What's the best sounding "Boston"???????

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by robby, Nov 28, 2004.

1. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

That's some awesome info , Thanks .
    I bought a DLB ESCA 5211 (1990) Japan , It was really cheap but I guess it's the later mastering :(

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    RnRmf likes this.
  2. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I haven't heard the later mastering but unless it's just abysmal, I can't imagine you're missing that much because this first cd issue may be the one to have for collectors, due to rarity, but sound quality wise, it's kind of thin sounding, although very natural sounding. The balance seems right.
    I'll probably pick up one of the later 80's masterings just to see what it's like, one day, if I run across one very cheap.

sa5150 likes this.
  3. Boy Blue

Boy Blue Forum Resident

Just got the DSD download which is from the SACD, I'm very underwhelmed. It lacks bass and has a little bit too much mid, very weak sounding. I'll stick to my original Epic CD. Should've listened to Steve...:sigh:

4. aficionaudio

aficionaudio Forum Resident

I REALLY wish Friday Music released this new mastering in a high-res or SACD format too. Kevin Gray always does a phenomenal job. :cry:

sa5150 and Brian Vollrath like this.
  5. Brian Vollrath

Brian Vollrath Forum Resident

Thanks for letting us know. I was sort of tempted to try the DSD download. I can resist temptation now.

6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It’s not written concisely. It’s all the same thing. Original analog master —> DSD master file. DSD master file —>SACD & Acoustic Sounds download.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

BTW...Although not advertised as such, the Friday Music issue of Don't Look Back is also a Kevin Gray master:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brian Vollrath likes this.
  8. Brian Vollrath

Just wondering if you have compared this with the original Japan CD? If it would be a worthwhile upgrade to get this on vinyl? Thanks.

9. Brian Vollrath

I just ordered one. It should be here Thursday.

10. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Was going through my cds and I guess I had DLB all along and it says made in japan but there are no blue prints inside , Just a really bad 2 side really cheap quality pictures inside . I found another on ebay and the seller said his did not have blue prints either . Were there 2 japan for usa copies ? and do both have the 35 8P master ? I did find a vinyl picture online of a 35 8p and they have the blue prints .

11. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

Friday music has the first album, Kevin Gray mastering coming out on limited edition red and blue vinyl by the end of this month. I already have it on black vinyl but will get a blue copy also.

It sounds very good by the way.

Brian Vollrath likes this.
  12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The 35 8P looks to be unique mastering wise. 32 8P mastering carried over to the US and can be found on the US DI8P DADC manufacture and later IFPI's (90's)

13. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

The original (cd) release sounds very good and is inexpensive.

14. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

There were 2 Japan for USA copies, using both masters. The easiest way I've found to spot the difference is by the "compact disc digital audio logo" on the front cover. On the 35 8P master it's in white, on the right hand side of the cover, and on the later master, it's orange-ish, and on the left side of the cover. You can see both of these at discogs. The first Japan for the USA has the 35 8P matrix, as well. Another difference I've noticed on the later master copies of the cd is that the disc itself has 2 different layouts of the song titles, but both should be the same, later master.

sandimascharvel and c-eling like this.
  15. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

Impulsivity has taken over and I just bought the later master so I can compare to the 35-8P. Further, it's an early Japan for USA copy. It wasn't listed as such, so it was pretty cheap.

c-eling likes this.
  16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Good info, thanks!
    Yep both 32 8P's US manufacture's I have are 'Orange' left side

RnRmf likes this.
  17. Brian Vollrath

I have it black vinyl which will good enough for me.

18. Brian Vollrath

This "Don't Look Back" by Friday Music is now my go-to for listening.

19. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Their cry of mercy when the Toronto Maple Leafs are beating them. Unfortunately that’s not happening right now.....
    :mad:

landerstnkb likes this.
  20. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

what do you think of the cds , how do they compare ?

21. Brian Vollrath

The CDs of the S/T and Don't Look Back just sound too thin to me. The Friday Music vinyl has a nice full sound. It has a even spectrum of lows and highs. For the S/T, I even like Friday Music better than the Wally. I feel that a lot of care was given to the Friday Music Boston vinyl. If you have a turntable, I totally recommend these.

22. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Is the blue vinyl good as well from Friday Music for the S/T release

23. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I compared them the other day, and the result was mixed.
    Also, I've never heard the vinyl as a reference.
    I think my system is relatively revealing, and with the benefit of comparison, I can imagine someone in the band or at the label requesting the album be mastered, again, for the second cd release in 1986 or whenever that happened but that's certainly just speculation on my part.

The 35-8P master lacks dynamics, sounds a bit more distant, and lacks tonal color, by comparison to the 1986 version. Does this suggest a flat transfer? I don't think so. I think it's more likely a tape copy of some variety.

There are undoubtedly areas where the '86 that would be considered bright, splashy, and kind of rough sounding, although it would be wrong for me to say that as a blanket statement about the entire disc. The cymbals in parts of the '86 don't resolve enough and are irritating. My brain almost interprets it as noise. The first song on the disc may be the worst offender for me, because it's unexpected. Not a great disc due to those qualities.

But given the dynamics seem more lively than the 35-8P, it's a toss up for me to say which is better.
    Truly, I think they are both flawed. Brighter systems might prefer the 35-8P, Fuller sounding systems might see the choice as more of a toss up, with no entirely satisfying choice.

But I will say this - the music is good enough, to me, that neither disc truly spoils my enjoyment of the music.
    The qualities I noted for each disc, are very evident from track 1 on both discs, but I get used to it. I haven't grabbed one copy more than the other to listen to this week.

Also, I noticed that the discogs page for this album reads that the early cd issue of this album had "spaceship blueprints," like the original album did.
    The early Japan for USA 35-8P disc has lyrics and no pictures. The 1986 issue has the gatefold pictures from the album but no lyrics.
    I don't think that the Japan issue 35-8P issue had the blueprints, either, from pictures I've seen on ebay and discogs.
    Maybe some other country had them but it doesn't look like they are included in 35-8P copies.

So after my comparison, what to do?
    I've listened to this album so much in the last few weeks, I love it now.
    Subsequently, I bought the Mastersound gold disc the other day and I'm waiting for it to arrive.
    I'll chime in with that comparison to the these after I get some time to listen to it.

sa5150 likes this.
  24. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

I got to hear the Friday Vinyls while good better then some other reissue labels , I was expecting much more from the hype. I wish they would do a cd/sacd counterpart for some of us who don't collect vinyl . :)

aficionaudio likes this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

If they really wanted to make the colored vinyl version of this cool they should have a combination of the red and blue into a splatter flame.

Blue..red....boring.