What's the best sounding "Boston"???????

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by robby, Nov 28, 2004.

1. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

I have a Sanyo Japan for US of Escape but not Japan for Euro. I remember it sounding different from the first press Japan and first press US DADC. I haven't compared in a while but should run numbers on it one day.

sa5150 likes this.
  2. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Cool , Sanyo wow.... was that a very early pressing ? Overall what do you think of made in Germany,USA to made in Japan ? There some other bands and singers I am looking at and there are a few choices . To bad because at one point I actually owned most of this and fell trap to the remaster loudness and sold or traded everything off :( .

3. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Tom Scholz + control. But I could be wrong.

4. Evan

Evan Senior Member

You make him sound like Neil Young.

5. Most likely this one:

6. sandimascharvel

It all depends. For my favorite albums, I try to get several pressings. Sometimes the Japan is my fave, sometimes West Germany or Germany, sometimes UK, sometimes US.

sa5150 likes this.
  7. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Ever get a chance to check out the Escape cd you have ,Really curious on that . Still trying to figure out which one to buy of that and Frontiers ? The black n gold cost way too much .

I think i'm finally ok with the Boston cds I got the Austria s/t + a nice rip of the wally vinyl and a second press of DLB Japan , I have the mastersounds and Tom's remasters which I will hold on to . I like the pictures and the golds poster inserts .
    Third stage on the MFSL is fine with me . Just need to hunt down a clean Vinyl rip of the Walk on and I'm set :)

What do you think for Reo's wheels are turning cd ,Any preference ? Thanks .

sandimascharvel likes this.
  8. sandimascharvel

I know I settled on the black and gold Japan Escape sounding best. I found a fairly scratched up copy without the OBI for a cheaper price without any skips. I put the others away after doing A/B's.

I don't have that REO title.

sa5150 likes this.
  9. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Anyone ever had a chance to test out the quality of Orion the Hunter s/t 1984 cd (Boston-related) original Epic cd with the Razor and Tie re-issue ? I have the Epic but the level on that cd is very low .

10. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I found a Wally orange label pressing of Boston. Sounds nice but different from the original stock Boston cd Ive had for years.

c-eling likes this.
  11. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Besides some extra soundstage, I found the treble to be tamed (which was welcome, could be my cart) and the vocals seem pushed up in the mix. Not sure about the reverb or lack of DD

driverdrummer likes this.
  12. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

The original 1/As of the debut & sophomore can't be beat for the real Boston sound Tom Scholtz was after in 1970s.Sorry RI lovers but its true.
    Overall better soundstage,tone,instrument seperation & balance compared to all comers.THOSE are the fabled Boston sound at its best!

Note:Seek out Wallys exclusively.

CryptoSurfer, c-eling and Gardo like this.
  13. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Got this answer on my own lol. All I had to see is Steve Hoffman re-masterd Orion the hunter and Barry Goudreau cds , They sound great . Time to get rid of my Rock Candy cds.

14. nob0dy

nob0dy Active Member

sorry to dig up an old thread, but anyone have any idea how a DLB 1981 Chet Bennett remastered LP compares to a wally? it sounds pretty good, but nowhere near as good as the wally i have of the s/t

15. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Got to do some comparisons today of the first Boston. I have the DADC,Austria ,Mastersound,2006 remaster and found a rip of the wally LP . I know most will disagree but all of them sound almost the same . The wally Vinyl is most pleasant. The dadc ,Austria cds are the same so I wasted my money on the import on that one . From the DR charts looks like only the japan for usa has a different mastering , The japan for japan looks to be the same as what you can easily find . The mastersound is not as bright has everyone here is going nuts about and the 2006 remaster is really not all that much worse then the others . So I have avoided listening to the 2006 and mastersound hoping for something better while they are not that bad to begin with . I need to let my ears judge more then what I read . I do not have the SACD and while that sounds like it is the way to go not sure if it's worth the money people are asking for it . Anyone know if the japan for usa is really a different mastering or did someone mess up the DR charts ? It looks to be pretty common that 2 people post different results on that board , Thanks all .

16. Brian Vollrath

Brian Vollrath Forum Resident

I ended up going with the Friday Music vinyl for the first Boston album.

Strat-Mangler and sa5150 like this.
  17. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

The HDTracks DSD 2.8 MHz release of Boston's Boston sounds incredible IMHO... it is currently available on HDTracks at 25% off (discount code HDDECADE25).

sandimascharvel and sa5150 like this.
  18. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Thanks for that , I might do it .

I got to hear a couple tracks from the cd layer of the sacd and I have to say that is the worst of all the cds out there, Ear piercing . "Piece if mind" is a great song to test to and the cymbals hurt on the sacd much more then the 2006 remaster , the snare drum is non existent on any version (maybe never was) , The best so far to me from what I have listened to is the lp tied with the original cd . Just need to hear the hd tracks, friday vinyl and look for a japan for usa first print and I will have about my 20th different way I have heard this LOL . Does anyone have the reel to reel ;) ...

oboogie and sandimascharvel like this.
  19. sandimascharvel

I was curious about the SACD. I have it but no SACD player lol. I read someone that said the version of “Smokin’” ruined the SACD but there wasn’t an elaboration. I like the Japan for Japan the best among those (except the LP which I don’t have) but never heard the Japan for US. That would be interesting if it was different. I think I read that about the Japan for US of DLB.

sa5150 likes this.
  20. sandimascharvel

I read somewhere that the DSD was sourced from the SACD. Could that be the case?

21. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

According to highresaudio.com the DSD release was digitally remastered from the original master tapes but acousticsounds.com states the DSD release was created by Gus Skinas from the original Sony Super Audio CD cutting masters.

22. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Hmm, Not sure If would like it then . I've searched everywhere for the japan for usa cd to buy and it's not available at the usual places . Well one might be there but a lot of people do not take pictures of the cd ,I'll maybe try some used shops this weekend .

23. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

I think only the Japan for Japan DLB is different for the early cds .

24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Mastered by Kevin Gray. Sounds fantastic!

aroney and Brian Vollrath like this.
  25. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

It's not a hybrid - it's SACD only, so there's no cd layer. Nevertheless, the SACD is not what I'd call relaxed. It could be too forward and piercing on some systems, for sure.
    The Japan for US cd is really nice in that it is relaxed and smoother by comparison. The Japan for US used to be pretty inexpensive on ebay. That's where I got mine for under $10, 5 years ago, or so, and it's supposed to be a unique mastering, I believe.

Regarding DLB, the very first Japan for US mastering is the same as the first issue "35 8P" Japan issue. It's a very early cd. Reissues starting around 1986 had a different mastering, that many, here, feel isn't as good.
    I have the first Japan for US and it's decent. No complaints other than it's a kind of thin sounding and didn't meet my initial hopes for it. But it sounds good and I like it. I'm not looking for another version. Discogs has the following written about the DLB cd (which could have come from this forum): "Don't Look Back" was among the first commercially produced compact discs when the format was introduced in 1983 but because of legal issues, the title was pulled after a small production run and did not re-appear on CD until three years later. Inserts for the original CD pressings contained the "spaceship blueprints" from the original album; those illustrations were not included in the 1986 re-release."

sandimascharvel and sa5150 like this.