Which 2mm Spacer for Rega RP1?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoguy, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Rega decks are my fav. I've owned 6 of them!

2. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

Good for you Art!! You really cant beat the price/performance ratio of the Rega family.

3. s13coupe

s13coupe Well-Known Member

@stereoguy, I couldn't tell from the thread, but are you still looking for a spacer? My local dealer only sold them in pairs. I'm running a 2mm spacer on my RB 303 with 2m bronze. I've monkeyed around quite a bit with no spacer, 2mm and 4mm and ultimately settled on 2mm.

I'm not using the extra spacer and will gladly ship it to you (you pay shipping) for free.

4. stereoguy

s13coupe....PM sent. gracias!

5. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I have the Rega multi mm spacer. Between having the 12mm thick platter instead of 10mm thick and an Ortofon Quintet Blue which is about the tallest cartridge, I am using the 8mm tall posts on the spacer. I even had to get the Rega thin mat that is used for the RP10. LOL.

6. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

The Planar 2 has two major advantages over the Planar 1. The glass platter and a very capable tonearm. The Planar 3 offers a 2mm thicker platter, provision for the TT-PSU, the tonearm can be dynamically balanced, and it has the brace. The Planar two offers much of the performance of the 3. I agree with stereoguy that the Planar 2 is a screaming bargain.

jphabc54 likes this.
  7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I dunno if its been said yet but do know that after 2mm spacing of the tonearm the lid might hit the top of the counter weight. So only space a maximum of 2mm or if you need more you should get an underslung counter weight as well if you want to use the lid.

PhxJohn likes this.
  8. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I got the Groovetracer underslung counterweight. If I had to do it again, I would get the Technoweight or whatever it is called.

Leonthepro likes this.
  9. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Sorry dude - my attempt at some humour after over indulging!

10. stereoguy

LOL.....No problem pal, we've all been there!

11. stereoguy

You know Leon, after putting in the spacer, my lid just barely grazes the counterweight. BUT, I will put the plastic dots on the plinth (that protect the plinth from the falling lid) and that will raise it just enough.

Leonthepro likes this.
  12. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Thats a good idea.

13. stereoguy

Thanks! Cheap, too!!

14. Mike Pinkerton

Mike Pinkerton Member

Totally off topic (well, not really, it's still about Rega...), but why replace the counterweight? I saw a video this morning when researching spacers where the guy claimed he heard an audible difference from using a different weight. Um, yeah, sure? How can this actually impact the sound, or is it just a better way to set (and lock in) the precise weight for balance?

-mike

15. stereoguy

I upgraded my New Rega P2 with a 2mm spacer,
    Cork mat, hockey pucks under the feet, and GE VR-1000 Cartridge. Didnt go for a new counterweight or sub platter, just didnt think they were needed. The sound I'm getting is wonderful, a definite upgrade from my Rega RP1
    With Shure M91ED. Running the P2 into a Jolida JD9 with upgraded burr brown op amps and 1964 Sylvania 5751 Gold Brand valves. The Ventures never sounded so hot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.