Tabular Rasa

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by verhfrank, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. verhfrank

verhfrank Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is anyone watching this show? My wife and I caught several episodes on our last visit to Belgium but left before the conclusion. Imagine our surprise when we saw it advertised as a 'Netfix Original'! Definitely worth a look...

2. verhfrank

Should be 'Tabula Rasa'... Spell-check...

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  3. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I've watched two episodes and am enjoying it so far. One question:
    When we see flashbacks to her home life, is she remembering them, or is it just for the audience's benefit? If she's remembering, then she's lying to everyone about how bad her amnesia is.

4. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I thought it was about Rastafarian accountants using an abacus. :)

5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I used to front a band who called themselves Tabula Rasa

6. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

In psychology, it has the same meaning, essentially, as it does in Latin: blank slate. As in, some theorists believe that we're born with a tabula rasa, i.e. having no biases, no preconceived ideas. I don't know if that helps with the show...

Edit:
    Tabula rasa refers to the epistemological idea that individuals are born without built-in mental content and that therefore all knowledge comes from experience or perception. Wikipedia

7. verhfrank

8. verhfrank

The story plays out in both the before the accident and after, so we are actually getting two different timelines. We finished it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it!

9. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

My wife and I have been loving it. Not sure why there isn't more buzz but I'd guess it's the language barrier.

10. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I'm not a binger, so finally watched the 4th episode over the weekend. The previous episodes seemed to be primarily a psychological thriller, with some vague mystery elements. When the 4th episode started w/ a Ouija board scene, I thought "Oh no, another ridiculous occult plot". But, I stuck with it. The rest of the episode was so brilliantly done, the hyperbole made me chuckle out loud several times. It was a lot of fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.