CDs and Vinyl outselling digital downloads

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by telepicker97, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum? Thread Starter

CDs and vinyl are outselling digital music downloads

2. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Not surprising. People who don't buy physical are either streaming or downloading illegally. Nobody buys digital songs/albums anymore.

3. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

There you go.

Mr. Explorer and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  4. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

So, they are comparing 2 dying formats, and one is worse than the other...OK.

5. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

CD and LP sales have risen in the last year

6. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Though I champion physical media, I view this story as bad news. I mean really bad news. Because this doesn't indicate a win for physical media, the real winner here is streaming. And that's ultimately the enemy (for lack of a better term) to people who want to own and have control of the music available to them.

2/3 of all music consumed was streamed, and that's the real story here. And in my view, that's not good.

7. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I agree. Although streaming is a good way to find new music, the way that radio used to be long ago, you don't actually own anything. All it takes is missing a payment or some issue with your connection and "your" music is gone or at least unavailable. That's the reason I purchase music that I want to keep: I actually have it.

8. telepicker97

Maybe all physical media will become geared toward the audiophile market??

You know - the people who routinely drop $20-$50 (and up) on a single title??

i.e.: us.

9. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

10. Thievius

Maybe, but I don't have to like it.

People do seem eager to trade their consumer choice to the gods of convenience. But hey, when things go all tits up, don't say I didn't warn you.

Odysseus, Tullman, no.nine and 7 others like this.
  11. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

Two thirds of all REVENUE came from streaming.

If you think instead of what people are listening to, and take into account the high cost of buying an album (CD, vinyl, digital download) compared to the low cost of listening to an album via streaming, then streaming is way higher than just two thirds of how people are listening to music.

obi, Mr. Explorer, Shak Cohen and 3 others like this.
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

CD sales rose in 2017?

EDIT: not according to the RIAA report the OP linked to, says units shipped are down 10.3% and dollar value is down 6.5% in 2017.

13. telepicker97

I think "physical media" = LPs + CDs in this equation.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not according to that same RIAA report, in the article - vinyl sale increases haven't made up for the comparative loss of CD sales in 2017.

Not a CD hater, by any means. Just citing what the report states, unless someone has alternative data.

15. telepicker97

Right.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

haha! im with you! don't worry bout me, I could listen to my record collection for the next 50 years nonstop and not have to play one twice. "I don't need no stinking streaming!"
    .............but you know its over when the kids arent even bothered to illegally download

17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

So vinyl sales make up, what, a fifteenth of all sales of music?

Nice.

Bigbudukks and savemenow like this.
  18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I could see this being a possibility, especially considering the already existing base (right now everyone likely has at least one device that can play CDs as is, giving you lossless quality right now). However, another possibility is that there will be a significant increase in lossless downloads, where the cost is less than physical media but more than lossy downloads, and offers higher than Red Book audio quality.

19. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

I think the growth in streaming is a reflection of how much people miss good radio. Think of how many people used to listen to the radio all the time, but not buy records.

DiabloG, ODShowtime, altaeria and 4 others like this.
  20. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

Well, it's not the members of this bulletin board you have to warn... you're preaching to the choir. The people who mainly stream are never going to be found here; not many of them, anyway.

melstapler likes this.
  21. Thievius

Well yes, I think that is largely true. I'm just vocalizing my frustration towards a hypothetical opposition. When I say "you" its a circumstantial you, not a specific you. If that makes sense. :p

Brian W. likes this.
  22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I buy digital downloads of albums that aren't available otherwise . . . which primarily amounts to more obscure stuff and/or stuff in genres that aren't so popular, like gospel for example. It would also include a fair amount of older jazz, world music and so on, but a lot of that stuff is unfortunately not available as a download for purchase, either.

anorak2 likes this.
  23. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Well not quite, because more streaming means a steady income to record companies as opposed to a once off benefit and/or piracy. Which means more money to invest in new bands. Well I hope that's what they will do.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I wouldn't mind this outcome at all. It probably is a more sustainable business model, and has the added bonus of attracting new consumers by virtue of creating quality product that's worthy of purchase.

Crank up the DR ratings on physical media, be transparent about source and mastering info. Package it beautifully and heck yeh I'd pay $30 for that. Especially for vinyl.

stef1205, MartinR and telepicker97 like this.
  25. telepicker97

That would be stupid, because it's still reliant on the internet.

I only have the Internet on my phone, and downloading/uploading stuff off my phone or tablet is a hassle. I'm getting older and don't want to be bothered with that crap.

I like owning physical media. I grab a record and within 30 seconds I've dropped the stylus...I grab a CD and within 30 seconds it's spinning in the tray.

Better than Redbook = LP, SACD, DVD-A, blu-ray audio, etc.

Nothing can or will ever replace THAT.

I mean, I have TBs upon TBs of HiRes 24 bit music...and they just sit on the HDs. It takes so long to turn on the computer, plug in a HD, let it boot, etc, by then I could've listened to a whole album side by the time I find something to listen to.

I guess I could put on a record while I search my digital archives...but then I get distracted by how great the record sounds, and then realize how far down the futile digital rabbit hole I could go...so I just give up, sit on the couch, and enjoy some music.

^IT'S HAPPENED BEFORE.

dthomas850 and Hermes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.