Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

goodiesguy likes this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Different tastes. She's kind of a one-trick pony. If you'd take out sex and bodily functions from her act, there'd be nothing left for her to talk about. Some people, such as myself, want more versatility from their comedians.

goodiesguy likes this.
  3. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Or Gary Cole.

ianuaditis and Lownote30 like this.
  4. It might've been OK if Albert Brooks and Apatow's wife had been cut out and the movie only centered on Paul Rudd's character.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

This Is 40, referenced above

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's the Conundrum of Schumer. On one hand, the upcoming "I Feel Pretty" posits her as a women so unattractive that she can't get a date.

On the other hand, "Trainwreck" landed her with a slew of men, and super-hunky Cena falls in love with her! A guy who looks like Cena could have his pick of women!

And the Hader character was a wealthy physician for star athletes a) whose best pal was LeBron James and b) who hung out with NBA cheerleaders. He also could have his pick of women.

But yet both fall for Schumer - and then we're supposed to view her as ugly and unappealing in later films?

I know - ACTING! But it doesn't seem like Schumer plays roles that are very different from each other...

Pete Puma likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

I actually prefer the sequel! :shrug:

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues [Blu-Ray] (2013)

8. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

It makes me sad whenever I see Robert Deniro in a really bad comedy, like the one where he plays Zac Efron’s pervert grandfather.

He went from The Godfather 2 and Taxi Driver to this garbage? :confused:

9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I watched Napoleon Dynamite because my buddy said it was as funny as The Big Lebowski.

Didn't make me so much as crack a smile. Not funny.

10. Just to clarify: I was referring to her character in the movie, not so much Schumer physically - I gotta admit I think she's kind of cute. But her character came off so dense and unprofessional, I could just see Hader's doctor character thinking "geez, will this bimbo stop wasting my time?!?"

11. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I didn't like it either. All of the characters were grating. However, I have found that many people who really like Napoleon Dynamite get their panties in a bunch when they discover that somebody else doesn't care for it.

Strat-Mangler and Lightworker like this.
  12. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Not actually that popular in Idaho.

13. I liked it, but it's easy to see how many wouldn't. I usually don't go for these affectedly quirky movies, but somehow this one worked for me.

goodiesguy and AndrewS like this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Turned it off after 10 min. I could see where it was going. I've never found extremely eccentric losers funny in comedy.

15. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I loved the offbeat characters throughout the movie Napolean Dynamite. That's what made it a cult classic. I'd never seen it before I saw it on TBS.

16. Strat-Mangler

Madagascar might not be a traditional comedy but it's still supposed to be one. When the first one came out, I brought a date to it. We looked at each other, perplexed that this would be made at all. Every character flailed their arms and bounced around the frame as if to cry for attention and there was a ridiculous amount of cuts. My guess is about 2 seconds before each cut occurred. Easily the most "screaming for attention" movie I've ever seen!

It was not funny in the least or even interesting. That was the last DreamWorks animation movie I've ever opted to watch. I'll stick to Pixar, thank you.

17. Oatsdad

Yeah, there's that, too! :)

I remain more befuddled by the fact one movie posits a Schumer character as able to land a slew of appealing men but another makes it look like she can't attract flies -even though she looks the same in both!

Dudley Morris likes this.
  18. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Depends on who you ask. I know several people, including my gal, who absolutely hate some of my old favorites like The Naked Gun movies, Mr. Bean (tv show) or Conan O'Brien as a talk show host and won't laugh even once. And conversely plenty of people's favorite comedies aren't movies or shows I find funny. British humor and movies or tv heavy on meta/inside references can be pretty polarizing with folks.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  19. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

What I said about Finnish comedies does not really apply to Leningrad Cowboys Go America - Aki Kaurismäki who directed it can hardly be called a typical Finn. His works are more like an antithesis of Finnishness. Thus, a typical Finnish comedy would be everything that LCGA is not.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Women tend to dislike slapstick. Never met a single one who ever found it funny. A shame but differences make life interesting. :)

21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Well, they do emotionally mature faster than us males.

22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Not me. I really enjoyed repeated viewings but now I could do without it, I still find it mildly humorous.

ianuaditis likes this.
  23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Did you, or has anyone here seen Lars and the Real Girl? I thought it somewhat mined the awkward humor of ND with a bit more heart. ND somewhat forces you to find the good parts of the characters while in Lars you just actually do like them.

Anyway I thought I would at least bring up the comparison.

24. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

25. Strat-Mangler

But we have way more fun. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.