SONY UBP-X800 universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by High Fidelity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Do you have the player set to power off automatically? I do, and I think it's always done so. I have a couple of SACD's on the Linn Records label that make the player do strange things - the player will stop playing and I have to hit Play again. Also I've left it playing overnight and IIRC the player shut off, but my receiver (which is also supposed to power off after 30 minutes of no use) was still on. Very strange. No such problem with any other discs.

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Don't know. I think I might have turned it off last night after play was done. Either way, I wouldn't expect it to get so fried by morning you couldn't even eject the disc or turn the power off.

It did this once before streaming from Amazon, but just sitting there after finishing a disc?

Here's hoping for another software update, but I'm not holding my breath...

ZippyPippy and dkmonroe like this.
  3. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Yep, if only to keep the resets and freezes at bay.

sunspot42 likes this.
  4. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I've had mine for almost a year now. Worked jolly good, until I upgraded to most recent FMW last week. Nothing but the trouble since. Netflix, USB drive, UHD disc all crashed at least once.

5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

There was a firmware update? I haven't gotten one yet. Maybe only for Australia. When was the last time you upgraded the firmware (or had you)? I upgraded mine when I bought it back in October or whenever, but no upgrades since that I can recall (checked for one just yesterday).

6. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I updated 2 weeks ago with the 'September 2017' firmware update. I guess its the one causing everyone a grief.

Regards

7. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

My firmware is M36.R.0178. Is there a newer version out there? BTW, the machine has been flawless.

8. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Both of mine as well.

9. Ravi Tester

Ravi Tester New Member

I am struggling to get the X800 to recognise DSF files from my Jriver media server. My Marantz SR6011 will play the files from the same DLNA source but the Sony refuses to even see them! Ami I doing something wrong?

thanks

10. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

Try uncheck bitstream dsd, in advanced streaming settings

11. Ravi Tester

Ravi Tester New Member

I looked and bitstreaming is disabled by default in Jriver 23.
    In encoding under DSD there are settings for a variety of different options.
    But I could understand if the Sony would not play the files, at the moment it does not show the files, it gives an error, "no playable files" in any folder with DSF files, although it will play them if I copy them to a usb stick!

I have seen people talking on forums about playing dsf files over the network, so it must be possible somehow!

12. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

I'm not getting LPCM 2.0 24 bit 96 kHz from blu-ray from the coaxial digital audio output, no matter what I try. It is being downsampled to 48 kHz. My DAC supports PCM up to 24 bit 192 kHz. Has anyone else faced the same problem?

13. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

This is expected behaviour and a consequence of licensing restrictions. Hi Res audio from Blu Ray is deliberately downsampled in this way as a copy protection measure. The full resolution is only available over HDMI.

Kiko1974 and lv70smusic like this.
  14. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

So no matter what 4K blu-ray player I get I'm doomed with 48 kHz max? So stupid.. literally just bothering a hobbyist.

jamesc likes this.
  15. Try to make a copy of the BD with DVDFab which removes not only region zone but also all restrictions.

Sevoflurane and Shawn like this.
  16. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

Are there HDMI to S/PDIF converters which could output 24 bit 96 kHz or 192 kHz from the S/PDIF when blu-ray content is being played and outputted from the player's HDMI?

17. Sevoflurane

Search the forums for HDMI de embedders. Such devices exist and there was a fairly lengthy thread where people were discussing their experiences with them.

This works well. My Floyd Dark Side Immersion Blu Ray failed, fortunately after I had ripped the content. The home made replacement plays the full 96K/24 bit over the coaxial digital out whereas commercial discs are all subject to downsampling / bit depth reduction to 48K/16 bit.

Having said that, my player will play the FLAC rips from a USB drive, so I just do that rather than burn new discs mostly.

jamesc likes this.
  18. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

I could live with 24 bit 48 kHz but 16 bit is literally like "**** you!". Once again illegally downloaders get their 24 bit 96 kHz. I bought the disc and got 16 bit 48 kHz. It's upside down and really makes me think to change my hobby.

sunspot42 and DrZhivago like this.
  19. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

It doesn't play SACD-R or DVDA-R, so probably it will not play home made blu ray.

20. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

You both probably have machines with better quality (working) BD drive inside.

Apparently, its a potential combination of FMW and inferior BD drives installed in some of these units.

Regards

21. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

I read about those HDMI De-Embedders.

Audiophile Review!HDMI De-Embedder OffersHigh-Res Conduit For Universal Players

Do those even work with this player? Has anybody tried? I wouldn't be surprised if a player from Sony would be "a handshake-compliant player"

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  22. Sevoflurane

None of my home BD players (4 at the last count) will play SACDR. The only one that has been able to in the past had the ability to play them removed in a firmware update. All of these machines will play my home made BDR discs (single layer BD25 discs authored in Audiomuxer and burned with ImgBurn). Two of the machines are Sony.

HeartAttack75 likes this.
  23. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

Are you sure the output from e.g. 24 bit 96 kHz blu-ray is 16 bit 48 kHz and not 24 bit 48 kHz from S/PDIF? Because I've read various comments stating it's either 16 bit or 24 bit. Has anyone actually checked that out? Unfortunately my DAC can't display the bit depth... The manual doesn't mention anything about the limitation of the S/PDIF so I feel like fooled.

24. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

That's why I kept my old 360 and 460 sony players.

25. Sevoflurane

Assuming your player implements the license correctly, yes. My Oppo definitely converts higher resolution audio to 48/16 from S/PDIF according to my amplifier. There have been players that haven't implemented this for e.g. DVD Audio (earlier Oppo players output the full resolution for stereo audio from DVDA) but I suspect the Blu Ray licensing people would jump on any non compliant manufacturers very quickly. The Oppo manuals do highlight this limitation very clearly.