Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It is possible, however when RSD titles are announced there are several categories including Limited editions and first releases. Neil Young was a first release so we knew it would come out later. Pink Floyd is not listed in that category.

But who knows??

Easy-E likes this.
  2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Can we clear this up... this is a single LP release with no bonus cuts and in the US will not retail for more than $25...is this not correct? I saw the pre-order list at a local shop...can anyone else show otherwise?

3. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Thats what the listing now says - it didnt before but now it does - single LP, with a poster and an outer sleeve with the gold colouring and swirly dots, with the original sleeve inside and a gold label and we haven't seen the back and we don't know if its laminated (prob not)

RSD '18 Special Release: Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates of Dawn (Mono)

As for price - up to your store owner - I know where Ill be getting mine it will be around $20/25 but elsewhere...??

scotti likes this.
  4. Antx

Antx Forum Resident

Just found an RSD list on Pie and vinyl website with a price for the mono Pink Floyd, think the wax blew out my ears it’s listed as £39.99
    Anybody else in UK confirm , might have to chop my list at these prices

5. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Record store day prices are just ridiculous. I’m limiting myself to this and the Jeff Buckley Sin E records..

6. Antx

Antx Forum Resident

On my list as well and price on that site is £49.99 for Buckley

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Almost $60? I don’t buy that, but I’m also a little skeptical of the $20-$25 prices I’ve seen for the RSD version.

With the special RSD packaging, I could see street prices in the $30-$35 range and then in the $20-$25 range when it inevitably gets reissued in a standard jacket.

8. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I am not in the UK, but the LP will cost me 28 Euros.

NunoBento likes this.
  9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

So right in the middle of the $30-$35 range I guessed at in my post above yours...

Nightswimmer likes this.
  10. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

My dealer is very inexpensive though. At another dealer it will be 32.

11. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

i am very happy with the decision to re-release this. One of my first PF albums was a US repress of this. With the decision to also repress PULSE one has to believe that Is There Anybody Out There? can't be far behind.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  12. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

Forgive my ignorance. I haven't read this full thread, but can someone please enlighten me as to why there is such excitement about this issue?
    Piper has been available for years in mono on CD (I have a copy) and can still be obtained quite cheaply.

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Vinyl cut from (presumably) a 24/192 source by the same team which was responsible for the generally highly regarded vinyl re-issues of the entire catalog...

VS

A CD from years ago?

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  14. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

As mentioned upthread, the single-sided Interstellar Overdrive was being sold for 40 Euros in my local store. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see them ask for the same this time around.

15. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Already seeing this for $60.00 on EBay. How can people do this before it’s even released?
    I have the mono CD and still have my mono Tower so I’m ok with not getting this.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You might be right. But 15,000 globally (I think that’s the number, right?) at $40-$50+ (vs 4,000 units for Interstellar)?

Seems like that price point (if correct) might be an overreach, IMO.

17. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

How explicit are these numbers, though ? I'm pretty sure most RSD shoppers expect their purchases to be collectors' item, and that distributors price them accordingly.
    I can't quite, however, account for such huge differences in price between the US and the EU when they don't concern imports.

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I think the price will drop after the release date. Happened with Interstellar Overdrive '66 last year, too.

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I think the numbers are fairly explicit (albeit unaudited by you or me). Of course, collectibility factors into at least some RSD pricing. That’s why I guessed $30-$35.

We’re only speculating on prices, so I’m not sure here is anything to account for yet re: US vs EU pricing...

20. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Where will you buy it from?

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I still believe there will be a regular release of the mono Piper as well.

Szeppelin75 and andrewskyDE like this.
  22. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Other than limited numbered editions, I've never seen press runs indicated on a RSD copy (on a sticker, for instance). A shopper that hasn't done some serious homework in advance has no way to tell how rare his purchase is (unless, perhaps, his store has huge piles on offer !).
    As for pricing difference, while it is indeed speculative in this point in time, we do have last year's IO release to go on. US shoppers saw it go as low as 13 Dollars, whereas it was 40 Euros in my store.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Aren’t the press runs generally indicated on practically every press release? And if you’re someone who knows about - and particularly someone who lines up at 6am for - RSD, there’s probably a pretty good chance you’ve perused the list of the RSD releases to see what you might want to buy.

Maybe EU stores got fewer copies of Stellar? It seems the opposite this year (which is another reason to be skeptical of a 40GBP price point for Piper mono).

24. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

But how can they offer something for sale that they don’t actually own?

25. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I've bought quite a lot of RSD releases over the years and I've never had the slightest idea of their press runs ! I have checked the RSD website and don't remember ever seeing numbers there.
    (I've never queued nor felt bitterly disappointed about missing anything, I must add.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.