Uh oh - no regular CD release of upcoming major release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Mar 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I rec'd an e-mail today about Sting/Shaggy's upcoming release. There will apparently be a Deluxe CD available $39.99, a vinyl release 27.99, and a digital download for $9.99.

Sooo - this means no regular CD release - you either shell out $40 for the "Deluxe" which includes a bonus live set or (oddly) $9.99 for no physical release and different bonus (studio tracks).

Is this one of the first major releases without a good 'ol $12-$15 CD available?

bataclan2002 likes this.
  2. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

I'd give it some time. Thom Yorke's last solo album took about a year to get a regular cd release. It was originally digital only, then you had to pay $30-40 bucks for deluxe vinyl, now the vinyl is under $20 and I got a cd a few weeks ago for about $10.

3. George McClellan

George McClellan Forum Resident

Target is going to have an exclusive deluxe edition CD available. It will be the same as the download. Probably shouldn't cost more than $12 - $15.

JDeanB likes this.
  4. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh yes I see, Target seems to have this covered, but I don't like this direction :(

mrjinks likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

if artists stop making cd's, i guess i won't be hearing their music unless they are releasing good 5.1 discs. i won't personally be downloading anything unless it is a free add on to a disc.

Sean, theshape, dalem5467 and 6 others like this.
  6. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

I guess you could include Time Fades Away as an example of this. Still hasn't been released as an individual CD but available in a box set.

7. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

I think that one will come, though. It took a while before the albums released in the 1-4 and 5-8 boxsets became available individually. Hopefully 8.5-12 come out individually soon as it will (with any luck) satisfy one or two people who regularly complain about TFA not being available!

The Big Guy likes this.
  8. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Marketing, my friend...die-hard fans might pay to get all the available tracks.
    Marketing.

9. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

Best Buy has it pre sale 12.99

klockwerk and JDeanB like this.
  10. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I don't see them abandoning CDs just yet - they still sell way more than vinyl.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  11. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

What direction? Wal-Mart has been doing this for years. How do you think Garth Brooks, and the Eagles last album peddled so many copies, at ridiculously low prices.

LEONPROFF likes this.
  12. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Amazon UK has it for £9.99......which seems a little on the high side:hide:

But yes we are heading in the direction where soon you will only get a physical release if you buy vinyl.....if your lucky.

If you kept the music industry alive for the past 10 years buying CD's then you can be assured that same industry is about to screw you over....as that is what it has done repeatedly over the course of history to those who support it.

But don't worry....you will still be able to buy a 60th Anniversary Edition of Sgt Peppers.......

13. mark winstanley

The likelyhood of returning to only vinyl hard copies seems as likely as all new releases being on bluray audio in 5.1.
    Both markets being niche markets.
    By its own greedy hand the industry has devalued and confused the art of music. Alienating consumers via format wars and endless repackaging of the same item in different clothes. This has led to a situation where young people buy video games and download a couple of favourite tunes instead of "getting into music", like people of my generation did.
    Music seems to have become a window dressing, rather than a new landscape to explore.
    I may be wrong, and certainly hope i am.

14. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

The main reason I mentioned it was because it was the only one I could think of that fit the OPs criteria. I bought the box so I'm good.

15. I seriously don’t understand why no CD issue, is a deterrent? In this day and age the digital DL and CD will most likely sound the same. A CD is and always has been just another form of storing digital files. No different than a hard disk drive, compact flash, SD, Flash Drive, DVD, etc. I know Barry Diament issues his current music in .FLAC files on a DVD. Again, it’s just another vehicle to store the digital files. I’d actually prefer to have the music issued on a Flash Drive, or SD card rather than a CD, since it’s eaier to store separately due to it being a fraction of the size of a CD. If I must have a CD, I’ll just convert the files to a Wave format and rip them to CD.

JM Jones and George McClellan like this.
  16. mark winstanley

i have had hard drives fail and lose everything. at this stage i have never had a cd fail.

17. I seriously don’t understand why no CD issue, is a deterrent? In this day and age the digital DL and CD will most likely sound the same.
    Did you not have a backup of your HDD? I back up all my music on two separate HDDs from the primary HDD. I’ve actually had CDs go bad on me in the past, that I wish I had backed them up on my HDD :confused:

18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Sting & Shaggy aren't selling a regular-priced CD for truck stops and Wal-Marts? Where the hell else would anyone even BUY this??

Sean and Django like this.
  19. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

From what I can see this CD will be widely available. Looks like a false alarm.

20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I've actually had a few CD's trashed in a basement flood. And a few scratched beyond repair, although not my doing.

But I still have digital files from two decades back. And a few backup HDD's....just in case.

21. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Personally I won't pay for MP3, but lossless flac or wav works for me.
    I like the idea of USB sticks, may explore loading flac files onto them if can remain lossless.
    I think artists would be making a mistake to not release product on CD as of now.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I see the recent Naked And Famous (unplugged) album A Still Heart in its physical format (CD) is only available via the band's official webpage and nowhere else.

23. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

it does not worry me! I am not much into this new duo of shaggy and Sting! sounds like a record company idea for an album!

24. mark winstanley

a back up is missing the point completely. a cd has never needed a back up in my house

25. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

It depends on the artist and on rationales of cost/benefit. For small fishes, it's too expensive and it just don't sell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.