My new Line Magnetic 216IA Integrated Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Erocka2000, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. v3kt0r

v3kt0r New Member

Thank you guys for so many replies. I have no patience as IanL and most of you so I switched them right when I stepped into my apartment yesterday.
    I was listening to Radiohead - OK Computer from CD with my jaw on the floor (CD player is California Music Labs ICON MK2 borrowed from my co-worker who actually infected me with the tubes sound and I honestly appreciate this). So, when I was listening to Coldplay - A Rushs of Blood to The Head from Fiio X5 MK2 DAC and I found it way to bright without deep and layered basses. It could be related to 3.5 - RCA cable I use and it's $5 cable I had in my closet (didn't have a chance and money yet to move to decent cables). I'm also waiting for my Lounge MCR MK3 phono preamp to finally listen the same albums on vinyl. So, could you please recommend if I should replace cables first and then go with another tubes. It is not going be so fast but I just want to create a plan and follow it.
    I'm so glad guys I'm with you now and enjoying sound as newer heard before. Dreams come true.

Thanks.

ThorensSme and IanL like this.
  2. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I would definitely get some competent interconnects in there before worrying any more about the tubes. You don't need to go nuts, but I would consider maybe some Audioquest RCAs at around $100/pair. Something along those lines, where you know you are getting something decent, even if it is unlikely to be the PERFECT match in your system. Check out AudioAdvisor, as they usually have some clearance interconnects at decent prices, sometimes without the factory packaging. At lower prices, I would stay away from silver and stick to mostly copper. Silver can be wonderful, but it can sound a bit bright and lacking in midrange magic at lower prices and when not in the hands of a very talented designer. Copper is more forgiving, and it sounds wonderful at lower prices.

v3kt0r likes this.
  3. v3kt0r

v3kt0r New Member

Thank you IanL. I'll save money for decent cables first and there will be some time for tubes to break in. Sounds as plan for me.

IanL likes this.
  4. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Also consider that there are some CDs that just sound like crap. No tube or cable is ever going to fix that.

ThorensSme likes this.
  5. IanL

IanL Senior Member

That's where a tubed DAC can sometimes work wonders.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I was gonna say the same for the 215 Tube cd player. I get way less fatigue on cd's going straight to the Asgard 2 than I used to using the Oppo 105D in the same manner.

7. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Frankly, I'd just wait and let the tubes and circuitry settle in before spending any more money. You really don't know how your amp sounds yet, so put off any major purchases for at least 100 hours of play.

I wouldn't say cables make no difference, but I doubt any cable would make your amp sound overly bright. A better cable down the road might deliver a little improvement.

I assume you've addressed any room issues?

Enjoy your amp!

8. Jacky2188

Jacky2188 New Member

As i know, this amp only design for KT88 and not match other tube, anyone here try and success?

9. Marina8

Marina8 New Member

Hi Jacky2188, I have a friend with the LM 216IA which I've enjoyed some great listening sessions with and he is using KT-120 tubes. He searched the web extensively prior to trying them to see if there had ever been a transformer failure in a KT-88 design using KT-120's and said he couldn't even find one. I did hear the amp with the stock KT-88's and it was best sounding in Triode, but I'll tell you this thing sounds incredible with the KT-120's in Triode. I'm seriously considering this amp for myself as it's a true bargain.

10. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Has anyone that purchased this amp when it first came out still using it? There is a used one available locally in near mint condition being offered for hundreds less than the new price. I wanted to know if the love affair is still on before I contacted the seller.

11. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

216 is a fun little integrated. Both it and the 211 are crazy good performers for the price point. If you have any specific questions on it, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

12. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Is it in the hammertone finish? Man that is one attractive amp.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  13. GoldprintAudio

Yep....hammertone.

IanL likes this.
  14. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

What does a 216ia run (price wise and wattage)?

15. GoldprintAudio

$1950 and 38 watts per channel.

16. Minty_fresh

I went to my local dealer and he didn’t want to have me listen to any of the LM’s they had. “Nah, you won’t like it” he said. They didn’t have the 216ia but I still wanted to put my music through something to see how it sounded.

I’m pretty set on which direction I want to go but I still want to hear the 216ia before I buy. It’s a shame that I can’t even order from out of state. I’m not a fan of my local dealer.

17. inperson

inperson Senior Member

If I knew where Dirty Town was and if it was close I'd let you listen to mine.

18. Minty_fresh

Thanks but I’m going another direction.

I look forward to leaving Dirty Town forever. I won’t even stay to watch it burn.

19. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

What amplifier is your target. I want to understand why a dealer would tell you you would not like a 216IA. It is one of the best KT88 amps I've heard and a reasonable price. Granted I am not a big KT88 fan and I personally prefer the 211 which is cheaper or the 218. Still, the 216IA for $2k is probably better than 98% of all $2k amps out there! I mean it is probably more accurate than the 211 if I am honest - I just think that sometimes it is better to go with a slightly more veiled amp to paper over the cracks of the gear that is likely to be connected to a $2k amp. I'd really likely someone to put the Psvane Grey bottle KT88s on that amp and tell me if it improves the sound as much as I think. The grey bottles on a Master Sound KT88 was absolutely stunning - And that amp was also only $2k. So I wonder how much the grey bottles would improve the LM amps?

[​IMG]

KT88-TII (quad) | Psvane & Treasure Audio Tubes

ThorensSme likes this.
  20. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

For what it is worth, best 12Bh7 I tried were RCA grey plate and best 12AX7 are RCA black plate. Great amp you have there!

21. Minty_fresh

Doesn’t matter. Going in a different direction.

22. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think your question answers itself by the time you're finished asking it - I get the impression that like us, most people pick EL34 in a shootout with KT88. I did a lot of side by side listening with the 211 and the 216 and concluded if I wanted the 216 I could probably find a solid state amp that did what it did even better.

As to the Psvane tubes, I've never heard them but you're probably on to something. That series of Line Magnetic responds to better tubes more so then any tube amplifier I've heard personally. I could completely change the voicing of the 211 with different combinations of signal and power tubes. I settled on Telefunkens and NOS Mullard XF2s, the combination was glorious. I spent some time listening to it yesterday in fact. It's a testament to that amp that I could get an entire two hours without putting the Oto Sig back in. :)

IanL likes this.
  23. inperson

inperson Senior Member

What direction you headin'?

24. lakshmi J

lakshmi J New Member

Hi folks,

I apologize if I ask a redundant question. I've read a lot but not all of this thread. I'm currently listening to a Primaluna Prologue Premium amp on my 20 year old Mcintosh XR230 speakers that Roger Russell sold me. I had Mac tube amps long ago and sold them, dang it. Best amps ever...I won't go there. Anyway, my friend loaned me this one and said I should buy the Line Magnetic because it's better. I'm trying to decide on EL or Kt tubes...hence the reason I'm using his Primaluna. EL is more tube and soft sounding and KT is a really full sound that I love...but kinda harsh on the mid range. I read some people put Kt77s in (maybe the EL amp will take those? Are they the best of both?). Anyway...I'm just wondering which one I should get. I would like the KT88 if the LM amps don't sound as harsh as this one on the mid range. And Primaluna is pretty good. I think the KT88's in this are Shuguang and the EL's are stock with the amp. Thanks!

25. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

I can only speak to upgrading the stock tubes to the Gold Lion KT88s. I've had them for years now and they are amazing paired with my Verity Audio Finns.

I have recently downgraded to a pair of Klipsch KG2s though, since we have an infant who will be learning to walk soon and the Finns aren't ideal for that. So I'm considering testing out some EL34s, which I've heard pair nicely with these speakers. Will report back once I do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.