 6 season sets that are getting gooey be it small or large portions...

17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Yikes! The only such problem I ever had was with REO Speedwagon's greatest hits CD. After several years, I pulled it out and discovered I could partly see through the disc. Of course, it would no longer play. I'm guessing some would say I dodged a bullet.

18. Michael

indeed!

19. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I didn't get a chance to play any of the discs, but visually everything look fine. No issues as far as I could tell.

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

That's good...keep your eye on them occasionally...

jdlaw likes this.
  21. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Checked mine season 4 disc 1 and 6 has some I guess some goo sticky substance. 70% IPA cleans them right up just fine. I think the plastic underlays are causing this.

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

I use 91% ...I find this problem mostly with the clear cases and scanvo seems to be the worst. I removed some DVDs and put them on a spindle and the goo did not return...we'll see.

23. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I have that same disc and bought it new back in the day. Perhaps I should look at it and inspect. Will I dodge the bullet too?

24. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Some of those Wally centered episodes later in the series were great!

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  25. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

Yes, early shows with the Beaver as the lead were great and the later shows with Wally as the lead were great too. It was an almost perfect show. Actually often I liked Wally better than the Beaver, he was a great role-model for kids. Honest, successful and always studying.

MikeInFla and mark renard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.