The Terror: Limited Series (AMC)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GodShifter, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

This looks pretty good. I loved the book (I've read it twice despite it being almost 800 pages). I'm a big nerd of the Franklin Expedition and have read many books on 19845-47 expedition to try and find the Northwest Passage. The Terror is horror novelist Dan Simmons' take on it with, of course, a supernatural/horror element added in. I'm pretty excited about this even though I kind of wish it wasn't on AMC and had gone to Netflix instead.

AMC’s ‘The Terror’ Sets Two-Hour Series Premiere Date, First-Look Photos

papatwo, DeeThomaz, EVOLVIST and 2 others like this.
  2. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

count me in.

3. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

I also liked the book. I'm in for this.

4. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Thanks for the heads up.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Loved the book! Count me in!

GodShifter likes this.
  6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

How was this?

7. GodShifter

I don’t think it starts until March of next year ...

8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Oops I thought it was this week. The story is somewhat similiar to Nahanni that johnod posted in the books thread about the legend of the lost gold mines in the Artic. The 16 in video documentary is unbelievable:
    Nahanni
    This short film focuses on the legend of a lost gold mine and a river in the Northwest Territories that lured men to their doom. Albert Faille, an aging prospector, set out time and again to find hidden gold. His route took him through the wild and awesome land particularly suited to the mood of this Canadian odyssey.

GodShifter likes this.
  9. GodShifter

That sounds really good. I need to check that out.

There are some great stories out there of explorations trying to explore the Arctic and suffering terrible deprivations, hardships, and death. The “Karluk” and “In the Kingdom of Ice” are two very good ones.

townsend and Brenald79 like this.
  10. One of Simmons' finest books. I'm also interested in seeing Drood and Endyminion series (Syfy was supposed to do the latter and--if Altered Carbon does well perhaps we may see it done WELL).

chrischerm, GodShifter and Encuentro like this.
  11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I'm going to check this one out

GodShifter likes this.
  13. I wonder how they will be able to tackle the ending effectively.

14. GodShifter

I like Ciaran Hinds as an actor but he’s a poor choice for playing John Franklin.

15. This looks extremely well made. Far from their fare that AMC has been giving us, outside of Better Call Saul.

Count me in. I didn't know it was limited, but hey, that's cool, too.

16. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I haven’t read the book so I’m going into this with a fresh perspective. So far so good, though I’m already having trouble understanding some of the dialogue with the heavy accents.

17. GodShifter

This started last night then? I missed it.

18. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Yes there was a sneak preview after Walking Dead but I believe it will be shown again tonight.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Looked good to me! Great job with the sets and costumes and acting seemed believable. I did not know anything about this historical event and read up about it on Wikipedia later. Seems very interesting. I hope they try to keep the plot plausible.

GodShifter and Witchy Woman like this.
  20. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

I'm friends with a couple who are both suffer from hearing issues. They watch everything with subtitles. I got into the habit after watching a few things with them. It's great for accents, when people whisper, loud back ground music, outside noises, identification (when they list names... I tend to have a facial recognition problem) or when you just want to watch at a low volume as folks are sleeping in the house. I'll actually never go back. My kids have also grown used to this to the point they will watch a foreign movie or show and almost not realize they are reading the subtitles.

Borgia and Rufus McDufus like this.
  21. GodShifter

If they go by the book, the plot will be somewhat plausible. Remember, this is a horror story based upon a real historical expedition. I read the novel twice and enjoyed it.

I’ve also read several books on the true historical events. The Terror is a melding of fact and fiction. For me, the factual elements played much better than the fiction/horror angle. Never the less, Simmons did a worthy job using the horror aspects to work in conjunction with what is assumed to happen to the crew and the ships.

22. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I enjoyed this. I hadn't even heard of the book or the show until this thread but made it a point to watch both hours last night. The Northwest Passage is an interesting aspect of history and I'm drawn to shows/movies that depict the winter effectively.

The third in command guy, James Fitzjames I think, looks distractingly like Tommy Lee Jones when he's got his hat on.

Captain John Franklin looks like he was born drunk!:cheers:

GodShifter and Frederick Mars like this.
  23. The book is a must read - you should read it when the there is snow on the ground (and the heating is turned down low). Looking forward to seeing the tv show but no date set for the UK as yet.

24. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

Watched the first two episodes last night. Really enjoyed it. Going to put the book on my list... and for those into the Northwest Passage there is a rather groovy board game about it.....

[​IMG]

xdawg, GodShifter and Frederick Mars like this.
  25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I'm very excited to see where this will go! The first episode's "scares" weren't very, however. Like someone else mentioned: the real life stuff seems far more terrifying.

Love the three leads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.