Heads up!........ifi Phono 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sailfish, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Well, first it was 600 bucks, so lucky for me it was not a big investment. That made pulling the trigger so quickly easier. Also, it appears to work well with even very low output carts, and the few reviews out there have been very good. It was there on amazon, easy to buy. I can't stand to be without my vinyl....so, perhaps i made a quick and poor decision....the future will tell.

As for the other products, i was thinking about the parasound, but it is nearly 3 times the price and as you pointed out, if i want to go lower output for a mc, it might not be the ideal fit. Was also looking at the musical surroundings phonomena, but got scared off by the amazon reviewer who has the same cart as me that said the noise floor was really high. Also looked at the Sutherland KC and the one above that, but heard from a reliable source that they might be a bit analytical and maybe less warm. Another option i looked at was buying the Mytek preamp and primaluna amp combination on sale at upscale audio....apparently the mytek has a mc phonostage that can handle the hana, and i really want to hear my rig with some tubes.......but, for the short term anyway, did not trust that the mytek phonostage would be very good. maybe i buy that set up in the future ... So, we shall see what the arcam is all about. I will report back after it arrives.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    TheVinylAddict likes this.
  2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You can't get more mainstream than Arcam in the UK (hardly obscure). Likely why their phono stage has been ignored on forums. They have a reputation for safe sound but I know some of their products have been excellent.

3. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I DIDN'T say I never heard of Arcam - I said I never heard of the Arcam Rphono! :) Of ciourse I have heard of Arcam, I have been buying audio gear since the mid 70's. (I think they started up in the 80's, no?) But you know how it is, just because a company makes good stuff doesn't mean everything they make or have made is.

I just never heard of the Rphono before, and I bet I am not alone!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    808_state likes this.
  4. TheVinylAddict

Thanks Terps - you touched on a few of the things I have seen too... I ruled out things like the JC3 Jr, Musical Surroundings for the same reasons. At $600 it sounds like you have a good option, and as another poster pointed out Arcam has a long history of providing good gear.

I would be interested to hear what you think of it after getting more time under your needle with it!!

TerpStation likes this.
  5. TerpStation

well, its only been available a few months, so i am sure not many people have. Only a couple of reviews and mentions on audio boards.

6. TheVinylAddict

I bet you made a good choice... there are a TON of good phono preamps coming out of the UK, and Arcam has a good name.

7. Classicrock

I think there was an earlier version. Arcam amps once had good phono sections so they have some experience. If it was reviewed last May must have been around a little longer but on the whole Arcam doesn't get the high profile it once did in Magazines and I see it discussed little on forums. The Phono R is widely available in the UK at £399 so will have to be better than sub £200 models such as MF V90 and Schiit Mani to justify it's position.

8. Classicrock

9. TerpStation

displayname likes this.
  10. Classicrock

Some news on Ifi Phono 2 problems - let's see if they fix it. They must have lost a lot of customers permanently over this.

11. Classicrock

HiViNwys is buying an Arcam Rphono for review.

808_state likes this.
  12. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I think the fact that he made a video probably factored into their response. Based on collective comments I seriously think it is a defective power supply that fries some part of a board.

13. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Glad to see they've fixed the problem. :) Just ordered one!

;)

displayname likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

:laughup:

Good one!

15. Classicrock

Good luck as no evidence they have actually fixed it.:D

16. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

When Ian gets excited in his videos he starts to sound like "Ahnold!"...I'd love to hang with the guy.

17. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

displayname likes this.
  18. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

If he thinks the Mani is "breathtaking" he hasn't heard a really good phonostage. Every time I watch one of his reviews, I'm reminded why I usually ignore them.

displayname and Strat-Mangler like this.
  19. Classicrock

Unlike his other comparisons I could hear little difference between Mani and Arcam apart from later being a little warmer and smoother. For definition based on his own videos I prefered the MF V90LPS to both (bought one for second system). The Mani may well be better but appears to have hum issues in some systems. I think you have to pay more for a real improvement.

HiFi Guy and Sir Talbot Buxomly like this.
  20. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

My neighbor currently upgraded his phono stage, so he lent me his gently used EAR 834p to see if I want to replace my ifi iphono2. I have a Technics SL-1200 MKII (stock) with a Denon DL-110 going through an Ars-Sonum Filarmonia tube integrated amp to Merlin TSM's (until my VSM's arrive shortly). Damned if I can't tell a difference between the two. Just started comparing late last night, so I definitely need more time to compare, but the iphono2 is pretty amazing. I'll try and post additional thoughts as I get the new speakers installed.

21. Classicrock

He owns a really expensive Avid phono stage.

displayname likes this.
  22. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I believe your second system is the one with the Pioneer PLX-1000? I use the same Musical Fidelity V90 LPS with this table.

How do you compare it with your higher end phono? Is the other one so much better? I'm thinking of trying a more expensive phono.

Edit: and more expensive cartridges too. I have a feeling that I can take more from that turntable.

23. Classicrock

I did a bake off / review against my two phono stages in current use and a modified Cambridge using my main rig and MC cartridge. The NVA phono 2 (twin PS) was a clear winner but the MF acquitted itself rather well blowing away the modified (Arkless) Cambridge. Also ran the NVA with the PLX1000 for about 5 months initially with one power supply. Purchased 2nd power supply after the Orbe. Pretty clear improvements at each upgrade. Same cartridge used.

punkmusick likes this.
  24. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

So to switch the MF for the NVA having the same Pioneer as a source would be a great improvement in your experience?

25. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with the man, he knows his hi-fi. However, he likes well performing budget gear and he expresses this in a very enthusiastic fashion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.