Bob Dylan - Euro Tour 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nick Fuller, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Funniest thing I read for a while.

Beaneydave likes this.
  2. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Well, you must admit that this can be a shocking experience if you are not prepared. Or haven't really listened to Dylan before :D

arthurprecarious likes this.
  3. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

My experience seeing Bob over the years is that the great concerts have been nothing short of superb.
    There have been others that have been, well, at least you're seeing Bob.
    I've been disappointed the last time I saw him, and with his last few albums. With the cost of seeing international artists on our shores, I don't think I will be rushing to see him again if he comes our way. Which I write with sadness, and with memories of the great tours.

Craig's Story and FangfossFlyer like this.
  4. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

Hi,

You don’t happen to be the guy I stood next to at John Cale concert in Liverpool docks last year as he said the same thing?

Richard

P.s. I have seen him many times though the decades and saw him twice last year, once at The London Pladium in row three and it was a great experience but I doubt that I will go see him again this year esp. if it is the same backing band .

5. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

he plays Zürich on the 11th :)
    big group of friends going, we all bought tickets independently and realised a week afo...

timnor likes this.
  6. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

7. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Yeah. :D Especially because Dylan has been such an uncontroversial live performer. He is like Neil Diamond, giving the people what they want!

Six Bachelors likes this.
  8. BurtThomasWard

At least since 1965... ;)

Nightswimmer likes this.
  9. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Sounds like your concert was 2008 or thereabouts, which was one of the great low points of Bob's live performance career. Probably only equaled by late 1990/early 1991.

10. BurtThomasWard

It would have to be March 25th, 2009 after checking the interwebs. A hell of a birthday gift :D

Edit: At least I got rid of that girlfriend only some 9 'short' months later. But I would never blame Dylan for that.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  11. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

No it wasnt me, although i did want to go and see him but could not get time off work
    Was it a bad concert,did he do any VU songs

12. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

3 covers during this evening's Madrid gig...the standards are creeping back in

13. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Worst Dylan show out of 10 I've seen was in May 2009 so I can go with that.

14. BurtThomasWard

Have you seen him more recently?

15. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

I skipped him in 2010 but went back in November 2012 and it was revelatory, a truly fantastic show, the last (to date) and one of the great Dylan shows I've seen.

(As reference, also up there are Glasgow SEC 1995 & 2000 and Glasgow Barrowlands 2004).

It was also before the Sinatra phase which I'm not a fan of ...

16. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

do you all think he just needs a break from touring for a while?

17. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

Did you boo and shout Judas?

jmxw likes this.
  18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I've been less and less enamored with his performances over the last decade.
    All shows in Chicago.
    I thought he was great, energetic on the tour with Mark Knopfler in 2012.
    The Americanarama show was less entertaining.
    Two summers ago was a bore.
    I know that many like the Sinatra/standards, but I don't find his new direction very appealing.

Solace likes this.
  19. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

I was in Madrid tonight. Stellar show, if you ask me. Desolation Row was as sweet as ever. Many highlights and the standards were done very smoothly. I'll be back on Wednesday and hoping that it will be at least as good as today.

J

jumpinjulian and mark ab like this.
  20. BurtThomasWard

Maybe I've missed out on a few good ones, then. The three good ones I saw was really, really great, tho, so I feel that in a way I'm set for life. He played "Duncan & Brady" as a set opener the first time I saw him (I thought it was 1998, but no), a nice cover of "Not Fade Away" and a really, REALLY great "Love Sick". And every song you'd ever really want the first time you saw him:

Bob Dylan Setlist at Oslo Spektrum, Oslo

And I do not enjoy the 'standards'-Bob either. He may do whatever he pleases of course, but I don't have to listen to it :D

21. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

I was tempted but he would of said "i dont belive you" and then turn to the band and say "play fu+++n loud"

22. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

They were highlights of the show I saw last year. Different strokes.

23. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

The last time I saw him when he passed through Chicago was at the Cadillac Palace on 11/10/14 - I thought it was a great show.

I have definitely tapered off seeing him. From 97 to about 08, I have seen him around 35 times. Since then only about 4 times.

Walking out in 2014 - I told myself I am fine with this being the last time. Of course I have said that before - thus far I am sticking with it, though.
    I have no desire to see him play in an arena or outside (though I have seen him play some minor league ball parks and thought they were decent shows).
    He past through recently with Mavis Staples - but it was in a basketball arena, so I passed.

24. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

My last show was the Mavis Staples tour at Ravinia. Outdoor venue but I had seats in the pavillion. Sound was awful and the performance was uninspiring.

The Knopfler show was at the United Center and was great.

I've seen way more arena/stadium shows (all bands, not just Dylan) than small club/theaters overall, so I'm not generally turned off by the idea of a bigger or outdoor venue.

25. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

The concert was in recognition of the 50th anniversary of The Velvet Underground & Nico LP and John Cale played every track (I think) and I loved it! So glad I went and had a great week end in my old university city of Liverpool!

Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.