Tony Banks - Five (new solo album, classical, Feb. 2018, includes unused Genesis ideas)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far. Thread Starter

Tony Banks to release new orchestral album Five

Hm... interested in that piece and the album as a whole, anything new from him is good to hear about - plus anything Genesis related. His version of Mike's Compression (1980 b-side from Smallcreep's Day), only 38 years later... we'll see. 2LP vinyl too if you like... I'll pass for a new release.

2. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

There's a signed vinyl version available from his website as well I believe, I've gone for that to complete my set of Genesis autographs, the music will be a bonus!!

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Looks like the vinyl is not signed. The music folio is signed. Hopefully by Tony Banks himself (it doesn't actually say).

About 30 UKP delivered to the US...not cheap.

4. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

It would be pretty crappy if it wasn't signed by him personally! I'm sure it will be, this is hardly a big volume release. Looking forward to it.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  5. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Awesome! Been waiting for the news on this

6. Eleventh Earl of Mar

7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Nice piece, thanks for sharing! Why is it that every time I watch an orchestra or group of fine musicians in this type of setting, that I always see the following in my head ...

S. 0 Schleptet: Peter Schickele

8. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Got this on preorder. Looking forward to my vinyl copy.

9. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Got notification that it shipped yesterday. I ordered it from his website. Looking forward to hearing all this on my vinyl setup. I enjoyed his last two, 7 and 6.

10. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Have to wonder where the ideas are coming from - I mean, with the orchestration this could be anything... it does remind me a lot of A Curious Feeling though.

11. dude

dude Senior Member

Just finished listening to the whole album today (and yesterday). To be fair, I would have to go back and listen to Six and Seven but, I think hear much more of Tony's late seventies composing ideas and style in this release than I do the others. Not so steeped in the classical realm, and it makes me wish this type of composing could once again be used in the rock format, but I guess those days are gone. The sound on this cd is so strange. When I first put it on I hear almost a 70's rock grit quality to it. Even the orchestra reminds me of the mellotrons and keyboards used back then. Seems to disappear after awhile of listening though. Oddly enough, "Renaissance" is the least Genesis sounding to me and my least favorite track.

12. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

I agree: 7&6 were very much in the standard classical idiom, but this one reminds me of the Wakeman-era compositions in the 70s. I also like it very much: it reminds me of how much TB defined the Genesis 'sound'. In one interview, he states how close the final versions were to the keyboard demos he produced. Now I'd love to hear those...

I wonder if he'd ever consider writing again with Anthony Philips? I suspect their styles would dovetail wonderfully.

13. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Unfortunately my vinyl copy is sharply warped. Both discs exactly the same. The tonearm jumps around at the beginning. Pretty much unplayable. I contacted TB customer service hopefully they will send replacement discs. I attached a short video in the email of the problem. Hopefully that will answer any of their questions.

14. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Although I don't have Five yet, I've just bought Six. I'm no connoisseur of classical music but I'm enjoying it immensely, as a nice collection of lovely melodies. So, well done Tony B. :agree:

Jvalvano likes this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Anyone get this? Is the autograph on the vinyl LP or on the music folio?

Someone else got a hugely warped copy? Anyone get a vinyl copy that's in good shape?

Trying to decide if I spend on the vinyl or just get the cheap CD for now.

16. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Hi there,

I got it - the vinyl seems OK, doesn't seem warped to me (I haven't actually got around to playing it yet, but I did get it out and inspect it). The signature is on the folio, which is effectively just a branded card folder with the music printed out looseleaf inside it, not hugely exciting, but it's clearly and legibly signed by the great man - who turned 68 yesterday I believe.

17. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

The vinyl does sound great. My first copy was warped badly got a replacement, it was fine. Plays beautifully. I'm really enjoying this album.

18. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I am currently listening to Tony being interviewed for the Tabletop Genesis podcast.

Podcasts – Tabletop Genesis

Mostly it's discussing his solo work, including quite a lot of discussion about "Five".

Quote: "And then I was just bluesing around a bit..." I never knew that "blues" could be a verb. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.